Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, long time forum user, just not this one.
Anyhow, my 95 has been whining and vibrating, I have determined it is the pinion bearing(s) because I can move the yoke up and down about 1/4-1/2" at a time! :cry
I've been in search of some answers that I cannot find,

The crush sleeve, is it reusable when a new bearing is installed?
I've never had one apart so I don't know if that is something that needs to be replaced as it is done, or if it is even possible to get it off in one piece?
I'd like to not have to torque the nut down to crush the new sleeve if at all possible, however if it is necessary I will make sure to do it.

How do you get the old bearing off the shaft? I have a cutting wheel but am afraid of damaging the shaft, and would like to make them into "dummy bearings" as they call it..

As of now I have the inner and outer bearings, the races, and the front seal, I can get the crush sleeve, and am wondering if there is any other parts necessary to replace those two bearings?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
26,042 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I use a shop press and bearing splitter to remove bearings. Yes you are supposed to replace the crush sleeve but.... I have seen them reused without a problem. IMO spend a few dollars for a new one, better safe than sorry!

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
oh boy....

do not reuse the old crush sleeve with new bearings.

I dont advise replacing just one bearing, the others are probably bad as well.

dont use the old bearings as setup bearings. they are worn out and failing.

chances are if you have that much up and down movement in the pinion the ring and pinion gears are wasted as well.

I'd recommend 100% tare down, inspection and probably new r/p with master bearing kit. It would be a good idea to replace the axle bearings and seals as well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts