Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

261 - 275 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Sometimes I contemplate putting an air horn on it. I was driving my wife's old '03 Accord a couple of years ago and we went to the school to pick up our kids. This is an old, like from the early 1900's, school building, so there's no parking lot or pickup and drop off location. They have angled parking spots along the side of the school and then it's just neighborhood streets behind them. Well we picked up our three kids, then I backed out of the parking space and we had to sit there in the middle of the street behind all of the angled parking until the row of cars in front of us moved out of the way. They're not supposed to stop in the street like that, but there might have been kids crossing the intersection, I don't know and that's not the point!

The point is... as I was sitting there I noticed an elderly school teacher get into her SUV, she started it up, didn't bother to look into her mirrors, and backed into us. I was literally staring at her in her driver side mirror and laying on the horn as I could not move my car and she obviously did not hear it. Man that brings back some unpleasant memories. "Oh, I'm sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't see you there". That old chestnut.

Anyway, I'll try some tuning sessions on the horns later this week. I'm working on all the small stuff since I can't drive this pos right now.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,181 Posts
I've wanted the same for a long time and if the setup weren't so expensive, I'd throw a set of air horns on Bog. It seems a fitting notification sound for him.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #263

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
The ol' Bronco's just been sitting. It's waiting for me to work some more on the stupid power steering, but my motivation waned greatly as I dealt with some other things. I was actually going to give it another shot the other day after I did a round of oil changes on my fleet, but when I was down there I noticed the lower line (return) on the power steering box was leaking. I checked the pump reservoir and it was nearly dry. Guess it was a good thing I left the catch pan I used when removing the old box under the Bronco as I didn't trust anything to not leak. I've been forcing myself to get out of the house and work on stuff, so I guess that leaky line will be the next thing I force myself to fix. I just hope it doesn't keep raining. It seems one side of the country is still getting hit with high heat and the other is getting snow. Apparently I'm close enough to the middle to get the rain and wind.

I'm actually curious if the leak was always there, but now it's just leaking more and obvious to see. That would explain why the system was constantly full of air. It really was difficult to get the lines back on the new box, but the shop that did my frame repair didn't mention seeing any leaks and they didn't take off the lines on the box as they were able to just unbolt it and pivot it out of the way enough to do their work. Guess we'll see eventually. One of these days I'll get to drive it again.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
It's been a while. Bronco's still where I left it, like a good boy! I haven't been in a hurry to get it going again, but it's time to do something.

Probably a week or so ago I went and fiddled with the lines right at the box and the one that had been leaking was just straight up loose, which was weird. It just needed tightening.

Before attempting anything further I decide to contact Redhead and see what they had to say and they said what I figured they would, which is to do a super duper magical bleeding process. I do about 99.9% of my stuff by myself, so doing this bleeding is difficult as I can't fill the reservoir while cranking the engine and turning the wheel at the same time. Now I know why my mom told me as a little kid to go out and make some friends. Having said that, here are the instructions I was given just in case anyone else would like to attempt things on their own rig.

SECONDARY BLEEDING INSTRUCTIONS
DROPPING FLUID & STARTING OVER

Unhook hoses at the steering gear and drain fluid completely. Cover
steering gear ports with a piece of plastic or rag and then turn gear
back and forth fully, lock to lock at least 3 times spitting out as much
fluid as you can.

Hook up the pressure line to the port on the gear. Very slowly pour
fluid into reservoir and I stress very slowly. Once you have clear fluid
coming out of the return port re-attach the return line to the port and
finish filling the reservoir. Make sure the reservoir is the full mark
at all times while bleeding!

Once you have this completed, return to the normal bleeding
procedure, engine off, wheels off the ground, turning lock to lock 30-
40 times lock to lock, stopping at times, to jerk the steering wheel left-
right, left-right, left-right a few times. Walk away for a few hours
once this is done. Make sure the reservoir is above full at all times
while bleeding!

Do the same normal bleeding procedure, engine off, wheels of the
ground, turning back and forth 30-40 times lock to lock, stopping at
times, to jerk the steering wheel left-right, left-right, left-right a few
times. Make sure the reservoir is above full at all times while
bleeding!

Start the engine and then do the same normal bleeding procedure,
engine off, wheels offing the ground, turning back and forth many
many times lock to lock, stopping at times, to jerk the steering wheel
left-right, left-right, left-right a few times. Make sure the reservoir is
over full at all times while bleeding!

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Also for referance
These 78/79 boxes more or less have the ports in the incorrect spot, which can make bleeding them a challenege.
Also I have made an extension out of some random pvc stuff laying around as to catch the airated fluid when it expands. Helped me get this done without making a huge mess, by myself.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Also for referance
These 78/79 boxes more or less have the ports in the incorrect spot, which can make bleeding them a challenege.
Also I have made an extension out of some random pvc stuff laying around as to catch the airated fluid when it expands. Helped me get this done without making a huge mess, by myself.

I had considered trying to make some sort of apparatus similar to those "spill-free" funnels that people use to burp their radiators and then just loading it up with fluid on the pump reservoir while cranking the engine so I didn't have to worry about level and then sucking out the excess with a turkey baster when I was done. Something like that anyway.

I've been sick as shit this week, so I'm basically gathering ideas and then I'll go execute them later. I need to get the Bronco back in order before I get too far ahead on my other project.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The backside that holds the plate the screws screw into is a bit messed up, probably from me hittin' that Scheiße so hard and so much.
best quote ! as I find my most loved word "Scheisse" - you know I am a german guy :)

great thread - I guess I may have to walk through a lot of similiar things as I will replace all steering related stuff as well, once my white '79 arrives to Germany.

I do hope you can come over it, as I think you already did a lot and even dig into a lot of things, which I really like! As said, I guess I will have to do most of that as well....

Have a going and get healthy soon!
Looking forward to updates!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
best quote ! as I find my most loved word "Scheisse" - you know I am a german guy :)

great thread - I guess I may have to walk through a lot of similiar things as I will replace all steering related stuff as well, once my white '79 arrives to Germany.

I do hope you can come over it, as I think you already did a lot and even dig into a lot of things, which I really like! As said, I guess I will have to do most of that as well....

Have a going and get healthy soon!
Looking forward to updates!

In the famous words of JFK, Ich bin ein Jelly Donut (Berliner).

Yes, I'm pretty sure a lot of people on this site say scheisse in one language or another when working on their Bronco. I took German in school when I was 15-16 (long time ago) and the first words we looked up, of course, were the curse words. I think dummkopf was another popular word.

I'll eventually get my Bronco sorted out. If this was a vehicle that I had to drive every day I don't think I would have bought it, I would have bought a nicer one, but for a $700 "project" it hasn't been too bad. It snowed a few inches yesterday and it hasn't melted yet, so I haven't bothered to go lay under the Bronco in the street. I have everything on the power steering unbolted and ready to be drained and bled again according to Redhead's instructions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sometimes I really like the internet - “meeting” nice people... whilst researching knowledge for the project car.
I did pay a lot more than you did, but I do hope it’s mechanically in at least ok condition and go from there....

where are you living? I may be in US next year and I got to visit NC and some places in CO - at least my list says I gotta do this ....

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Sometimes I really like the internet - “meeting” nice people... whilst researching knowledge for the project car.
I did pay a lot more than you did, but I do hope it’s mechanically in at least ok condition and go from there....

where are you living? I may be in US next year and I got to visit NC and some places in CO - at least my list says I gotta do this ....
Just from looking at the pictures of the Bronco you bought I'd say you're far ahead of where I was when I bought mine. Yours sure doesn't seem to have a bunch of body damage/rust like mine does. I wasn't looking for a Bronco when I bought mine nor was I wanting to buy a vehicle at all. I was actually wanting a short bed truck like the 77 F-100 I have, but as a 4x4 and sort of have a matching set (2x4 and 4x4) and I intended to go looking for one a few years later. Then I saw that Bronco and wondered what was better, a super cheap Bronco that needs a lot of work or wait until I find a decent short bed 4x4 F-100/150. I decided to go with the Bronco as it can hold my whole family and here I am! FSB member.

I live in Idaho, which is sort of close to Colorado (CO), at least when compared to North Carolina (NC). You'd have to go through Utah and then up to Idaho to get to where I am if you were in Colorado which would be quite a drive. I'm not sure I'd be worth the trip! lol You might enjoy seeing my Deutscher schäferhund. He's probably the only thing that's cost me as much as my Bronco in repair bills. Or if you're into BASE jumping you could risk your life jumping off the Perrine Bridge here in town. It seems to be a very popular BASE jumping spot and nearly every time I drive over it there's at least one person getting ready to go off it with their parachute. We get a lot of people from out of state coming here to do just that.

The snow stopped falling last night and has now melted into water today, so I'll probably give the power steering another shot today, as it's my day off, and see what I end up with. Maybe I'll get lucky and everything will work perfect. Then I can tear up some snow and mud offroad. Worst thing that could happen is the Bronco keeps sitting there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the post.
Yes the car seems to be rust free, mostly at least, some corners of the roof seemingly show brown/orange color. Lets see in 6-8 weeks when its here. Its not shipped yet, as the seller needs to get new stuff for me.

you did take a good decision, as you kept a Bronco alive, which is worth it, hopefully !

Its getting cold here as well, we had -9 Celsius in the morning ~15,8 Fahrenheit.
Not a fan of base jumping honestly... CO to Idaho seems managle, in Idaho there was a nice bronco with a 460, but too much lift, too low geared and in package too expensive :cool:

If its not too bad, get that steering done :)

261 - 275 of 275 Posts