Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

321 - 340 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
78 Bronco 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
hahahahahahahaha thats the exact wheel I got on mine lolol. Wish I had those immaculate floor pans though, the PO's never bothered to dry out the truck when water got in just added more and more mats as rust/holes appeared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, that's gotta be a bitch to drive. I know we have power steering and all, but geez. I guess it would give you less "play" in your wheel since it's smaller. It'd require less turning to correct things even if it was the same amount of degrees that the wheel was turning.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Man, that's gotta be a bitch to drive. I know we have power steering and all, but geez. I guess it would give you less "play" in your wheel since it's smaller. It'd require less turning to correct things even if it was the same amount of degrees that the wheel was turning.
Oh yeah it is, especially when I was doing 45mph in town and my fuel pump cut out.... surprised I didn't crash it tbh. Haven't really driven it more than 10 times in the year I've had it. The tires are really dry rotted and the floor pans were completely gone flintstones style lol. Finally got those done with @youngDUMP 's help and he has an extra set of tires I'm buying off of him. Hopefully the rain will stop and we'll be able to finish all the major stuff besides the cosmetics. Let me know how much I owe ya

·
Registered
78 Bronco 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Hopefully the rain will stop and we'll be able to finish all the major stuff besides the cosmetics.
I'm waiting on that too. I waited for the rain to stop then I removed all the weatherstripping on the driver side door on my flatbed truck and removed all the cab lights off of it. I parked it for the night and the next morning it snowed, so eff me right.

If you're not in a hurry for the stuff, think of other things you may need. I may as well make the cost of shipping worthwhile and I'll be back at the JY sometime this week to look for some other items for myself.

I almost snagged that gauge cluster in that truck with the little steering wheel since it's already painted red and would go with my LEDs. lol I'm pretty sure I'm going to change out the LEDs, they're already starting to crap out, but it was an interesting experiment.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm waiting on that too. I waited for the rain to stop then I removed all the weatherstripping on the driver side door on my flatbed truck and removed all the cab lights off of it. I parked it for the night and the next morning it snowed, so eff me right.

If you're not in a hurry for the stuff, think of other things you may need. I may as well make the cost of shipping worthwhile and I'll be back at the JY sometime this week to look for some other items for myself.

I almost snagged that gauge cluster in that truck with the little steering wheel since it's already painted red and would go with my LEDs. lol I'm pretty sure I'm going to change out the LEDs, they're already starting to crap out, but it was an interesting experiment.

Oh yeah I'm in no hurry, I'm sure I'll think of more things there's a whole lot missing on my truck haha. Just let me know how much I owe you so far in parts so I can put that money aside, otherwise I'll spend it lol. I'm liking that red cluster you should def snag it if yours is starting to go out

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
It's the best I could do with the video that was taken and it's super shaky and potato quality after some stabilization was attempted. I removed the sound as most of what you could hear was two kids babbling and a lot of wind noise.

I was just messing around on this little hill to try out different gear combos to see what would take me up the hill with minimal throttle and what couldn't.. My first little run up the hill was second gear in 4-hi and I could tell as soon as I hit the hill that it wasn't going to crawl up it with only 1100 rpm or so. The second giddy-up was first gear in 4-hi with about the same rpm and I stalled it right before the rear wheels crested. Third attempt was first gear in 4-lo and of course it just went up and over with minimal effort. I wanted to find more aggressive stuff as you kind of have to go looking for it out here, but my girls were being pretty whiny about it. lol. And yes, I could have hit this with speed and gone right up, but I'm not really going to learn much about what my Bronco will or won't do by doing that.

And another boring video of similar poking around. First gear 4-lo stuff. Ground was pretty soft and the rocks were wet, but other than that pretty vanilla stuff.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
I know I should focus on other things, but my goal for tomorrow is to find an NP203 in the JY. I have a goal with no certain time frame of creating an NP205/203 doubler. I originally just wanted to twin stick the 205, but why not just go all the way and create a 4:1 box.

The reason I'm choosing tomorrow is due to the weather. It's actually going to be coldest tomorrow as far as my days off go, but with a high of 36 that'll mean I won't be rolling around in mud if I get there early. I'd rather have a freezing day and frozen ground than a slightly less freezing day with 6 inches of mud. Anyway... I've been in the mood recently for some JY action, so I figure I'll keep at it before I become less motivated to dumpster dive in all of this Ford goodness in the JYs.

Hopefully I can find a 203 in the yard I went to the other day, because t-cases there are the cheapest at $85. From there they go all the way up to $500 depending on where you go and how hard they give it to you. Since I have no set time frame I'm gonna try for an $85 t-case and if I come up empty, so be it. I'll try again later!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
trying to win the slow drags! are you gonna put the 203 behind the 205. sounds fun.
I want to use the gear reduction part of the 203 and attach it to the front of the 205 with an adapter/shaft. This creates a doubler, which will allow for a 1:1 ratio, a 2:1 ratio, and a 4:1 ratio if you put both units into low range. I'm about to head out to the JY and I'm sort of not looking forward to it now. lol It started snowing early this morning.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Didn't find any 203's in the JY.

I did start to take out an NP435 and 205. I went with the smoothest shifting one I could find which was actually in that truck with the tiny steering wheel that I took a picture of. With the way it shifts I actually wonder if it had recently been rebuilt, it's super smooth. Either way, I also intend on getting and rebuilding a 435 and 205, so that I can swap everything in with minimal downtime instead of rebuilding the ones that are currently in the Bronco.

I had to leave the JY without the 435 and 205 though as I apparently picked the hardest one to pull. Everything was covered in about 1/2" of grease and mud, so I had to dig free every nut and bolt before I could even get a wrench on them. That and I've never removed a t-case or a manual trans before, so I ran out of time and had to go empty handed.

I think I should be able to remove a couple more bolts and at least get the t-case. Drive shafts are unbolted and removed. T-case mount is unbolted from the frame. T-case/trans mount is unbolted. Trans is unbolted from the bellhousing. I just hate the fact this stuff is so heavy and they won't allow jacks in the JY. I'm thinking I'll go with more tools this time and bring a couple of ratchet straps to hold stuff up before it falls on me when I remove the last bolt. I was going to unbolt the crossmember, but with the way the truck is sitting with the RA's on rims I think it might drop on me if I do that and I'm not interested in ending my life so soon.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Got the NP435 and the NP205 in the bed of my truck. Also got a lot more on top of that than I thought I would today. Might be an understatement.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
I got everything loose then texted my brother to come help me lift everything out of the donor truck. He only lives a couple miles from the JY like I do, so it wasn't a big deal. The magic tool ended up being a come-along which I used to yank the t-case and adapter off the transmission.

My brother has been wanting to start his own business hauling stuff with a 5-ton dump trailer he has and we were talking about trucks as he'd like to get a diesel to tow everything and I know squat about diesels. So after we left the JY and went our separate ways I stopped by the mechanic I go to to get his opinion on diesels as he'd know what comes in more often into his own shop.

I spoke with him for a few minutes and then mentioned that I had just gotten out of the JY and what I was up to stating I was looking for a 203 and there weren't any in the JY. He asked if those were the chain driven ones vs the gear driven 205's to which I said yes. Then he says he has two of them in the back of his shop and I can just have them. lol They are GM 203's, but I think I can still use the gear reduction portion for my doubler. He also gave me another 205. I have two Ford 205's and two GM 203's now, along with the NP435 I pulled.

Here's my haul. The NP435 is closest to the camera in the pic. The NP205 I pulled has the adapter on it still and is on the left. The 205 he gave me is in the middle and the two 203's are on either end on the right side of the pic. Those 203's are nut buster to say the least, very very heavy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got everything loose then texted my brother to come help me lift everything out of the donor truck. He only lives a couple miles from the JY like I do, so it wasn't a big deal. The magic tool ended up being a come-along which I used to yank the t-case and adapter off the transmission.

My brother has been wanting to start his own business hauling stuff with a 5-ton dump trailer he has and we were talking about trucks as he'd like to get a diesel to tow everything and I know squat about diesels. So after we left the JY and went our separate ways I stopped by the mechanic I go to to get his opinion on diesels as he'd know what comes in more often into his own shop.

I spoke with him for a few minutes and then mentioned that I had just gotten out of the JY and what I was up to stating I was looking for a 203 and there weren't any in the JY. He asked if those were the chain driven ones vs the gear driven 205's to which I said yes. Then he says he has two of them in the back of his shop and I can just have them. lol They are GM 203's, but I think I can still use the gear reduction portion for my doubler. He also gave me another 205. I have two Ford 205's and two GM 203's now, along with the NP435 I pulled.

Here's my haul. The NP435 is closest to the camera in the pic. The NP205 I pulled has the adapter on it still and is on the left. The 205 he gave me is in the middle and the two 203's are on either end on the right side of the pic. Those 203's are nut buster to say the least, very very heavy.

Man what a haul! I’d love to follow along on building the doubler. Wanted to do one myself but was worried about the space limitations of the wheelbase on the Bronco.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
Man what a haul! I’d love to follow along on building the doubler. Wanted to do one myself but was worried about the space limitations of the wheelbase on the Bronco.
Well, I know you could get a 78/79 with a 203. A 205 with the gear reduction portion of the 203 should basically be the same length as a stock 203. The added length will come from the adapter inbetween them. I'll have to look up how long it is, but I think it's only a few inches at most. Not sure how much of an issue that will be for me as my Bronco is currently not lifted and the added driveshaft angle wouldn't be as bad.

I also need to open up the 203's and see if they are even usable. I have to have one that matches the spline count of my 205. I've watched a few videos on 205 rebuilds, but not too much on the doubler. I've got some research to do. I just know the most expensive portion of the doubler is the adapter kit, they are not cheap at all (around $800), but this would be a lot cheaper than say something like an Atlas t-case. Worst case scenario is I take the 203's to the recycler and get $4 for them and then start my search for a Ford 203 over.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I know you could get a 78/79 with a 203. A 205 with the gear reduction portion of the 203 should basically be the same length as a stock 203. The added length will come from the adapter inbetween them. I'll have to look up how long it is, but I think it's only a few inches at most. Not sure how much of an issue that will be for me as my Bronco is currently not lifted and the added driveshaft angle wouldn't be as bad.

I also need to open up the 203's and see if they are even usable. I have to have one that matches the spline count of my 205. I've watched a few videos on 205 rebuilds, but not too much on the doubler. I've got some research to do. I just know the most expensive portion of the doubler is the adapter kit, they are not cheap at all (around $800), but this would be a lot cheaper than say something like an Atlas t-case. Worst case scenario is I take the 203's to the recycler and get $4 for them and then start my search for a Ford 203 over.
Yeah after my comment I looked into it a bit more. It’s definitely been done before. There’s a few topics on this forum with a couple even mentioning doing it on a 78 so it’s definitely doable.

Yeah those kits are definitely pricey, but like you mentioned way more realistic than an Atlas.

Well the last thing I need is another thing added to my to do list on mine but I’ll be eagerly watching how yours goes. I’d love to have that gearing, that’s for sure.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Yeah after my comment I looked into it a bit more. It’s definitely been done before. There’s a few topics on this forum with a couple even mentioning doing it on a 78 so it’s definitely doable.

Yeah those kits are definitely pricey, but like you mentioned way more realistic than an Atlas.

Well the last thing I need is another thing added to my to do list on mine but I’ll be eagerly watching how yours goes. I’d love to have that gearing, that’s for sure.
First order of business will be taking them all to get pressure washed! Some of that stuff is on there thick. After that they're gonna be sitting for a bit. I'm gonna see if my brother will let me use part of his garage so I can do this project indoors. I don't think he'll mind if I bring in some clean t-cases. He doesn't have a lot of room, but it's definitely more than I do as he has a driveway and a garage where I have neither of those.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
There's a lot of info to take in online. After doing a smidge of research on the doubler idea it really looks like I'd be better off with a Ford 203. Here's a quote from Offroaddesign.com on their doubler kit regarding Ford tranmissions.

Adapting most Ford transmissions to the NP203 range box
Conveniently for us, Ford used an identical round bolt pattern and 31 spline output shaft for all of the truck type transmission and transfer case combos. This means you can take your Ford NP203 and bolt it directly in place of most Ford transfer case without adapter and shaft changes. This also seems to carry into late model trannies also. If only GM used this system!
There are a couple of different output housings available for the back of the C6 that you should be aware of, info is a little sketchy but we know of at least 2 lengths, one is about 7" long and the other is about 5" long. The output shaft length must match the output housing length. Otherwise you can bolt a Ford NP203 gearbox directly in place of the Ford NP205, NP208, or even the newer aluminum cases.

Otherwise, I think in order to use one of these GM 203 range boxes I'd have to either get a custom splined output shaft for my NP435 or a different input gear for the GM 203 to match the 435 in order for it to work.

Everything else is the same however. If I had a Chevy transmission then it'd be a non-issue, I could use the GM box and a Ford 205. A slight setback for me, however, all the various combos you can use are nice if you're making a completely custom rig with stuff from all makes.

The search will continue and in the meantime I'll clean up these GM transfer cases and see if I can get anything for them. Might be enough to buy a Ford 203 if one pops up. Other than that, I'm gonna focus more on the transmission I pulled than actually putting together the doubler.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
There's a 203 in one of the other yards. It's in a 75 F100. I asked if I could just get the piece I need off it (range box), but they only sell complete t-cases and that'd mean I'd have to spend more for that one t-case than I did for the 205 and 435 combined that I bought the other day, because this yard is super expensive on most big items like that. I'm not doing that, so the search continues yet again.

I haven't gotten around to opening anything up yet, but I really think that 435 and 205 I pulled have been gone through before. The 435 shifted tight and smooth and the bolts I removed out of the t-case and adapter had a lot of orange rtv on them like either they sucked up a bunch used as a seal or someone used it like thread locker.

I'm gonna list those GM t-cases today and also hit up a guy on FB that's always selling Ford stuff to see if he has a 203. I know he's going to ask for more than I'd like though if he ends up having one. He's literally one of those "don't lowball me I know what I got" guys.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Well, as this is my first vehicle with a locker in it, I experienced my first run-in with the law this evening on my way to work regarding my chirping tires.

He used the fact that I came off a left turn at a light onto a one-way and went into the center lane instead of the left lane to pull me over, but he mentioned my chirping tires and asked what that was all about and basically wanting to know if I had done that on purpose... right in front of him at a light. lmao

So there I am explaining to what appeared to be a young rookie cop how a differential worked and why making a short-radius turn like I did with a locker made several short tire chirps before I started going straight again. In the end I don't think he really understood as much as his head nodding was suggesting he did, but it wasn't a big deal and was like a 5 minute stop.

321 - 340 of 348 Posts