Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

361 - 380 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Maybe you older folks need to jump on tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use a PC at home and at work and I get notifications. After the new site layout I had to go back and resub to some threads I was following, but anytime someone quotes or tags me it sends notifications. I just think Joe misses the notifications, because he's tired from walking to and and from work uphill both ways in the snow.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,394 Posts
Look here @Doosenberry , when i was your age I.........

Quite the contrary on the notifications; when I come to this board, I look for the little "red" circle on my avatar and then click on it, then click "alerts". That is how I saw that you guys had posted on it today. Yesterday, however, I only found your posts when I clicked on the "NEW" button.
I guess what I am trying to say, is that the notifications aren't consistent. I'm sure I can't be the only one this is happening to and I would have to think it affects the amount of traffic we get.
As far as Tapatalk, I hate viewing things on my phone unless I absolutely have too.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Maybe you older folks need to jump on tapatalk

Hey, wait a second... I am older folk and use Tapatalk.

Seriously though, Tapatalk on a mobile/iPad is sooooo much easier. No ads, headers or superfluous formatting. You get way more real estate for reading and responding.

Click forum, lower middle button for discussions and there are tabs for subscribed threads and participated threads. And you can choose to get notices if you wish.

Downside is you don't get signature blocks. Before VS you could click on someone's name and get all of their Bronco info - no longer, even after VS supposedly added that info back.

Work around? Tap "..." and select web view and Tapatalk takes you to the thread and that post with all of VS's BS's. Click done to return. Easy-peasy.

Sorry for the public service announcement in the middle of your thread Doosenberry...

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Some more of me trying to get acquainted with my Bronco and beating on in the process. I'm still not used to crawling over rocks with a stick. My clutch is super touchy right when it first grabs. A lower low-range would give a little more control and I can see why people would want a very low-range transfer case or a doubler. It'd just allow the wheels to turn even slower at a given rpm. I'm not even after more torque with a doubler, I just want a slower speed without having to ride the clutch or something like that. Most of this stuff is around idle and definitely under 2k rpm.

This is not the first time I've treated my radius arm bracket unkindly since taking this thing off road, but this is the only "pop" I've caught on camera. Also, you can see all of the wheels in-frame spinning at the same time. Yay lockers...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Some more of me trying to get acquainted with my Bronco and beating on in the process. I'm still not used to crawling over rocks with a stick. My clutch is super touchy right when it first grabs. A lower low-range would give a little more control and I can see why people would want a very low-range transfer case or a doubler. It'd just allow the wheels to turn even slower at a given rpm. I'm not even after more torque with a doubler, I just want a slower speed without having to ride the clutch or something like that. Most of this stuff is around idle and definitely under 2k rpm.

This is not the first time I've treated my radius arm bracket unkindly since taking this thing off road, but this is the only "pop" I've caught on camera. Also, you can see all of the wheels in-frame spinning at the same time. Yay lockers...

Love the "OooOh Fuckk" lmao I winced when I heard it bang on the rocks. Good thing these trucks are tough.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Love the "OooOh Fuckk" lmao I winced when I heard it bang on the rocks. Good thing these trucks are tough.

Yeah, it sounds waaaaaay worse in the cab than outside. lol

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
I really don't want to lift my Bronco, because I like the lower center or gravity, but I think I'll have to in order to tackle the things I want to off road. It'll be down the road if I ever do it, but I'm just thinkin' ahead. I don't think I'd want to go more than 4" or so.

I pulled up to this ledge, which is a little off to the side from where I took that video, and saw that my stock front bumper (and fenders) juuuust clears it. A lot of the rocks and ledges I go near are higher than this one was.

Also, lookin at these pics, Idaho is just so blah as far as color goes. Huge ocean of brown and yellow. As someone who spent his first 10 years of life living near a literal rain forest (Hoh Rain Forest) I have never gotten used to it. Up north is a bit different (they have trees), but southern Idaho is... well.. a desert. What do ya expect.

I did spot the only cactus I've seen out there while rolling around on the rocks. I thought it was neat, I don't typically see anything other than sagebrush. I think it's a Prickly Pear.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You think body or suspension lift? I got like 5" body and 3" suspension, bout to cut down the body lift since I replaced the 35's with 33's and it just looks stupid now

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
You think body or suspension lift? I got like 5" body and 3" suspension, bout to cut down the body lift since I replaced the 35's with 33's and it just looks stupid now

Suspension, I'm not a fan of body lifts. I want something flexy like maybe some Deavers. On JBG their lift with the Deaver springs says 5" and I've read from people that have installed them that it lifts it more than 5", so... I dunno.

Wild Horses has some lift coils for the 78/79 Bronco that they have labeled as "crawler" springs saying they are softer and flexier than other lift springs. If you read the questions people have asked about them on their website they say they're also sold for the early Broncos as a 5 1/2" lift, but that on a FSB it only gives 4".

It's something I'll do a lot of reading on before I get into it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Time for some more pre-work composition, trying to get myself "hyped" to do some work. Hah. Have a read.

Gonna try to finish up my heating system today. Kinda late with winter having already passed us, but for most of my winter driving I drove something else with good heat when I really needed it.

My dash is still mostly apart. The Bronco didn't have a glove box or glove box door when I got it, but I was able to snag those items at the JY waaaay back when I first got the Bronco. I just never got around to putting them on as I didn't want to until I was done with the heater, and here we are. The glove box door has the XLT wood grain trim on it and I think says Ranger on it rather than Custom, but I'll live with it.

I had the driver side of the dash pulled apart, because I took the gauge cluster apart, repainted all the needles and trim and replaced the printed circuit board as it had shorted out in one section. I added intermittent wipers as well while I have the whole thing apart.

My center vent ducting, like most guys who have an a/c truck/Bronco, is tore up to hell. I have a nice center duct from my now deceased 75 F-150 and had originally intended on selling it and just duct taping the Bronco's center vent as I really don't care how it looks, I just want it functional, but... I think I'm just going to go ahead and use it and hope it speeds up the "going back together" phase of my heating system.

My biggest issue, and the main reason I haven't slapped it all back together, is that when I turn on the fan it vibrates the crap out of the dash and cab. Comparing it to my F100, which has the same factory a/c setup, it's night and day. My truck sounds fairly loud when you set it to high, but there's zero vibration and the volume of air it moves is proportional to the sound, so I can live with that. Either the new fan motor I put into the Bronco has a shaft that's not straight or the fan wheel is out of balance.

I saved the a/c box from my 75 F-150 before I sent it to the scrapper and yesterday I removed the fan and fan motor from it. The wheel itself has these two little weights attached to a couple of the fan blades, so I'm wondering if my Bronco's wheel is missing them. I hooked up the motor, with the fan attached, to the Bronco's battery to see if it was still good and it fired up nice and smooth. I kinda wish I hadn't done what I did to the Bronco's a/c box though. I gutted the a/c box since everything a/c wise on the engine was gone and then when I put in a new heater core and fan motor I sealed everything up with expanding foam to make it nice and tight. I'm gonna have to cut that all out. Oh well.

I'll see ya guys when I'm done!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Got it tore apart and figured out my vibration problem. Kinda bittersweet. It's a simple fix, but I'm a little annoyed I had to take it all apart for it.

Gonna fix the issue then start putting it back together. Aligning the vents behind the dash might be a bitch. I know the defrost vents unhooked from the top of the dash when I first started taking things apart. Hopefully they're not broken.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Never mind, this is going to be another multi-day fix. Gonna have to hit the JY and look for another fan wheel. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
So what was causing the vibration? I rebuilt the AC box in my '78. I think it was someone's high school project.
Combination of a couple things. I'll explain in a bit.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
So, I'll summarize what's goin' on and then, maybe, if my phone and email works properly, I'll post some pics/video of the whole ordeal.

Basically, these things are put together with this very disintegratingly wonderful foam gasket material (which is why I used expanding foam when I sealed things up). After 42 years, if you have a 78, it's pretty much toast if you take things apart. My gasket material was maybe half intact when I first replaced the blower motor, so I tried to retain that material and made do with what I had. The same stuff is used on the blend door that bolts onto the box along with the blower motor and mine is completely gone there.

I had made a "good 'nuff" rubber gasket out of the inner-tube I had left over from when I installed my gas tank, slipped it behind the blower motor, and that eliminated most of the noise created by the vibrating, but didn't get rid of enough of the physical vibration itself for my liking. So, I pulled the blow motor out and spun the wheel and it wobbles a lot.

I compared the wobble to the wheel I pulled out of my 75 and the one from my 75 is very noticeably better, BUT... and this would explain a lot about the heating in my 75 that I hated so much, the fan blades on the wheel out of my 75 are pointing in the opposite direct. Same exact size wheel, but it needs to spin in the opposite direction to push air. Dumb.

The motor that was out of my 75 is obviously a replacement as it's been spliced in and the motor says "Taiwan" on it. I had had that truck since 1997 and it had never been replaced since I had owned it (I've replaced the core a couple times myself), so perhaps whoever replaced the motor put a different wheel on it, no idea. But, the heat in that truck was garbage, just garbage, the window would fog up faster than the heater could remove it. The center ducting that I removed from that truck was partially disconnected, so I figured it was losing air flow behind the dash, but this would explain it a lot more.

The truck I pulled a 460 out of in the JY a while back (75 F-100 Supercab) has a/c and I actually tried to remove the wheel from it shortly after I pulled that 460 thinking I could either use it or sell it, but for whatever reason couldn't find the right sized allen to unscrew it from the motor, so I left it in the JY. I'm pretty sure it's still there, so I'll have to take a look at it and see if it's what I need. The a/c fan wheel is not reproduced, so you can't get one aftermarket. They only make wheels for heat only trucks, I don't know why. It's another one of those things that someone could make a killing off of if they reproduced it, like short bed bedsides for 73-79 trucks, everyone is always looking for stuff like that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So, I'll summarize what's goin' on and then, maybe, if my phone and email works properly, I'll post some pics/video of the whole ordeal.

Basically, these things are put together with this very disintegratingly wonderful foam gasket material (which is why I used expanding foam when I sealed things up). After 42 years, if you have a 78, it's pretty much toast if you take things apart. My gasket material was maybe half intact when I first replaced the blower motor, so I tried to retain that material and made do with what I had. The same stuff is used on the blend door that bolts onto the box along with the blower motor and mine is completely gone there.

I had made a "good 'nuff" rubber gasket out of the inner-tube I had left over from when I installed my gas tank, slipped it behind the blower motor, and that eliminated most of the noise created by the vibrating, but didn't get rid of enough of the physical vibration itself for my liking. So, I pulled the blow motor out and spun the wheel and it wobbles a lot.

I compared the wobble to the wheel I pulled out of my 75 and the one from my 75 is very noticeably better, BUT... and this would explain a lot about the heating in my 75 that I hated so much, the fan blades on the wheel out of my 75 are pointing in the opposite direct. Same exact size wheel, but it needs to spin in the opposite direction to push air. Dumb.

The motor that was out of my 75 is obviously a replacement as it's been spliced in and the motor says "Taiwan" on it. I had had that truck since 1997 and it had never been replaced since I had owned it (I've replaced the core a couple times myself), so perhaps whoever replaced the motor put a different wheel on it, no idea. But, the heat in that truck was garbage, just garbage, the window would fog up faster than the heater could remove it. The center ducting that I removed from that truck was partially disconnected, so I figured it was losing air flow behind the dash, but this would explain it a lot more.

The truck I pulled a 460 out of in the JY a while back (75 F-100 Supercab) has a/c and I actually tried to remove the wheel from it shortly after I pulled that 460 thinking I could either use it or sell it, but for whatever reason couldn't find the right sized allen to unscrew it from the motor, so I left it in the JY. I'm pretty sure it's still there, so I'll have to take a look at it and see if it's what I need. The a/c fan wheel is not reproduced, so you can't get one aftermarket. They only make wheels for heat only trucks, I don't know why. It's another one of those things that someone could make a killing off of if they reproduced it, like short bed bedsides for 73-79 trucks, everyone is always looking for stuff like that.
Do you have a picture of the AC stuff? trying to figure out if the PO removed the compressor and stuff cause I can't see to find it

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Do you have a picture of the AC stuff? trying to figure out if the PO removed the compressor and stuff cause I can't see to find it

I have a picture of what it looks like with all the a/c stuff removed, that's about it. You would know if there was no compressor, if you had one it'd be on the engine and belt driven with the rest of the accessories.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
If you remove the cover underneath your dash, on an a/c truck/Bronco, this is what you'll see when the evaporator is removed. Heater core on the right, blend door to the left of it, fan/motor is behind the blend door. The (giant) evaporator was the only thing left from the a/c system (along with the a/c lines attached to it) that was left on my Bronco when I got it. I just chucked it all as I don't absolutely need a/c and I didn't want to hunt down OEM stuff which would suck bad.

As you can see, even after a year or two mine has collected some leaves in it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a picture of what it looks like with all the a/c stuff removed, that's about it. You would know if there was no compressor, if you had one it'd be on the engine and belt driven with the rest of the accessories.
Well thats annoying, any idea how much $$ to get it blowing cold again?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
Heater core removed.

Core and OE gasket around it are in pretty good shape. That gasket isn't reproduced as far as I know, so if you remove it do it carefully so you can reuse it. I saved the one off my 75, so I have a backup. Btw, having the evaporator makes a heater core change like a 10 minute job on this thing.

Here's the view from my non-existent glove box. You can see where I filled in the holes for the a/c lines with some more expanding foam. Cable in the pic for the blend door.

Blend door unbolted, but still attached to the mechanism that pivots and moves it when you push the lever on the dash. You can see my lovely blower motor replacement job. I'm not even sure if I crimped that connection or soldered it. Probably solder and then some electrical tape over it to protect it. I'll most likely redo that connection and put some shrink wrap on it. I've collected a lot more tools and changed methods since doing that repair. lol

361 - 380 of 414 Posts