Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

401 - 414 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
The 180 degree thermostat I removed from the Bronco. Someone put some serious rtv on this thing. I couldn't even remove it by hand.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
The old fan clutch with a bushing for the new fan clutch. I forgot to snap a pic of the new fan clutch, but the hole for the water pump was larger on the new clutch and they give you a couple of bushings to take up the slack. They're pretty close to the same size, but this one was slightly smaller than the one I used.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
Comparison of old and new clutches. In case you're wondering, your fan clutch is supposed to spin pretty freely until the under hood temps rise. Once things get warm it'll stiffen up, more like my old clutch's current state. So basically with the old clutch my fan was just constantly spinning regardless of my engine's temp.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
I filled the radiator partially, enough to get coolant to the water neck, and apparently my seal isn't holding. I had coolant coming up the threads of the bolts holding the neck to the block. In frustration I slathered the bolts with rtv and stuck them back in. I waited a few hours, torqued them, and again put some water in the radiator. The leak was gone.

I fired up the engine and let it warm up. Once the system got some heat and some pressure the gasket on the neck itself started to seep some coolant, so once I'm off work I'm going to grab another gasket from the store and try again. The PO of this Bronco has done some interesting seal work on everything I've cracked open and I can now understand why they did what they did.

Anyway, I warmed up the engine by letting it idle and it went up to 180 with a 192 thermostat and new fan clutch. I drove it a short distance after that and got it up to about 187 or so, I figure that's good enough. I just need to get the seal sorted out and that should be good to go. I'm just glad I can walk away from this thing when it starts being a turd as it's not my DD.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Well, change of plans.

Since the ol' Coronavirus is causing a stir in Moab and the Bronco Safari is being postponed, I've decided to stop messing with this 351M. I was originally going to attempt to make it down there with the 351M and then later this year swap in the 460 I'm having built. Instead now, I'm going to swap the 460 into the Bronco and attend the Safari in the fall if they decide to hold it then. Either way I'll keep buttoning up the rest of the Bronco, but for now I'm done tinkering with the 351M.

Today I spoke with the owner of the machine shop I'm going to and told him I'm ready for them to finish putting the 460 together. They've basically had all the parts in house and have been working on other business until I'm ready... and I'm ready. He said to check in on him this time next week just to make sure the pile of parts that is my 460 has moved from one spot to another.

I'm going to order up some 460 swap motor mounts and I'm probably going to go with the L&L flywheel and clutch kit via broncograveyard.

It may not happen, but I'll see if I can get anyone interested in buying my 351M while I still have it in my Bronco. It runs strong, but it's still a 351M.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Forgot to post a couple pics of the seat belts I pulled. These were out of a 77 F-150. I originally thought it was an F-100, but it was a 4x4 F-150.

Anyway, these are the belts and I like them. I may have to trim the plastic cover on the floor reel, because it has a nice slope to it that doesn't match the Bronco floor where the seat belt in the Bronco mounts. I probably will use the Bronco's female end of the seat belt rather than the truck's, but since the JY charges me the same price I figured I'd get the complete belt rather than paying for half of it. Something like that.

They definitely need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
I ordered the flywheel/clutch kit from Bronco Graveyard last Thursday. They didn't give a tracking number, but their website says it has shipped, so I'm assuming it's being drop shipped via L&L. I'm guessing it'll show up sometime this week.

I ordered a set of bullet-proof motor mounts from 460efiguys.com. Again, no tracking number, so no idea on when those will show up. I figure if nothing shows this week I'll make some calls and see what's up.

I've got a v-belt saginaw pump and bracket coming via @BigBlue 94 , so I'll be doing a saginaw swap with the 460 install. I'm going to ditch the OE cooler line my Bronco has, the metal line that loops along the front cross member, and I'm going to mount a separate cooler to the front of the radiator.

Tomorrow I'll stop in and see what progress has been made on my engine. At least that's what the owner suggested, so that's what I'll do before I go into work that evening. I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll have it dyno'd on his dyno. Of course he'd like to as it insures proper engine break-in, he can check it for leaks, and of course we can find out what kind of timing the engine likes best and what power it makes, but it sure isn't cheap.

I need to check-in with a co-worker, but last time we were at work he mentioned he might know someone who wants my 351M. That would work out nicely. I need to go snap a couple of pics and make a for-sale post on FB as well.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,469 Posts
Just shipped out the saginaw!

I wish my engine guy had a dyno for my 300 build. Personally, I'd have them do the break in and initial tuning. That way it's their breakin procedure if the engine takes a dump in 1000 miles or something. Warranty stuff, ya know. Plus its always cool to know how much power you're making. I have absolutely no clue in my 300. Could be 250 hp and 350 tq or 300 and 400.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Well, they want $650 for the labor of setting up the engine on the dyno and the dyno time, which is basically the whole day they are open. I guess that includes the spark plugs, oil, etc, so that helps. I'm more interested in it for break-in than anything else, honestly.

The last 460 they made for me, which they put on the dyno, made 427 hp @ 4700 and 510 lb.ft. @ I don't remember. lol

The only noticeable difference between this 460 and the last is this one has a slightly larger cam and is using stock manifolds instead of mid-length headers, so, despite the step back that the manifolds are, I have a decent guess on the power it'll make. It's going to feel like stupid power when it's in granny gear though.

I just know that having a fresh engine is going to make me feels worlds more confident on the freeway and driving down to Moab.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,469 Posts
My 300 was uber fresh for my trip out last time... 250 miles. I did the "500 mile" oil change at about 800 miles in an autozone parking lot in Denver lol.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Stopped by the machine shop before coming into work. My pile of parts is still a pile of parts. Oh boy! Nor have they moved. I guess he did order a couple replacement valves for the bent ones that are on one of my heads, but that's about it. He said that this last week he's seen a huge uptick in the amount of work coming into the shop. I imagine that's from people having to stay home or preparing to stay home and they're wanting something to do. Anyway, I'll check in again next week and see if my pile has begun to assemble itself.

I spoke with my co-worker once I got into work and he said the guy he knows (I think it was a relative) wants to buy my 351M, but that he's not going to, because our governor here in Idaho issued a stay at home order and a closure for all non-essential businesses today, so this guy is concerned that he may need that extra cash. Oh well. I told my co-worker to tell him that I need that extra cash as well, just in case, so he should buy it. lol

And being that I work in an essential industry (food production), nothing changes for me. I still go to work for 12 hours in the middle of the night, then come home and sleep in my bed with my toilet paper tucked under my arm.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Stopped by the machine shop before coming into work. My pile of parts is still a pile of parts. Oh boy! Nor have they moved. I guess he did order a couple replacement valves for the bent ones that are on one of my heads, but that's about it. He said that this last week he's seen a huge uptick in the amount of work coming into the shop. I imagine that's from people having to stay home or preparing to stay home and they're wanting something to do. Anyway, I'll check in again next week and see if my pile has begun to assemble itself.

I spoke with my co-worker once I got into work and he said the guy he knows (I think it was a relative) wants to buy my 351M, but that he's not going to, because our governor here in Idaho issued a stay at home order and a closure for all non-essential businesses today, so this guy is concerned that he may need that extra cash. Oh well. I told my co-worker to tell him that I need that extra cash as well, just in case, so he should buy it. lol

And being that I work in an essential industry (food production), nothing changes for me. I still go to work for 12 hours in the middle of the night, then come home and sleep in my bed with my toilet paper tucked under my arm.
Toilet paper under one arm and rifle in the other lolol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Toilet paper under one arm and rifle in the other lolol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't own any guns. I'd tuck my German Shepherd under my other arm, but my wife doesn't like him in our room.

401 - 414 of 414 Posts