Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

761 - 769 of 769 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
551 Posts
Random video of me flexing on Bronco owners with no back seat torsion bar.

uhm... the bar is missing? My guessing says I got one as a spare....
I will take a photo later

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #762
uhm... the bar is missing? My guessing says I got one as a spare....
I will take a photo later
No, the bar is there. The bar is what makes it bounce like that. When you move the lever on the rear seat and release the seat from the floor the seat pops up from the tension on the bar and the bar helps you tilt it forward. I was just being silly and pressing it down with my foot to make it bounce.

@canuckistan97 doesn't have one on his rear seat.

·
Registered
713 Posts
No, the bar is there. The bar is what makes it bounce like that. When you move the lever on the rear seat and release the seat from the floor the seat pops up from the tension on the bar and the bar helps you tilt it forward. I was just being silly and pressing it down with my foot to make it bounce.

@canuckistan97 doesn't have one on his rear seat.
Do you know if those torsion bars are all inter changeable for the different bronco gens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,031 Posts
And public switch is where the permissions comes from. Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
Do you know if those torsion bars are all inter changeable for the different bronco gens?

I don't know, but there was one on an early 80's Bronco I took off today. I forgot to leave with it though. lol. I left it under the hood of another one while I was inside it. I'll go back again with my Bronco and match it up to mine to see if they are the same.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #766
I have to say, cutting into this section (bed rail right by the cab) of a Bronco was a lot harder than I had imagined. There is a lot going on right there and a lot of sheet metal meeting in one spot. I'll have to go back to cut some more chunks I need as the sun made me tap out early.

If you're curious as to what your topper bolt holes in the bed rails look like from underneath, your curiosity will be quenched. I'm fairly certain that if that threaded piece of metal breaks somehow, there is no way to replace it without some sort of surgery.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have to say, cutting into this section (bed rail right by the cab) of a Bronco was a lot harder than I had imagined. There is a lot going on right there and a lot of sheet metal meeting in one spot. I'll have to go back to cut some more chunks I need as the sun made me tap out early.

If you're curious as to what your topper bolt holes in the bed rails look like from underneath, your curiosity will be quenched. I'm fairly certain that if that threaded piece of metal breaks somehow, there is no way to replace it without some sort of surgery.

What an odd contraption of sheet metal, forming that from a straight piece of 10g steel wouldve been hell

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
What an odd contraption of sheet metal, forming that from a straight piece of 10g steel wouldve been hell

Yeah, there are several sheets of metal meeting right there as you can see, which I guess is good as it's very strong. I figured I'd cut a larger piece than you probably need and you can trim it down. I'd imagine keeping as many body lines as possible on the donor piece would give you a lot of reference points and make it easier lining it up to weld in. I actually had it a bit larger than that on the outside sheet of metal, but had to trim it down as I ended up prying the lip of it up in several spots in order to make my last cut through that bottom portion. That's why the inside is of that chunk is longer than the outside.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
551 Posts
what a piece! and I always wonder how thick sheet metal they used that time. at the wondow frame it was 1,5-2 mm per sheet.... at my rust problem area we welded in 3mm replacement, which does not look like sheet, its looks more like a block.
but 2,3 ton must come from somewhere.

and the nut system, you are fully right, I am wondering what to do, if one fails or if the screw is put in inclinded and destroying the nutplate.

so you could make good use of the new saw!

761 - 769 of 769 Posts