Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

801 - 820 of 849 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #801
I'm excited for it, but I'm expecting install to not go smoothly. I'm trying to keep my expectations low, so I can hopefully be blown away. lol.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You mean for hydraulic ram assisted steering? No. I didn't think I'd ever put on tires big enough to need that. I mean, it can be done after the fact I suppose, but it was an extra $110 for something I didn't/don't think I'll use.

Otherwise, I don't need to change anything else. I have a Saginaw pump with dual returns on it, so two lines will return to the pump, one from the hydroboost and another from the steering gear. Something like this.

Yeah idk thought it just tied into the saginaw pump/hydroboost lines somehow. Saw the option when I was looking/pricing out a blutop box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #803
Yeah idk thought it just tied into the saginaw pump/hydroboost lines somehow. Saw the option when I was looking/pricing out a blutop box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know how the whole system would be plumbed, I just know that those ports on the steering gear would be used for a hydraulic cylinder mounted to the front axle and to the drag link to help push your tires back and forth.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #804
Another package came today.

I had originally ordered a new, lower steering column bearing from Wildhorses, but guess what... it was back ordered until mid October, so I scratched that order. It would behoove them to list their OOS items on their website. Every other vendor I've ordered from does that. I find it very annoying to order something online when their physical store is closed (I'm up at night and early morning most days) and then three days later they call me and tell me it's out of stock, because "Your call is answered in the order in which it was received" or something like that. Bleh... Anyway!

This bearing comes via Bluetop Steering (73-79 Steering column lower bearing). They sell these bearings made by DRB Machine and Fab (DRB Machine and Fab). It is more expensive than the Wildhorses bearing (by about 60%), but this one looks top notch, so I don't think I'll complain! On their site they say "Unlike others on eBay, this is not stamped steel held in with flimsy sheet metal screws. It's machined from a block of aluminum. It will never flex as it's a VERY tight fit. IT'S MADE IN THE USA"

I know I've seen someone else on here install one of these, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was for sure. I want to say it was @d_rock .

Edit: Forgot to mention, this arrived 2 days after I ordered it (ND to ID). Very prompt!

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I know I've seen someone else on here install one of these, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was for sure. I want to say it was @d_rock .
Unfortunately I do not have one of those... I have the flimsy stamped one held in with sheet metal screws, which is better than what it replaced, but leaves a bit to be desired.

Your billet one looks like a super nice piece. Now that I've seen it I may go and try to make one...

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #806
Unfortunately I do not have one of those... I have the flimsy stamped one held in with sheet metal screws, which is better than what it replaced, but leaves a bit to be desired.

Your billet one looks like a super nice piece. Now that I've seen it I may go and try to make one...
Well I guess I just remembered you replacing the old one with a new, metal one.

You certainly have access to the kind of tools to make this thing. I'm sure it'd be cheaper for you, especially if it was made from scrap.

I have some other stuff on the way (hopefully, hah) to go with this piece. I'm hoping once I get the Saginaw pump installed along with the hydroboost that I won't have to mess with the steering system for a long long time.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
672 Posts
wow
tons of news!!

As I ordered a 460 from LEB I went ahead talking to Jacob from battleborn brakes. He does the kits from Motorcraft super Duty parts instead of GM stuff.
will be a nice comparisson, however I will not have anything home before somewhere in November, due to shippig it with the engine in a crate box.

you got the DRB fab lower steering bushing, really nice piece of craftmanship, I guess its install once and forget about it.
just need to replace the upper bushing in the column, as mine is making noise as if its missing balls.

you go for a crazy 5 inch lift or even more?
So 35's and high lift, MAN !!! I did not know you build kind of a monster :)

looking forward to it.

How about local heat? accetable now? or still killing temps?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #809
wow
tons of news!!

As I ordered a 460 from LEB I went ahead talking to Jacob from battleborn brakes. He does the kits from Motorcraft super Duty parts instead of GM stuff.
will be a nice comparisson, however I will not have anything home before somewhere in November, due to shippig it with the engine in a crate box.

you got the DRB fab lower steering bushing, really nice piece of craftmanship, I guess its install once and forget about it.
just need to replace the upper bushing in the column, as mine is making noise as if its missing balls.

you go for a crazy 5 inch lift or even more?
So 35's and high lift, MAN !!! I did not know you build kind of a monster :)

looking forward to it.

I know some people don't like the thought of using GM parts, but I already have some in my Bronco and it doesn't bother me. I'm pretty sure the entire valve train in my 460 (valves, springs, rockers) is all big block Chevy stuff. As long as the hydroboost works well, that's all that matters to me.

I'll probably take my whole column out and check on a few things when I put that bearing in. I noticed the horn pad on my steering wheel is broken, so I'll probably see if I can find a replacement in the junkyard some time.

I'm honestly hoping my 460 weighs the front end down a little. I want something closer to a 4" lift, but I like the idea of having some flexy springs like the Deavers. If I ever get around to putting a different front bumper with a winch on it, I'm sure that will help too. I don't want a monster truck. I'm not into big trucks like that.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #810

I forgot, the heat isn't too bad right now. We got a little rain this weekend, but it's supposed to be back into the mid-90's by the middle of the week.

I received another package today, but forgot to load my pics. I'll have to do that after work. You can stay in suspense until then. lol.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
672 Posts
it was nothing like an offense for the GM parts! in the first step I personally chase for function or improving something. if that can be done with parts from GM or something, well, maybe not totally preferred but no problem at all.
As you say for the engine, its absolutly true, you may need to mix things, but in the end the result counts.

the springs make totally sense then. I may need to wait until the 460 is in and I see if I need a 2 inch lift in the front or something to have it nicely leveled. in the end I want 35's with no lift at all, even thats not flexing that much, but there is nothing in Germany where I can use a lot of flex - from my knowledge at least.

Bummer you did not do a sneak preview of the new package content. Have to wait again :)

Man you do quite some big updates now, using the flow!!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #813
Figures. I buy a bunch of stuff and then my wife's car effin' breaks. lol. The water pump went out. There goes another chunk of money to get that going again. I'm absolutely not working on that thing myself, I'm not going to be able to give the kind of turnaround that woman expects. lol. After tonight's shift I'll have put in about 85-90 hours in the last 7 days, so I'm kinda beat.

I've been slowly selling a few things here and there to help pay for my Bronco parts and I have a guy lined up to buy the GT40 heads I have tomorrow afternoon. Looks like that moolah is going elsewhere!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
bad news with the wife's car.
and crazy guy, you work 100% more than most of us. really tough!!!

but nice steering shaft there. I would expect you will never have to tackle steering stuff once all stuff is installed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What do you do that you have to work over 12 hours a day 7 days a week?

I've put in a few 70 plus weeks but normally 50-55

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #816
What do you do that you have to work over 12 hours a day 7 days a week?

I've put in a few 70 plus weeks but normally 50-55
I work in the processing area of the world's largest yogurt factory. That's my way of telling you where without telling you where. lol.

I don't have to work that many hours, but if I want Bronco parts I need to put in some extra overtime. I normally only average maybe 42-46, but I've learned that graveyards kind of compound things. 12+ hours during the day is a lot easier than 12+ at night according to my body. I was covering for another guy. He's taking tonight and tomorrow night off as well, but HR won't let me work 12 days straight (his shift and mine). I'm not sure I wanna work 12 straight either. lol. I wouldn't mind the money though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I worked 27 out of 28 days once. Not interested in doing that anymore.

I'm Mr potato head after working too much.

Don't burn yourself out. Money is nice but if you're too burnt to do anything it causes problems.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Back in '93 worked 37 straight days of 12-hour shifts...

Time-and-half for anything over 8-hours and double-time on Sunday's. Not an experience I'd like to relive, but hell I was still in school, just married and the money was nice - put the deposit down on my first house!

Today? I get grouchy if I don't get my afternoon nap...

Oh, dropped the Bronco off to get it inspected.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I work in the processing area of the world's largest yogurt factory. That's my way of telling you where without telling you where. lol.

I don't have to work that many hours, but if I want Bronco parts I need to put in some extra overtime. I normally only average maybe 42-46, but I've learned that graveyards kind of compound things. 12+ hours during the day is a lot easier than 12+ at night according to my body. I was covering for another guy. He's taking tonight and tomorrow night off as well, but HR won't let me work 12 days straight (his shift and mine). I'm not sure I wanna work 12 straight either. lol. I wouldn't mind the money though.
That's just crazy. I understand why you do it, and you know your limits probably, but still its hell of time....

In the company I work for, we are still 20% short, meaning 20% less salary and officially 20% less working time, meaning 32. however last week I did 64 hours, and this week will not be any better, yet.
On the other side I am called manager and too bad I am not paid by hours, flat salary all time.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
I guess as a company, where I work has been fortunate that our product is food. If we were making something else they probably would have cut back on things a lot more than they did. My work life has been largely unchanged. My brother's girlfriend works at a company that makes trailers, like for camping. They cut back production by a ton and weren't working for a long time.

I know the dairy farmers were having to dump milk for a while at one point. Not sure if they are still doing that. Cows still make milk regardless if anyone is buying it.

801 - 820 of 849 Posts