Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

861 - 880 of 903 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
This ^ pic showed up with an "over 18" content warning. Ya gotta be more careful. This is a family website. 😁

I'd be frustrated too with the powder coat damage, especially if I'd paid extra for it. We built some black baseball backstops awhile back. Some of the powder coated poles for the dugouts showed up damaged. The supplier offered to replace them , but we didn't have time to wait. They ended up supplying the touch up paint & discounting the price.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Imgur seems to censor things on it's own. I'm assuming they have some sort of algorithm that detects "naughty" things and it thinks the long black phallic lookin' thing in my hand is.. well.. yeah.. phallic in nature. lol. I dunno.

Yeah, the powder coat issue is just annoying. I won't say any more on it as it bothers me enough to keep me from focusing on other things, which apparently doesn't take much.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #862
And here's a shot of my ugly GPS speedo setup. I slapped the third neodymium magnet I had left over from when I put a couple on the cellphone mount for my Sniper LCD. I may get a thinner one to replace it, but these magnets are brittle, so having a thicker one may be better in this case. Ugly seems to be my theme.

I was parked, so... it's accurate at zero mph.

You can change the different little read outs. The compass seems to read out depending on which way you're traveling versus which way you're pointing meaning that if you're not moving, it may spazz out and start shuffling through various directions. I haven't checked it while going in reverse, but I'd imagine it'd read out in that direction when moving.

Another option is voltage. There's a handful of things you can make it display.

And one other one, which I find interesting, is altitude, which seems to be fairly accurate. I was parked between two towns (at work) with one town being at 3743' (according to wikipedia) and the other at 3924'.

You can change the colors and the layout. I prefer all white as the default has the bottom two with one being red and one being blue and they are very hard for me to see for some reason. White seems to display crisp enough for me to read them.

The only bad thing I have going for me right now is that it will stay on at all times if it's plugged into my cigarette lighter, so I have to unplug it if I use it as is. My cigarette lighter was non-functional when I got the Bronco, but I had a recently pulled setup from the JY out of a 78 Supercab truck, so I swapped that in and temporarily plugged it in outside of the dash and through my non-existent glovebox.

If I plan on using this thing for the long haul, I'm gonna have to alter the power to a switched source rather than powered all the time as the factory lighter seems to be. Maybe I can get an adapter for the cigarette lighter that has a manual switch on it, so I can turn it on and off rather than unplugging it.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
755 Posts
Big things are in!!
Really huge heim parts, did not expect them to be that hefty!
feeling with you on the coated parts, maybe you should give that big word guy some update pics...

All in all great parts.
I was looking for their orange heavy duty front wheel hub carriers but can’t find them any more...
And their heim steering upgrade looks solid to me as well!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #864
Big things are in!!
Really huge heim parts, did not expect them to be that hefty!
feeling with you on the coated parts, maybe you should give that big word guy some update pics...

All in all great parts.
I was looking for their orange heavy duty front wheel hub carriers but can’t find them any more...
And their heim steering upgrade looks solid to me as well!!
I'm not going to worry about the powder coat anymore. I'll just touch up the spots with some black paint and call it good. If I use this Bronco the way I plan to then they'll probably get hit on rocks anyway. I did that to the headers that were on my 351M. I scraped the bottom of them in several spots, though the powder coat did hold up pretty well.

When you say front wheel hub carrier are you referring to the knuckle? Wildhorses, and some other places, sell Reid Racing knuckles that come painted orange.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #865
I woke up this afternoon and got ready for work, ya know, my routine. I say goodbye to everyone, walk across the street out to my truck and get in and see a note stuck under my driver side windshield wiper. I'm thinking out loud "I swear to God, if this is from someone complaining about me parkin' this thing here I'mma lose my shit tonight" lol.

Without goin' on a rant over my parking situation (lol), here's the note I found and I made an edit to it as you'll notice.

Not sure I'll be giving Fred a call, but I thought it was interesting once I unfolded it. I've honestly considered selling it, especially within the last year or two, but I always decide on that being a bad idea as I'm sure I won't come across another one similar to this that I could actually afford if I were to look for one a few years from now. I predict prices on these trucks to keep increasing, similar to what people in the market for a Bronco are seeing with the FSB. I'm surprised he saw it with the Bronco hard top on it and stopped to write that note. It's so ugly with it on there. lol.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
The other day I picked up a few items from the JY.

I grabbed a new horn pad for my steering wheel. The wheel it came off of wasn't any better than mine or else I would have grabbed the wheel with it. Has the nice(r) faux woodgrain trim on it along with a blue Ford oval whereas mine is all black.

The gauge cluster was busted up in that truck (78/79 F250 Lariat), but I took it anyway. I was wanting to swap the speedo that's currently in mine (non-factory 100mph) for an 85mph speedo to see if that helps with its accuracy. I pulled a cluster in good condition out of a 79 Bronco already, but if this speedo works, I can just save that entire cluster or sell it. Dude at the counter "Uh.. what are you gonna do with that? It's all busted."

Tailgate harness out of that '79 Bronco for @canuckistan97 . I still need to test it to make sure it works. Not 100% sure how to do that without just straight swapping it into mine. You'll notice my Bronco conveniently still has the tailgate access panel off, so that shouldn't be toooo difficult. Some day I'll clean up and paint the access panel I pulled from the JY a long time ago and screw it into place.

And a factory AM/FM radio out of that F250. I'm still a little torn on it. It's complete with the mounting bracket, trim, knobs, and I removed it without cutting anything, but it's not a "stereo" and I was hoping to find a factory AM/FM stereo. There's no "stereo" debossed into that silver AM/FM switch nor does it have the little stereo light that turns on when you get the tuning juuuuust right. It does have that nice faux woodgrain trim piece though. I've been looking for a factory radio to replace the pos Kraaco tape player in my F100, so that's most likely where it will go.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #867
Almost forgot, there's a "new" '74 Highboy in one the the JY's that I saw yesterday morning. I was making a quick run through the JY looking for a MAP sensor for my wife's car, so I only stayed for maybe 10 minutes, but I have to at least see if there are any new Fords.

It has a cactus smasher, which are pretty hard to find. The only bad thing with it is it's missing the tabs in the middle for the factory aux lights that would go there. The tabs are snapped off and now there are two rectangular holes. It's also made for the 67-77 bumper and not the 78/79, so I'd have to swap bumpers if I wanted to use it, without modifying it of course. There's another excuse to do a grille swap to a pre-78 grille, gotta have it all match.

Also has a decent set of West Coast Jr. mirrors. They are covered in fly crap, but I think they'd clean up and don't appear to be rusted out.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
288 Posts
Oh man the cactus smasher and mirrors are cool. I'm jelous of the horn pad all so many I find have the Ford picked out of the middle leaving ugly ragged holes like mine. Let me know if you ever come across dentside f500 doors somewhere. I'm looking to switch door handle style without driving to a midsize truck JY in indiana or somewhere.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,229 Posts
Well jeesh, whata-you-know, unsub'd again.....WTF??

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,229 Posts
... It's also made for the 67-77 bumper and not the 78/79, so I'd have to swap bumpers if I wanted to use it, without modifying it of course. There's another excuse to do a grille swap to a pre-78 grille, gotta have it all match.

I'm confused, on the whole bumper thing?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #871
I'm confused, on the whole bumper thing?
Ah. Yes. Bumpers.

So, there are two front bumper shapes on the dentside trucks. The earlier one being 73-77, but it was also used prior to that with the bumpsides. Because of the contour of the bumpers, Ford had to alter the shape of the cactus smasher where it mounts, so if you try to put one that's made for the earlier bumper, like the one on that '74 Highboy, it won't line up flush on a later bumper like the 78/79's. The issue comes up from time to time on FTE, but I can't seem to find pics of a comparison right now.

Obviously, if one wants to "make it work", you could just hack stuff off and reweld it. I wouldn't have to switch bumpers, I'm just giving myself another reason to swap my grille out for a 73-77.

I've been thinking about it since I saw it and I'll probably go snag it if it's still there on Monday. The yard was open today, but I went to bed instead of staying up "late" to go junkyard diving this morning. Not sure if I'd put it on my Bronco as is, but if I could somehow have it incorporated into a winch bumper of some sort I think it'd look good.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
755 Posts
nice find, it has a Dana 60 Frontaxle? :cool:

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Ah. Yes. Bumpers.

So, there are two front bumper shapes on the dentside trucks. The earlier one being 73-77,.....

"It's also made for the 67-77 bumper and not the 78/79, so I'd have to swap bumpers if I wanted to use it, without modifying it of course "
Okay, that makes more sense, originally you had said 66-77, that's why I was "confused"

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #874
Okay, that makes more sense, originally you had said 66-77, that's why I was "confused"
That's because Ford used that same bumper for the bumpsides. I know my thread isn't followed by a gazillion people, but I always get the feeling like some Ford nerd will pop in and push his glasses up his nose and be like "Uh, ackshully...", so I try to include as much knowledge as I know on something. Sometimes makes me look like an idiot though as I'm sure some of the stuff I "know" is wrong.

Google pics.

67 Ferd.

77 Ferd.

Edit: I blame Numberdummy on FTE as that old codger crawls through all the threads and corrects everyone's info exactly as I described. lol.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #875
nice find, it has a Dana 60 Frontaxle? :cool:

Uh, it might! I'm not very knowledgeable on the F250 and 350's, but I know the D60 was at least an option on them at some point in the 70's. If I hadn't already put lockers and gears into my half-ton axles I would consider upgrading to 1-ton axles, but at this point I'll just wait and see if/when something breaks before I decide to do that.

I've been researching a lot on steering stuff and was looking at "crossover" and "high steer" setups for a Dana 44. I was watching this video and the guy mentions a "unicorn" Ford knuckle that was only on some 78/79 F250's that would be able to be machined with a flat top for the crossover or high steer steering on a D44. I'm going to check out the 78 F250 that I pulled the horn pad and radio (and intermittent wiper switch because I'm stupid) from and see if it has the machinable knuckles. If it has them then maybe I'll go that route. We shall see.

Video.

Some pics of the very rough 78 F250 via car-part.com. It was not fun getting into this thing to pull the radio out. lol.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Uh, it might! I'm not very knowledgeable on the F250 and 350's, but I know the D60 was at least an option on them at some point in the 70's. If I hadn't already put lockers and gears into my half-ton axles I would consider upgrading to 1-ton axles, but at this point I'll just wait and see if/when something breaks before I decide to do that.

I've been researching a lot on steering stuff and was looking at "crossover" and "high steer" setups for a Dana 44. I was watching this video and the guy mentions a "unicorn" Ford knuckle that was only on some 78/79 F250's that would be able to be machined with a flat top for the crossover or high steer steering on a D44. I'm going to check out the 78 F250 that I pulled the horn pad and radio (and intermittent wiper switch because I'm stupid) from and see if it has the machinable knuckles. If it has them then maybe I'll go that route. We shall see.

Video.

Some pics of the very rough 78 F250 via car-part.com. It was not fun getting into this thing to pull the radio out. lol.

Are those a bunch of welding rods in the front seat? Kind of surprised that people leave so much stuff in them before dropping them at the junkyard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #877
Are those a bunch of welding rods in the front seat? Kind of surprised that people leave so much stuff in them before dropping them at the junkyard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that's the truck I told you about with all the live ammo in it. It's chock full of stuff. I'm not 100% sure it's from the previous owner. Maybe the stuff in the cab, but I'm not sure on the bed contents.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Yeah Bud, sorry; I am, by far, no-expert. I was Just thinking 66-77 Bronco, hey I'm old, drink way-too-much, have worked and played, way-too-hard and probably have early onset dementia...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
I am beat today. I grabbed a few items from the JY and it just drained everything I had leftover after I got off work this morning.

I don't think I'll be going after those knuckles on the 78 F250. First, they won't allow me to pick parts off the axle at that yard, so I'd have to buy the whole axle, which I don't want to do. And last, after doing a little more research, I think I'd have to use the 3/4-ton brakes with those knuckles and that would cause me issues like having the 3/4 calipers hitting my 15" rims. If I go to crossover steering or high steer, I'll be doing it a different way. And yes, I'm fairly certain that axle has the flat top knuckles that can be machined for those steering setups.

I'll post pics of my stuff tomorrow.

861 - 880 of 903 Posts