Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

881 - 900 of 903 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
755 Posts
Good work!!!

does it have the cigarette lighter in?
I still need one....

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #883
I need that axle! Nice find

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, if I was starting from scratch I'd go buy it, but it'd mean undoing (or wasting) what I've already done with my current front axle. The guy at the counter told me it'd be about $400 to buy it. That's with them pulling it. They don't allow people to pull the larger items themselves at that yard.

I'm not very familiar with axles, but from what I've read that should be a Dana 44 HD with 8 lug outers. Looks like flat top knuckles to me.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #884
Here's the rear axle. I just took pics to take pics. I don't usually have my camera on me when I'm at the yards.

And a little trick I've taught myself, lol, if you can't read an axle tag you can spit on it and the shininess from your saliva will give it enough contrast that you can read the damn thing. Obviously doesn't work if it's covered in more than just dust or light dirt.

And some more pics of that truck. It's 100% a farmers truck. lmao.

Here's the barbwire antenna.

And the booger weld holding the mirror on.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #885
Good work!!!

does it have the cigarette lighter in?
I still need one....
It might. That's honestly not something I look at when I'm in these trucks at the junk yard unless I need one. I just replaced mine, so I've stopped looking. When I go again I'll take a look at all the trucks.

What's funny about cigarette lighters is that when I was troubleshooting mine before I went looking for a replacement I was trying to see how it was supposed to be wired up. I figured I'd check out the one in my truck and compare and then I remembered my truck has the cigarette lighter delete package. lol. It has a chrome cover instead of a lighter.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #886 (Edited)
Looks like I made that last post right when site maintenance started and it double posted. Oopsie.

After checking out that axle, I went and pulled this roll bar for @canuckistan97 . It looks a little different than the GT bar in mine. The PO of this 79 Bronco sprayed everything in the inside black, so when you take this bar apart you can see the original color. I think that Bronco would look pretty good in that color. I prefer it over the flat black for sure.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #887
Prior to showing up at this yard I had pulled that cactus smasher from that '74 Highboy. Actually, my patience ran very thin and I cut it off the bumper. First I tried unbolting the bumper brackets, so I could remove the bumper and then unbolt the cactus smasher from the bumper easier. I couldn't get one of the four bolts to come undone for the life of me, so I eventually resorted to cutting the bracket off the frame.

Then when I was unbolting the bumper bolts all of the bolts would spin in place as they had rounded out the square holes. I lost my shit and just cut the bumper up and then made my way out of the yard.

I'll get around to removing the rest of the bumper sometime later. I'm not in the mood for that right now.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
755 Posts
must be lots of fun on JY.... would like to join that.

but this made my day:
cigarette ligher delete package - great option :) whatever its needed for!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #889
I think it's neat. I had never seen a delete plate for a cigarette lighter until I got this truck. In the 70's you could pretty much order your truck with whatever options you wanted. This one is a Custom, so it didn't come with a pre-set option list like an XLT or something like that. They got the base truck and then got what options they wanted. Since they didn't want a cigarette lighter I'm assuming they weren't paying for anything they didn't have to.

I'm still under the assumption that even by '77 that most people buying a truck were using it to tow and haul things other than their kids and groceries. When I got this truck it had a gun rack in the back window and the glove box was full of transfer station tickets for taking loads to the dump.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #891
I woke up this afternoon and got ready for work, ya know, my routine. I say goodbye to everyone, walk across the street out to my truck and get in and see a note stuck under my driver side windshield wiper. I'm thinking out loud "I swear to God, if this is from someone complaining about me parkin' this thing here I'mma lose my shit tonight" lol.

Without goin' on a rant over my parking situation (lol), here's the note I found and I made an edit to it as you'll notice.

Not sure I'll be giving Fred a call, but I thought it was interesting once I unfolded it. I've honestly considered selling it, especially within the last year or two, but I always decide on that being a bad idea as I'm sure I won't come across another one similar to this that I could actually afford if I were to look for one a few years from now. I predict prices on these trucks to keep increasing, similar to what people in the market for a Bronco are seeing with the FSB. I'm surprised he saw it with the Bronco hard top on it and stopped to write that note. It's so ugly with it on there. lol.

Boy, this Fred guy sure is persistent. I figured by not calling him he would get the hint. lol. I think I'll either call him and tell him no or go buy a not-for-sale sign. And that's not how you spell "again", Fred.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,130 Posts
The most effective way I've found to say no is to quote a stupid high price. Usually they get offended, but I point out that I'm not interested in selling & there's no for sale sign in my window to start this discussion.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #893
The most effective way I've found to say no is to quote a stupid high price. Usually they get offended, but I point out that I'm not interested in selling & there's no for sale sign in my window to start this discussion.
That's what I've been thinking.

I had a guy come to my door once many years ago when I lived at a different place and ask to buy one of my cars. He did get kind of upset when I gave him a reasonable price for it even when I didn't want to sell it in the first place. He wanted to buy a running, driving car to use as a roller and then got mad when I gave him a running, driving car price for it. Some people are weird.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #894
I think I'll give him the "high retail" price for my truck. lmao. They must have reeeeeally effin skyrocketed lately. If only mine was a show truck worth that much.

I guess my Bronco is worth jack squat. Hmm...

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think I'll give him the "high retail" price for my truck. lmao. They must have reeeeeally effin skyrocketed lately. If only mine was a show truck worth that much.

View attachment 168464

I guess my Bronco is worth jack squat. Hmm...

View attachment 168465
Kind of surprised tbh I see a ton of those 77 f100's down here, figured the bronco would be worth more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #896
Kind of surprised tbh I see a ton of those 77 f100's down here, figured the bronco would be worth more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like the NADA guide. It might give you an idea of what vehicles are popular, but the price ranges are all optimistic and would probably represent what someone would pay for a verrrry nice example of one.

The only thing those two pics tell me is that dentside trucks are "hot" right now compared to their Bronco counterpart, for whatever reason. Both of mine are turds, relatively speaking, so it doesn't matter.

In other news, I received my order of oil for my Bronco the other day. I got enough for at least a couple of oil changes, so the shipping was free. I think it'll last me quite a while considering how many miles I put on the Bronco.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
crazy FRED!
why not try 20-25k - I mean if it sells, you may get a newer nice car.... should not be too bad :)

but potentially its a lowballer bidding 3000 or something....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #898
I'm going to change the oil and see if I can clock the oil filter adapter, so I can have it facing straight down instead of angled forward. It will give me better clearance on the power steering pump.

I was going to eliminate the adapter altogether, but apparently you need a different fitting in order to thread the filter on straight to the block. I can get the fitting, but I'm going to try clocking the adapter first. If it doesn't work out like I want it to then I'll get the other fitting. You can get it at the Ford dealer, but it's crazy marked up. $66 for an $8 part.

The 460 uses the same fitting as the small block Fords. The engineering number for it is F1AZ-6890-B if anyone is looking for one. And here's a pic I snagged from 460Ford.com that shows the difference between the two. Mine is like the top one and has the bolt to hold the adapter to the block. The bottom one will allow the filter to thread straight to the block. Had I known about all of that when I was taking my old 460 apart, I would have saved that piece of course.

I also picked up some gear oil at Napa today. I guess today Napa was having a 25% off sale on nearly everything in the store. I was unaware of that until I got there. They didn't have the gear oil I wanted in stock in the quantity I needed, but they did have their house brand stuff, so I got a 5 gallon bucket of it for $52. lol. I only wanted like 6 quarts, but the price was pretty good, so why not. I only plan on putting it in the diffs, so it'll last a long time. I use different stuff in the t-case and tranny.

And! I also grabbed a PMGR starter since they had the sale. I'll have to grab some of my leftover wire and get it wired up properly.

The guy at the counter said they were having a filter sale starting on the 12th, so if anyone wants to stock up on filters for the future that would be a good time to go. "Up to 60% off". I'm sure the 60% won't apply to what I buy of course, that's how it usually goes.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #899
It's been too windy lately to change my oil, which sounds really stupid I will admit. I have everything ready to go, but I'm not willing to get oil blown around. Been there, done that, it wasn't fun. The challenges of doing simple crap when you have no garage. I've met guys at work with similar problems, but it's usually regarding fishing on a boat. So, I'm waiting for a not so windy day to bust that out, do my wife's car, and my blue flatbed F150 at the same time.

I was going to just paint my C-caps black and call it good, but I stopped by my local powder coater today to see what they would charge to coat them. Unfortunately, they have a $50 minimum, because they gotta prime their equipment with whatever powder they're using and that covers the bare minimum with setup time and all that, kinda like a tattoo artist. Otherwise, I think it'd only cost like $20 to do the C-caps.

I'm willing to do the $50, but I asked if I could bring a couple other small items and get those coated for the same price and the guy said definitely and to get the best bang for my buck out of that $50. So, I may either have those Duff C-wedges re-coated since they have bare spots on them or coat some other parts to match (shock towers, coil buckets, track bar, one of those) or spend a little bit more and just do them all. I kinda wish I had my coil towers off, so I could take those in and have them blasted and coated. Maybe I could snatch the ones off the F150 I got the C-caps from and get those coated and swap them in when I do the coils provided they are the same as my Bronco.

Other than that, there's been little progress. I've been going back and forth in my mind thinking about the various "projects" I have on standby and wondering if I really want to proceed with them. Most of it revolves around my F100 and whether or not I'm going to swap engines on it, but I also have a few large parts for/from my Bronco taking up space (t-cases/tranny, doors, inner fender). I've got a pile of parts outside of my house and I'm finally getting frustrated with it all laying around. I feel a lot more redneck than I am. I also need to finish up with my blue flatbed truck and see about selling it. That's been on hold for a while as well. Yikes.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Long story about the stuff some of us may face as well.
I see the oil problem, wind and “falling oil stick” does not match up - so move it to later days.

stuff being around:
I replaced lots of parts and still have most of the old stuff, except some really broken shit.
I put it all down in basement just to carry it all up when we move again next year... it’s good as long I do not go into that basement room being 40% filled up with boxes of my stuff....
but is this redneck immediately :)

what decision did you take on the projects or still being pregnant with it?

881 - 900 of 903 Posts