Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1181 - 1200 of 1250 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
490 Posts
@cwegga Here's what I was doing for the back of my Bronco. It's all been sitting in the Bronco for a very long time, so it's pretty dusty and dirty and could use a cleaning. At least the "flooring" part. Everything else has been kept indoors.

I used those puzzle piece looking foam squares that are advertised for gym floors. I think I got these at Home Depot. I did some measuring, some cuttin', some finagling and came up with this.

I really need to wrangle than passenger side panel as well. It was like that when I got the Bronco, but its gotten worse from moisture. This is before I wiped them down a little and started to puzzle piece it back together.

All the pieces put back together. I made it so that the pieces would cover the tailgate when its down. The "flooring" starts right at the backside of the coil springs that sit under the rear seat. I unfortunately have that bent linkage on the tailgate handle, so that pops it up a bit, but at least it's at the very end of the gate. One day I'll pull that apart and fix it.

This is the "max headroom" setup. The previous pic has the front seats in their down position. In this pic I have the seats folded forward so I can tilt the rear seat as far forward as I can. Less chance of cracking your head on the rear set latch, though I'll still be covering that up with something.

I cut slits in the sides of these smaller pieces so that they could go around the tailgate cables/torsion bar and help cover up the gaps that are there when you put on that tent. The tent doesn't fit tight against the sides of the tailgate since it goes up on the outside of the bed. Now that I have new cables, they don't line up as perfectly as they did before, but they are still good enough it seems.

I thought out most of these things that I did and spent time measuring with a tape and looking up widths and lengths online, but on this one I just walked past it at Walmart and thought "Hey, I bet that would fit perfectly between the wheel wells, let's try it out." Well what do you know. lol. Today was the first time I actually stuck it in there since I've had it. I guess the distance of the wheel wells is exactly one body pillow.

I spent a lot of time looking for an air mattress that would fit between the wells as that was what I was wanting for fitment, rather than finding a truck bed mattress that's made to go over the wells. Most mattresses are for indoor use only and of course need an ac outlet to power the pump they come with. I found this one that was for outdoor use and it comes with a battery powered pump rather than having to blow it up manually with your mouth. This is also the first time I've used this thing and I was pretty pleased with the way it fit in the Bronco. I guess taking the time to find what you want paid off for me this time.

I was looking for one that would fit between the wheel wells and go from the back of the flipped up rear seat all the way to the edge of the tailgate. Boom, baby!

I had a spare fitted sheet that sorta fit, so I put that on it to try and keep the mattress clean. Close enough. Yes, the body pillow is sitting on top of the bed rather than behind it on the floor, which also kind of helps cover up that damn seat latch. I think it looks pretty decent.

That looks nice and cozy. Makes me want to go camping. It is pretty similar to the setup I use, except mine is in my truck bed trailer. One question though, does your seat not double fold for lack of a better word, or can you fold it further by doing that vs. folding the back forward first and then the bottom up?

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,182 ·
That looks nice and cozy. Makes me want to go camping. It is pretty similar to the setup I use, except mine is in my truck bed trailer. One question though, does your seat not double fold for lack of a better word, or can you fold it further by doing that vs. folding the back forward first and then the bottom up?

Honestly, I'm not sure how much more room (if any) I'd get from folding the back of the seat down and then releasing the bottom from the floor and tilting it forward. Maybe I could get some. I'll try that out when I get home in the morning. I did take a pic of the seat tilted forward without folding the back down.

I know it looks like it's kinda just hanging there like you could push it more, but I don't remember if I tried pushing it any further. I just know that without the front seats folded forward, the rear seat with the back locked like that will hit the front seats before stopping on its own. I just snapped the pic for reference for myself and then moved on. I'm pretty sure I have the passenger seat base slid as far forward as I can get it before flipping the seat forward. The driver seat is slid all the way back where I have it when driving and I just tilted the seat back forward.

I remember at the time I was first figuring out my setup, months and months ago, I was trying to have the rear separate from the front as futile as that sounds. I wanted to keep my dogs up front somehow and keep the humans in the back, at least while sleeping. There just isn't that much room in the back of a Bronco for that many bodies. That and my dogs are bed hogs. I don't know if you can see the floor in front of the rear seat, but I put more of that foam flooring there to kind of give my dogs a place to lay. Didn't really work out like I had hoped, but I think that's why I kept the seat back locked, so there'd be some sort of room underneath it.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,183 ·
I could also just pull the pins for the rear seat and take it out completely, but I was trying to avoid that. With no rear passengers I could leave it at home. With passengers I'd have to pop it out at our destination and leave it outside which may or may not be great, depending on the weather. I was just trying to keep everything all contained within the Bronco. Having a trailer would definitely make things a cake walk as far as having lots of supplies and room for everyone.

I always wanted one of those teardrop trailers to pull behind my truck. That was before I got a Bronco, though.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
490 Posts
...I was just trying to keep everything all contained within the Bronco. Having a trailer would definitely make things a cake walk as far as having lots of supplies and room for everyone...
LOL, last camping trip my wife and I decided to just take the tent and leave the trailer at home. We struggled to remember how to fit everything in the back of our full size suburban that has another 3 feet of room compared to the Bronco. Having trailer space is great. Of course part of the problem is we have a giant super comfy foam mattress that takes up a quarter of the space even folded. An air mattress would store easier, but they are a bit colder and a lot like a trampoline whenever my wife violently rolls over.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,185 ·
LOL, last camping trip my wife and I decided to just take the tent and leave the trailer at home. We struggled to remember how to fit everything in the back of our full size suburban that has another 3 feet of room compared to the Bronco. Having trailer space is great. Of course part of the problem is we have a giant super comfy foam mattress that takes up a quarter of the space even folded. An air mattress would store easier, but they are a bit colder and a lot like a trampoline whenever my wife violently rolls over.

Yeah, that's why I wanted an air mattress, at least in theory. Foam mattresses take up so much space, but that's all I remember ever using in my family growing up. We did have a giant LTD station wagon with what seemed like a roof long roof rack though, so I'm sure my parents packed that to the gills. Most of what I have has a fairly small footprint, minus that huge sleeping bag.

I did lay on the mattress before deflating it and packing it up. It did squish here and there as I crawled into position (I need real batteries for the pump and not the dollar store stuff I put in it), but once I got where I wanted it was pretty comfortable.

In a more perfect world, I'd have some sort of sweet exo-cage that allowed me to roll up my soft top without obstructing the sides and then I'd have a roof top tent on top of the exo. Then I could pack whatever in the back of the Bronco and sleep in safety from all the bears and rhinos on the ground.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,186 ·
Also had a couple items show up over the last couple of days.

My new adapters for my locknlube grease gun, so I can properly lube my new driveshaft and hit my lower ball joints with the way their zerks aim towards the tires.

And this mystery box. Not sure what it is.

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,730 Posts
Also had a couple items show up over the last couple of days.

My new adapters for my locknlube grease gun, so I can properly lube my new driveshaft and hit my lower ball joints with the way their zerks aim towards the tires.

Locknlube makes good stuff.

Reactions: El Kabong

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,188 ·
Well, I just got home about a half hour ago from my little camping trip. I do have say that I absolutely hate driving this thing. lol. The overall ride is not enjoyable over, say, 55 mph. It gets stupid loud and with no sway bars it'll rock side to side on dips in the road among other things.

Some of it is fixable, but some of it will be a matter of "do you want it capable on road or off road", because it's basically a tug of war. You pull the rope to one side and it's gotta give on the other end.

It truly is driving an unfinished product and every "trip" is a shakedown to find out what's broken or what's going to break. I had a little bit of everything and I really need to make a checklist of things and just knock them out one at a time.

I will say that I'm pleased with the engine. Other than some very leaky valve covers, which is my own fault since I took them off after the engine was dyno'd and they weren't leaking then, it ran perfectly. It still needs a real tune, specifically with the timing and the cruise a/f ratio.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,189 · (Edited)
I went about 120 ish miles north of where I live up to Pine, Idaho. @AbandonedBronco would probably be familiar with this area, along with anyone else on here who's from the general area aka Idaho.

I didn't search for "the perfect spot", but this one seemed decent. It was a pretty impromptu trip, I forgot a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,190 · (Edited)
Here's my bed and tent setup. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the added height it creates as far as getting in and out. I can hop in and out fairly easy with just the bare floor, not so much with the mattress in their. Step stool of some sort is in order.

It was at this point I realized the first forgotten item of many and that was a blanket. It was right around 50 at night, so it was cold enough to need something covering me while sleeping.

Anyway, I brought that sleeping bag with me, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to use one or the other, so I just put that on top of the mattress and got in that. Now my setup was even taller. Extremely comfortable, but tall.

The next day I took down the mattress and got in with just the sleeping bag to test it out on its own and the floor was just too hard, even with that little bit of foam padding I put on all of it. I put the mattress back up before it was time to use it all again.

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
I went about 120 ish miles north of where I live up to Pine, Idaho. @AbandonedBronco would probably be familiar with this area, along with anyone else on here who's from the general area aka Idaho.
I was camping out a few miles from Pine, Idaho this last weekend. 😁

Reactions: Doosenberry

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,192 · (Edited)
So, here's my biggest bad news from this last weekend. Apparently DuffTuff's universal long travel shock towers aren't tuff enough for a quad shock setup of their "ms2020" monotubes.

They were fine sitting idle at ride height when installed and seemed fine on the way there. I went for a little drive off the main road to take a peek at the reservoir and something just didn't feel "right". I poked around and saw this on both sides. Identical damage on both shock towers.

I checked out James Duff's website and it says the suspension parts are warrantied for a year. I bought these on Sept 3rd of last year. Wow. lol. I submitted a claim today, with pics, I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
490 Posts
Here's my bed and tent setup. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the added height it creates as far as getting in and out. I can hop in and out fairly easy with just the bare floor, not so much with the mattress in their. Step stool of some sort is in order.
I would just like to chime in here with a friendly "I told you so." ;D solid bins like those 50 gallonish models with the wheels and extendo handle like sold at hardware stores are good.

That's too bad about the suspension parts breaking...and that's with their recommended shocks and setup too, right?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,195 ·
Thats so crazy they both tore like that. Hopefully you can get it resolved quickly.
Yeah, I was surprised. However, that part of the tower is right where it's welded together. They make it on a single sheet of metal, notch a few spots, make some bends, and weld the spots back together.

This was before I had them powder coated.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I would just like to chime in here with a friendly "I told you so." ;D solid bins like those 50 gallonish models with the wheels and extendo handle like sold at hardware stores are good.

That's too bad about the suspension parts breaking...and that's with their recommended shocks and setup too, right?

I actually used the cooler I bought as a step, but it would wobble too much, plus I didn't like the idea of putting my dirty shoes all over the top of my cooler. I could push the mattress up and and hold it there while I jumped on the tailgate, but it was just a lot of annoying stuff I think could be better avoided with a purpose built apparatus.

Yeah, the shock towers are said to be made with those shocks in mind. However, they never specify that you can or can't use 2 of them (the ms2020 shocks on their site) at the same time on one tower. They show 2 shocks being used in some pictures on their site, like pictures for their extended radius arms (which I have), but they are hydraulic shocks and not gas charged like these are.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,995 Posts
Yeah, I was surprised. However, that part of the tower is right where it's welded together. They make it on a single sheet of metal, notch a few spots, make some bends, and weld the spots back together.
Looks to me like they could have been welded better. No way you can blame it on the dual shocks, when the arms are designed to use dual shocks. Hopefully they make it right and send you a new set.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,197 · (Edited)
Looks to me like they could have been welded better. No way you can blame it on the dual shocks, when the arms are designed to use dual shocks. Hopefully they make it right and send you a new set.

I absolutely agree. Even before I posted about it on here I was thinking that if they send me a new set I may just have someone add a little more meat to them and do some nice welds just as some insurance.

Probably not going to redo the powder coat as that was a "while I'm coating these springs and radius arms, I may as well get the rest of these small items done at the same time for not much more money" kinda deal.

Sucks that it happened, because I had everything packed up, had the soft top rolled up, and was going to explore off road a bit until I noticed those tears.

At least the towers stayed in mostly one piece for the 120 mile drive back home. I wasn't about to get stuck up in the mountains and be SOL. I'd rather be halfway home than somewhere where I have no cell service.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,710 Posts
Add a gusset in the middle towards the shocks... or create an engine bar of sorts to connect the 2, though this maybe a pain. Ironically, their old design had that gusset in it to begin with.

Looks like a fun trip anyways. More fun then I have had with mine lately.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,199 ·
Add a gusset in the middle towards the shocks... or create an engine bar of sorts to connect the 2, though this maybe a pain. Ironically, their old design had that gusset in it to begin with.

Looks like a fun trip anyways. More fun then I have had with mine lately.
Funny that you say that about the gussets.

I had a voicemail today from one of the guys at James Duff. It was from Taylor who says he's the one who develops their products. If you're a bit of an internet snoop like I am, there is a linkedin profile for a Taylor Steger and it indeed says he's the Product Developer at James Duff. Neato.

So, his message told me give him a call if I was ok with him asking me a few questions about my warranty claim. I spoke with him for about 30 minutes. He wanted to know more about my setup. How I was driving when they failed. Why I decided to run 4 of their ms2020 shocks on the front. Etc etc etc...

And for the first time in my life, I've apparently been the first one ever to do something. He said I'm the first one that he knows of to have run 4 of those shocks on the front.

He said they had revised their shock towers, like the ones I had installed, and he's had gussets added to them. He asked if he could send those to me to try out instead of sending an identical set of what I had installed. Sure, why not, right?

I think he was just going off the parts I had previously ordered, but he suggested I go with 7 degree c-bushings instead of the 4's I have on now. He asked if I did that if I would run single shocks with the new towers and see if that made the ride better for me and that if not then to go ahead and add the second set of shocks.

The reason he was asking me all of this stuff instead of just having them send out another set of towers and being done with it, is that they are developing a complete lift kit for the 78/79 Broncos that, from what I understood in our conversation, would include a lot of what I've added to mine.

They would be utilizing their long travel radius arms, their shock towers, their shocks, and a set of Deaver springs front and rear (he mentioned using Deavers meant for the 80-96 Broncos that would increase the wheelbase I believe) among other things that would make the kit complete. So I guess he wants to make sure that what he's putting together won't break, ya know, like it did on me, and that using a single shock setup with the shocks they sell would be enough for the "Big Broncos" as their website calls these 78/79s.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,200 ·
I would love to swap out the c-bushings, but it's going to be difficult for me financially as I'd most likely have to have a shop do the labor for me. I don't really think it'd be a good idea to attempt it myself. If you can tell from a lot of the pics I've posted recently, I'm living out of a motel right now (life's going great atm). Not exactly a great place to pull the front end apart. lol. I'm not even sure the management wouldn't kick me out if I started to do that.

Either way, I did order a set of 7 degree bushings and I guess I'll see what happens from here. There's a guy I work with that may be willing to help me out, but I've seen his handy work and it scares the shit out of me. lol. He did front end work on his 1500 Dodge and had the front left wheel come off while he was driving down the highway at 55+ mph. I'm assuming he forgot to torque something. These are the kinds of guys I work with and I get shit for driving Fords. lol. I guess I really just need a second set of hands and a place to do it. I can work the torque wrench.

1181 - 1200 of 1250 Posts