Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1250 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,710 Posts
IS too bad the distance so far as my garage is your garage or however you want to say it.

I run the 7 degree bushings in mine, with the 4" (yeah i know they get more) lift Super flex coils & duff arms, but I have single 2.5" fox raptor shocks mounted at front of axle. Anyways It drives great on the street, it could use a set of sway bars, but its a lifted bronco with 35's. No issues out of mine at 100+ mph. I think you will like it with the bushings swapped...

I think the double shock, will help with some of the body roll that deaver setup has. It should also make it take longer for the shocks to fade if you ever started cycling them fast (like in the dunes). In other words, I think the 2 shocks per corner (or 1 large 1) is the correct answer for a 78/79, especially one with an iron headed 460 in it.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
490 Posts
Same, I'd be happy to offer help or garage space, but I'm like 7 hours away, and I'm one of the closer members. Do we have any other Idaho members that could help?

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,203 ·
IS too bad the distance so far as my garage is your garage or however you want to say it.

I run the 7 degree bushings in mine, with the 4" (yeah i know they get more) lift Super flex coils & duff arms, but I have single 2.5" fox raptor shocks mounted at front of axle. Anyways It drives great on the street, it could use a set of sway bars, but its a lifted bronco with 35's. No issues out of mine at 100+ mph. I think you will like it with the bushings swapped...

I think the double shock, will help with some of the body roll that deaver setup has. It should also make it take longer for the shocks to fade if you ever started cycling them fast (like in the dunes). In other words, I think the 2 shocks per corner (or 1 large 1) is the correct answer for a 78/79, especially one with an iron headed 460 in it.

Thanks on the garage offer. Taylor said the same thing when I mentioned that and he's clear in Tennessee of course.

With mine, it does sway side to side on the street when taking corners or quick lane changes. I know it's a decent amount, because my German Shepherd likes to ride shotgun and with the factory suspension with factory sway bars he would only lean towards me on very hard left turns, like say a 45 degree turn at 35 mph, and stay in the passenger bucket seat without moving his paws anywhere.

With the Deavers and the single Duff shocks with no sway bars, on that same turn he'll take his front paws off the seat and put them on the floor boards to brace himself. He also leans on basically ever turn I take regardless of how sharp it is. I know it's a weird way to measure sway, but it was a really obvious thing I noticed compared to the feeling I got while strapped in my seat and holding the steering wheel.

Other than that it was just a little "floaty" on road and amazing off road. I wanted the double shocks up front to remove that softer, floaty feeling, and they did. With the single shocks the Bronco would kind of rock front to back slightly when going down the road over small dips. I previously joked in this thread about it giving me sea sickness after a decent continuous drive, like when I drive to work at 45 mph for a few miles. It wasn't like driving in my truck where the front and rear both cycle together and the whole truck just goes up and down.

I did notice the off road ride was a little stiffer, but I didn't get to experiment much with that before the towers started tearing. All I got to drive on during my trip last weekend, and I mentioned this to Taylor, was river rock. I was driving maybe 10 mph across the dry portion of the reservoir I was at and it had a lot of flat areas with river rock, so it was like the equivalent of driving on a washboard dirt road. The shocks were taking rapid, short strokes at slow speed. Nothing crazy in my eyes.

Either way, this is where I decide if dealing with a little "meh" while driving on road is worth having a great time off road or if I want it the other way. Nice on road, but a little stiff off road.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,204 ·
Same, I'd be happy to offer help or garage space, but I'm like 7 hours away, and I'm one of the closer members. Do we have any other Idaho members that could help?
Thanks, I appreciate it.

There are some members I've seen on here from Idaho, but all the notable ones I'm familiar with are a ways north of me. Boise is approximately 120 miles away and there's at least a member or two up there. At that point, it's almost worth having a shop do it due to the cost of gas and time vs cost of labor/hr. It'd be like 100 bucks for me to drive my Bronco to Boise and back (240 miles round trip, 10 mpg in the Bronco, premium gas here is over $4/gal and it uses premium only). I mean, I would get to meet some cool Bronco dudes though, right?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,205 · (Edited)
Few more pics from camping.

This is just showing how I managed to get that tent on a lot straighter than the first time I set it up, pre-lifted Bronco. You can see the grey portion of the tent is more inline with the roofline.

It's too bad the upper bungies are so long and these Broncos are so short, compared to a fullsize truck with a camper shell. I ran that passenger side bungie and hooked it to my coil spring to get the right tension. The bottom one is hooked onto the leaf springs, they have some bars that go across them in places and that one is somewhere in the middle of the pack. Then there's that bungie that goes from side to side under the tailgate. I had to wrap it around the ball hitch on my bumper a few times and then run it to the other side to get it just right.

Shot from inside the tent after I laid out the sleeping bag. This was just to show the bars the hold the tent up. These were supplied from Softopper and are made of the same material that they make their soft top frames out of.

If you're not quick with the zippers on the screen doors, you end up with things like this inside the tent. Not sure what species this is, but it does not look friendly. I got him out of there quick.

Me, getting ready to tackle the terrain that tore my shock towers. lmao. So extreme.

Man, those bars sure are goofy lookin'. I kinda want to cut the top portion above the bars off of them to make the profile just a little smaller. I probably should have taken them off prior to the trip, considering I wasn't putting anything on them. I was curious how they'd do and what noise I'd get. They definitely added a little moaning over the cab on the highway.

Just checking out a dirt road, never been here before. Second gear, rolling around 10 mph, and seeing the sights.

Top rolled down and a couple pics before heading back up the mountain, out of the reservoir, and to the highway. The reservoir was very very low this year. Nearly empty. This was like the only portion that had water. The earlier pics I posted where my dogs are running around is usually under water on wet years.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,710 Posts
Sway bars which mount a bar on the frame, then have links that go to axle, maybe good option. Then u just disconnect them when at off-road place. If needed
Agree that what you were doing is very normal for these trucks, the mounts should take that

·
Registered
394 Posts
To me it looks like a poor design with a lot of leverage right at the weld. The mount bolted to the frame and then angling outward from the bolt surface puts all the pressure right at the weld.

I converted mine to coil over shocks in front and made mounts that use the original coil spring bucket mounting bolts. I use limit straps too.

Do you know if you used alot of your up travel- enough that the shocks topped out and were yanking down on the shock mount?

If the shock is the travel limiter that is hard on the shocks. Mine are viking shocks and they require a limiter of some sort so the shock isn't topping out.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,710 Posts
I feel like if you bottom the shock out (fully compress it) it could of caused this failure too, well easier to cause it anyways.
I agree on the limit straps. especially with Deaver springs. If your setup will flex as much as mine, the front driveshaft will bind up if the shocks have enough travel.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,209 ·
To me it looks like a poor design with a lot of leverage right at the weld. The mount bolted to the frame and then angling outward from the bolt surface puts all the pressure right at the weld.

I converted mine to coil over shocks in front and made mounts that use the original coil spring bucket mounting bolts. I use limit straps too.

Do you know if you used alot of your up travel- enough that the shocks topped out and were yanking down on the shock mount?

If the shock is the travel limiter that is hard on the shocks. Mine are viking shocks and they require a limiter of some sort so the shock isn't topping out.

I agree, poor design. And you're correct, they teared at those welds and basically made the towers flat again instead of angling out.

I have 12" travel shocks on the front. They pretty much sit in the middle of their travel at ride height, so I end up with a potential of 6" up and 6" down. However, and I'll have to get a pic of my suspension flexed from the side (maybe my avatar zoomed in) to show this, but my radius arms would swing up and hit the frame before the shocks could ever fully compress.

I've flexed it before as far as I could on rocks and felt the shocks and in either direction I've had about 3 or so inches of the piston still out of the shock housing. That of course would be a little different if I flexed it hard at speed, like if taking a jump. I can promise you I wasn't doing that on my trip. lol

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,210 ·
Well, maybe hitting the frame was an exaggeration. That and I was going from memory. Anyway, you can see how it's getting fairly close here. This would be a situation where I'd still have that somewhere around 3" of shock stroke left. I don't think driving over a flat area of river rock at 10 mph would command that amount of travel.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,211 ·
When I first had all of this lift stuff put on and I had single shocks, I took it across the canyon (where I took that flexing pic) and flogged it a bit on trails people ride their quads and dirkbikes on and had no issues. I had the contents of my cab flying around. No tearing of the towers until these dual shocks on my camping trip.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,212 ·
And while I'm on a roll here, the shop that installed my lift commented on how hard it was to compress the shocks and it took them a long time to install them. James Duff has an installation video they made for these shocks specifically because of complaints about how hard it is to get them on. It has "Monster Mike" showing you how to use a floor jack to help compress the bottom of the shocks once you have the top installed. I've installed Bilstein monotubes on my truck and it took me all of 5 minutes to get one on by hand, so these ms2020 shocks must be supercharged with gas or whatever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
And while I'm on a roll here, the shop that installed my lift commented on how hard it was to compress the shocks and it took them a long time to install them. James Duff has an installation video they made for these shocks specifically because of complaints about how hard it is to get them on. It has "Monster Mike" showing you how to use a floor jack to help compress the bottom of the shocks once you have the top installed. I've installed Bilstein monotubes on my truck and it took me all of 5 minutes to get one on by hand, so these ms2020 shocks must be supercharged with gas or whatever.
Firstly, you have beautiful dogs. We have a Husky/Golden mix and your white dog reminds me of her.

With the information posted above, I can see how the dual shock with rapid movements can do that. There's not a whole lot of meat in the crease on the shock towers and you are almost "hammering" on it. It also doesn't hurt the long part of the shock tower is acting like a lever against itself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you concerned with the weight of the 35" tire on your spare tire carrier? Whether its swung all the way open for a long period or driving briskly through rougher terrain.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,710 Posts
mine is strapped right around 11.7" as the shaft starts to bind at 12.25".... my setup not your setup or truck, but just something to think about.... I need it to be able to operate at the extreme ends of travel at speed though.

The bigger shocks get harder to install... I usually just drop the axle all the way down to install mine now. Easier then using a jack and stuff

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,216 ·
Firstly, you have beautiful dogs. We have a Husky/Golden mix and your white dog reminds me of her.

With the information posted above, I can see how the dual shock with rapid movements can do that. There's not a whole lot of meat in the crease on the shock towers and you are almost "hammering" on it. It also doesn't hurt the long part of the shock tower is acting like a lever against itself.
Thanks. I don't know her breed specifically and I get asked about it all the time. Shes a mix, but I'm pretty sure she's mostly husky. She acts like it, looks like it, and certainly blows out her coat like it. Most people (who don't know dogs well) assume she's a white German Shepherd and I usually just say yes, she is, because it's a rabbithole of a conversation if I say otherwise. Kids usually ask if my German Shepherd is a "cop dog" and it's hard to say no. lol. I need to train him to read them their rights.

Here's Hazel shortly after getting to our campsite.

And to answer your question on the spare. I'm not worried about it hanging open. I had it like that for basically 48 hours while camping. Obviously I wouldn't add more unnecessary weight to it or do something like climb on it. As far as driving off road, I wouldn't worry about that either. Don't tell anyone, but my passenger side tailgate striker isn't even on the Bronco right now and I haven't damaged anything, yet. lol. If you look back at my pre-camping pics where I'm testing out my mattress, you can see its not there.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,217 ·
mine is strapped right around 11.7" as the shaft starts to bind at 12.25".... my setup not your setup or truck, but just something to think about.... I need it to be able to operate at the extreme ends of travel at speed though.

The bigger shocks get harder to install... I usually just drop the axle all the way down to install mine now. Easier then using a jack and stuff

I'll definitely consider some straps. I asked about it when having my "kit" put on and the shop owner said he could make some once I knew the limits of my suspension. I never got around to it as my Bronco has sat more than it's been used, by a lot.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,218 ·
The new towers were shipped last night and I have the tracking. I need to see if FedEx can reroute it to a different address though. Duff sent it to my old address and that ain't gonna work. I even updated it on their site prior to them shipping it. Must have not been fast enough about it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The new towers were shipped last night and I have the tracking. I need to see if FedEx can reroute it to a different address though. Duff sent it to my old address and that ain't gonna work. I even updated it on their site prior to them shipping it. Must have not been fast enough about it.
if you call them (fedex) they can reroute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,220 ·
if you call them (fedex) they can reroute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I figured. The last time this happened it was through UPS and I just had them hold it at their location here in town and I went and picked it up. I'd do that with FedEx, but they are not located in town. I'll give them a call.

1201 - 1220 of 1250 Posts