Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1250 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,221 ·
I left a message with James Duff about the address before I posted on here and they got back to me before I called Fedex. They said they submitted an address change with Fedex, so it should be coming to me, but might be delayed because of that. Not sure how much of a delay that would cause, but whatever, it'll get here. The tracking said it'd be here on the 8th, so I'd imagine it'd be here at the end of next week at the latest.

I'm curious to see what the towers look like, because when I originally ordered all of the parts from them (Radius arms, Torque Tamer, etc etc) I ordered different universal towers that they had listed for all the fullsize Broncos. They contacted me before fulfilling the order and explained those towers wouldn't work on a 78/79 (and they changed the desciption) and then pointed me towards the ones I got. I didn't care which ones I ended up with, I just wanted some new towers for eyelet to eyelet, long travel shocks.

Now, they've discontinued those towers (as of February) for the 80-96 Broncos and have all of the fullsize Broncos using the ones I had that failed. I went through my old orders on their site to look at the design of the original ones I ordered and it said so on the page for those towers. The ones they were selling specific for the 80-96 Broncos look almost identical to the ones they sell for the early Broncos.

Here are the towers for the Early Broncos. They look pretty much identical to the ones they used to sell for the 80-96 Broncos.

Here are the towers for the 80-96 Broncos that they have now discontinued. You can see they show them in use with the long travel radius arms on a SAS'd 80-96, which is what I was expecting to use when I made my original order.

And here are the ones I had. They show them being used on an Early Bronco.

Not that any of this matters, I'm just looking at stuff to pass the time between job duties.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's a tremendous difference in design.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,223 ·
That's a tremendous difference in design.
Sure is. When I was talking to Taylor on the phone he said the main reason they went with that particular design was to have it double shear with one shock. So in that sense, mission accomplished, I guess.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,224 ·
With two shocks it apparently double shears right at the welds.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,225 ·
Well, looks like they arrived when FedEx originally said they would, so that's good.

These look like identical shock towers to what I had before, but they welded in some more meat on the inside of them near those welds that tore on mine. Doesn't look like they welded the areas on the top from the inside, but they did do some good beads from the outside.

Looks like they did a little extra grinding around the outside where the towers were bent into shape as well. I don't recall the other ones I have having marks in the metal under the powder coat from the grinder. Not that that matters, just pointing out what I see.

Any opinions from any fabricators here? I'm not a fabricator, so I feel like my own opinions may hold little merit on what matters for strength and whatnot.

Shoe Product Silver Hood Crankset

Automotive tire Hood Tire Grille Rim

Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting

Hood Grey Finger Bumper Vehicle door

Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Carbon

Hood Grey Automotive design Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Water Grey Rectangle Composite material Tints and shades

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Grey

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,710 Posts
Those will be better, but in my opinion they should of done a gusset like the old design had.
I do think these are likely to hold up ok as they are now though... I would not expect them to take catching air in a bronco, for long though. To that point a cross brace is really needed when you start doing that stuff and I doubt that is the "target" end user.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Or a truss or brace of some sort supporting the top of the bracket where it angles out away from the frame.Just seems like it's under built to me unless it's just for a pavement ***** truck.

It looks better but not as good as they could have done i believe.

I'm no pro fabricator so this opinion is from a dumb dumb.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,228 ·
Those will be better, but in my opinion they should of done a gusset like the old design had.
I do think these are likely to hold up ok as they are now though... I would not expect them to take catching air in a bronco, for long though. To that point a cross brace is really needed when you start doing that stuff and I doubt that is the "target" end user.

That's what I was thinking, some sort of "backbone" like those other towers had looks stronger. Granted, I don't plan on launching this thing, I think you're right about the end user they are going after.

I like the radius arms. They seem stout. I haven't attempted anything "crazy" enough to really test the torque tamer. I did a really hard launch at a light prior to having it (or any of these lift parts) and got a lot of wheel hop. I'll have to try that again sometime I guess.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,229 ·
Also, for anyone curious, the metal these are made of measures out at 3/16". I just measured the face of the edges facing the camera. It's hard to tell from the weld beads, but those extra pieces they added are at least 3/16", maybe 1/4".

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,230 ·
I'll be "testing" these towers and c-bushings out this weekend. They are going on tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,231 ·

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,232 ·
Tried not to go too hard. I had to drive it home and all. One of my 9 year olds (twins) was recording for me. This was about 25 mph.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,233 ·
Guess I'll need straps and bump stops if I drive it like that.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That looks like the suspension is working pretty well.

Also, that exhaust is too loud? Seems very quiet to me

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,235 ·
I had it around 2200 rpm in 3rd gear, so no, it's not too loud there from outside. Anything above 2500 and it gets really loud inside. I don't think my phone picks it up real well either tbh.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,236 ·
I wouldn't care if this was something I towed place to place. I can't hear myself when talking in the cab at 50 mph. I can have a conversation without raising my voice in my truck at the same speed. I know they aren't apples to apples 100%, but there is room for improvement.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,710 Posts
Guess I'll need straps and bump stops if I drive it like that.
Agree... though I also think it looked good too, for not really trying to build something to jump, per say...
I personally like PRP limit straps but there are several brands to pick from. Bumps on the front are espeically important as the 460 front part of the oil pan is right in where the axle comes up. Mine is very close at the hard limits.

Im jealous of your offroading spot also, looks like a good time.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,238 ·
Im jealous of your offroading spot also, looks like a good time.

It's in the same area I went camping a couple weeks ago. I'm fairly sure it's usually under water during wet years as it's part of a reservoir. I've only ever seen four wheelers and side by sides ripping around down there, never a full size vehicle. I was all by myself for whatever reason when I made those videos.

This is from the previous time I was there.

Ecoregion Mountain Sky Natural environment Bedrock

If you drive further south in that area, you have to cross what is essentially a stream or two with the water that low (guy on the left in that pic is crossing one), and then there's a large area that's all very soft sand.

What I was driving on in the videos was more like desert dirt, which is what we have where I live. I got a small taste of what it must be like driving on legit dunes. It's like it sucks the horsepower right out of the Bronco. You can feel it sink a bit and it's like you're pushing something in front of you, because of the added resistance.

There's a place that's much closer to where I live, right across the canyon here, that people use for dirt bikes and side by sides, but the trails are very narrow and windy and not very full size vehicle friendly. Some spots are even banked from use. I wish we had an actual ORV park around here.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,239 ·
I also tried to improve my mpg on the drive home. If anyone is familiar with the Sniper handheld, there are three air/fuel setpoints. Idle. Cruise. Wot. It comes out of the box set at 14:1 for cruise I believe. I had it set at 14.2:1 on the drive there. I bumped it up to 15:1 for my drive home. Again, this was the cruise setpoint only.

I calculated mpg for the same stretch of about 80 miles two times. The total trip is 120 miles one way, but due to when/where I gas up and how my gps speedo/trip meter resets when I unplug it or turn it off, I only did that 80 mile portion.

I drove at approximately 50-53 mph the whole way, minus stopping a couple of times for breaks. Mpg on the way there was 9. Mpg on the way back was 11.5. All I did was change the cruise air fuel ratio setting on the Sniper handheld. Doesn't sound like much, but for a 460 it's a nice jump.

I calculated it at 10 mpg both ways on a previous trip before I had the lift, among other parts, so I'm sure some things negatively affected it for me to get 9. Ideally, I'd get a laptop and fine tune the fuel and timing tables, bit I don't currently have that ability. Who knows, maybe I could squeeze out another mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,240 ·
@cwegga I tried using a tote this time to get in the back and I cracked the lid in half after a couple in and outs. I'm not sure what kind of tote's you're using, but clearly the stuff from Costco is not up to the task of holding an adult's weight. The kids had no issues of course. I'm once again going to be looking for a proper folding step stool that'll do the job and not take up too much space. lol

I took a considerably larger amount of stuff this time since I had the kids. I'm willing to forego a lot of "niceties" when by myself, but figured it was a good idea to actually get a decent set of camping supplies, which I had already been accumulating for quite a while, so I probably ended up with something around at least a few hundred pounds worth of stuff in the back when all said and done. With a full tank of gas (33 gallons), this softer rear suspension really squats. I couldn't imagine towing something with a soft suspension like this.

This is fully loaded, minus the kids. When I was driving around in the videos I made I had 90% of the gear out of the Bronco (which allowed me to have the top rolled up, it's stacked high) and maybe 1/2-2/3 of a tank of gas.

1221 - 1240 of 1250 Posts