Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a loud whirring sound that seems to be coming from my rear diff.

it gets louder with speed as i step on the gas, but lower when i take my foot off the gas.

brought this to my mechanic while the truck was still under warranty (few months ago).....he said it's just that the gears are a old, and that i could "expect" some sound like that.

he put in some kind of additive -- a "friction modifier" i think it's called -- which he thought might smoothe things out. it quieted the sound down for a while, but now it's back completely.

also:
when i step on the gas form a stop, there's a little bit of play - truck doesnt move right away, and you can feel a small *thud* as if things weren't tight back there anymore.

any thoughts?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
My guess would be bearings, mine made that noise when they were about to go.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
your u joints can mae that sound, but sounds like th epinion bearing is getting toast.
remove the rear driveshaft by the rear axle. try tightening the nut on the pinion yoke. if it movs easily your bearings where probably not seating right do to wear(or someitmes the 8.8's just back off do to the crush sleeve)
if its really loose i would look at getting a rebuild for the rearend(new bearings and races)
if its just a little loose, itghten it up and see how it feels on the road.

your mechanic doesnt sound the brightest to me...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried to get him to do this crap when it was under warranty.

would have saved me a lot of work and $$

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
guidogabriele said:
i tried to get him to do this crap when it was under warranty.

would have saved me a lot of work and $$
yam, beaucse he wanted it to last till warranty was up so he could make $$ from you. if he replaces it for warranty he will usually get flat rate, where he will be getting book rate from you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts