Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what this little white box behind the 4x4 switch is? I was thinking maybe the factory amp?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
pretty shure its not the amp since there was a big ass metal thing under the dash and the sound stopped when i unplugged it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting:beer:banghead..there are a few wires cut on the connectors and the bronco seems to be running fine. Figured it may be the amp..I wonder if some one else know what that thing is for before I go through the trouble of splicing those wires.

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts
yo nando!
Looks like pfun is correcto mongo!

Here is a 96's Instrument Panel Wiring Connector/Component Location Diagram for F-150, F-250, F-350 and Bronco (Gasoline Engines)
@ http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/stj/stji1015.htm

46 18B849 Premium Sound Amplifier
47 14B166 Shift on the Fly Switch
-----------------
Air Bag Module, Remote Keyless Entry Module and Radio Amplifier and Wiring

Amplifier & Radio Color Codes & Connector Pinouts for 87-96
Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never said Pfun41 was incorrect..:rockon. Have gone through a few of those wire diagrams but still cant figure out what the hell that white box is. Miesk5 can you provide some info on it?:popc1:

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts
Never said Pfun41 was incorrect..:rockon. Have gone through a few of those wire diagrams but still cant figure out what the hell that white box is. Miesk5 can you provide some info on it?:popc1:
yo!

No problem, I didn't intend to imply that he was incorrect; was just agreeing with him in my slightly bent manner...lol

Here is the same diagram, but by Steve83:

It is looking from engine area to back of da dash

but #'s are diff;
44 - Connector to Premium Sound Amplifier (Part of 14401)
45 - Wiring to Shift on the Fly Switch (SOF) (Part of 14401)
46 - Wiring to Electric Defroster (Bronco) 14A262

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesnt look like the ESOF based on the picture in Steve83s library. The diagram isnt to clear on what it may be either. Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts
yo,
ok,
It's not the amplifier, but could be the amp connector? do the wire colors & connector look like the ones I posted by Steve83?

and maybe w can start excluding some thAngs;

Here is a Chime pic by Travis in his 94
Chime. "the buzzer is directly to the right of the steering colum under the dashboard. it is a white box about 3X1X1/2 inches; if you have a higer trim package (XLT or higher, however my XL E150 has it) there is a "reminder package" it sounds the chime when the lights are left on, the vehicle is off and the door is opened. If you are having trouble with it not working or working intermittently then it's probably the tumbler. (the piece the key goes into)."
Source: by scout_
Doesn't look like the chime

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope not the chime..found that one along with the air bag module(blue one) and what seems to be the amp. :banghead

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
connectors do look similar however..but instead of gray one is white. The diagram shows that if it were radio/amp related the plugs should be gray and black....and the amount of wires on those two plugs on the pic dont seem to add up to the radio/amp withres. Also the plugs for the radio/amp are one row and these are double rowed.

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts
ok, Now I'm thinking that it could be an after-market alarm, etc.?
I went thru a lot of the usual component Links in my broncolinks.com site and didn't see anything that looks like the pics you posted.
Can you see what is embossed on the top of that box?
And how is it mounted/ double-back tape; non-Ford screws?

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts
I have to roll now.

Can you trace any of those wires back?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks to be factory mounted on top of the a/c duct right behind the 4x4 switch. The wiring seems to bundle into the wire harness under the dash towards the fire wall. I am currently at work but will dive deeper into this once I get home. Based on the connects and the way the wires are bundled it doesnt seem like it is an after market alarm. If you look at the pic there is a screw of some sort holding that thing thru the vent. also there is no other wires coming out of that thing. Those two pulgs are the only ones on it.

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts
ok, not da amp; because; Location in a 96; from 1996 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual; \"...amplifier is behind the radio, mounted to a bracket on the instrument panel (04320). Disconnect radio amplifier wire harness. Remove two radio amplifier retaining screws. Slide amplifier slightly away from instrument panel bracket (to disengage the upper tab to instrument panel bracket) and then down to remove...\"

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine is a 94 so Im guess it would be very similar to the 96..just making sure. and you are correct amp is not based on the workshop manual. I am going through it as well. I did see a harness that steve83 had in his spare parts list and I dont see those connectors on their either.

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts