Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the ole-as yet to be named-Bronco is back at the shop. I’ve pretty much finished the interior and am looking forward to getting this thing buttoned up. Anyhoo, at the shop this morning I was looking at the top in all of it’s matte finish glory, and decided to have it painted gloss like the rest of the Bronco. I’ve had the entire Bronco repainted so I’m not worried about faded or matching paint.

Anyone ever done this or have a picture of what it looks like? Anyone know how to mock it up on a computer. Anyone know how fast a Swallow flies?

Thanks much!

KCD

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,351 Posts
73.5 mph......

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Seems like most use matte and texture- but think it would look good glossy- but may take alot of prep work. European or African? Laden or not?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have seen some pics, and am actually working on getting mine sorted out (will be done much later than yours) overall including redoing the top and probably will go gloss as well. Have seen a Craigslist posting over in Texas (listing everywhere else to sell it) where the top has had a gloss finish on a brown 87 EB edition to make it look nicer (but still not worth the $13.5k they are asking in my opinion). Here is the link 1987 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 4x4 #A62344 - cars & trucks - by dealer...

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,934 Posts
Mine is painted with gloss automotive paint, but in a charcoal color. Going on 16+ years now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like that. Same idea but want it body color. I think it
will look awesome. All white. Do you recall if they sanded it much to knock down the texture? Prolly not too much of a difference, but hey!

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I had mine repainted in 2013, they did the top in a gloss mocha tan to match my two-tone paint. It turned out fine.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,934 Posts
I like that. Same idea but want it body color. I think it View attachment 159748 will look awesome. All white. Do you recall if they sanded it much to knock down the texture? Prolly not too much of a difference, but hey!
I didnt own it at the time, so I cant say what was done. But there is some texture left, to answer your question.

·
Registered
'93 XLT, white w/ tan interior, auto tran, elec. transfer, auto hubs.
21 Posts
I would like to have the top on my white '93 gloss as well.
Anyone got pics of a white gloss top?

·
Addicted to Junk
11,934 Posts
The texture that's there shows more in photos than in person.
Ditto. The glare shows the texture more. I dont really notice it much in person.

I may be wrong, but @raleigh 's old top might have been gloss. It was white, before the incident...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Our 79 has a smooth gloss finish and I just finished another top that will have slider windows and the same smooth shiny sterling grey. I agree with Broncosarge you literally can not sand it smooth. Lots of block sanding with 80 grit to knock it down best as you can, and then a hole gallon of hi-build polyester primer with lots of block sanding between each of the three primer coats, with a final block sand of 400. Looks as smooth as the rest of the truck with no texture left showing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah.....hopefully mine will be buttoned up in the next week or so...nice ride...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Very nice! I really like the color combo, but those black wheels aren't doing anything for it. It needs some aluminum/polished/chrome wheels... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Are they using gloss single stage paint or base coat/clear coat on these tops? Some of these I'm suspecting clear coat. Only thing that may be concerning is if the clear coat ever fails how would you sand it off for a repaint without removing the texture.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are they using gloss single stage paint or base coat/clear coat on these tops? Some of these I'm suspecting clear coat. Only thing that may be concerning is if the clear coat ever fails how would you sand it off for a repaint without removing the texture.
Absolutely no idear...I assume the same process that they used for the rest of the Bronco. It’s a high end shop so I’m letting them make the call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts