Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,730 Posts
Are they using gloss single stage paint or base coat/clear coat on these tops? Some of these I'm suspecting clear coat. Only thing that may be concerning is if the clear coat ever fails how would you sand it off for a repaint without removing the texture.
Mine is a metallic base and clear. Been in the high Colorado sun from 2004-15, then here in KS since. Not a single issue, besides a few small chips from damage. The same paint is on my bushwacker flares, and has lasted all this time. Except on the river covers oddly. It's also on my spare tire carrier.

As far as product specifics, idk.

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I hope that did not come across as a$$holish..my apologies..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welp, decided to go with the gloss to match the rest of the paint. Kinda excited about it. Shop is a bit behind but it’s hot as hell here and I’m not driving it without getting aircon sorted anyway. Shouldn’t be too mush longer and I’ll post some pics so other can see it.

Thanks Board!

·
OMF
2,931 Posts
Ditto. The glare shows the texture more. I dont really notice it much in person.

I may be wrong, but @raleigh 's old top might have been gloss. It was white, before the incident...
Mine was indeed gloss, I knocked down the texture somewhat, but I like some texture on it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mine was indeed gloss, I knocked down the texture somewhat, but I like some texture on it.

AHA!! Exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you! Looks great, although you might need a new set of tires...

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,050 Posts
Our 79 has a smooth gloss finish and I just finished another top that will have slider windows and the same smooth shiny sterling grey. I agree with Broncosarge you literally can not sand it smooth. Lots of block sanding with 80 grit to knock it down best as you can, and then a hole gallon of hi-build polyester primer with lots of block sanding between each of the three primer coats, with a final block sand of 400. Looks as smooth as the rest of the truck with no texture left showing.
When I did mine I considered having it gel coated. For about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Has anyone ever done basecoat/clearcoat on the topper using a satin clear? The grandson and I are getting closer to paint and we were kicking around different scenarios. Brother in Law suggested it as a way to keep it similar to factory flattened paint, but the satin clear would provide UV protection for the topper paint.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,730 Posts
Has anyone ever done basecoat/clearcoat on the topper using a satin clear? The grandson and I are getting closer to paint and we were kicking around different scenarios. Brother in Law suggested it as a way to keep it similar to factory flattened paint, but the satin clear would provide UV protection for the topper paint.
Sure, that would work good. I've not seen it done, but should look fairly factory.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Welp, after all this time and etc. finally getting top done. Right of wrong. Going with some type of “bullet, rhino, blah blah, blah, spray on my top. Apparently they spray a first coat, second coat that is mixed with the gloss Oxford white then some kind of clear coat to protect it from turning yellow or “fading” Honestly guys, I’m just glad to get this part done. I get there are pros and cons to all things but I’m actually ready to just drive this Bronco. Had it for over two years and maybe put 100 miles on it. Windows are coming out today or Monday, sent to other shop and should have it done-at least top by end of next week. Sheesh..

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,610 Posts
Welp, after all this time and etc. finally getting top done. Right of wrong. Going with some type of “bullet, rhino, blah blah, blah, spray on my top. Apparently they spray a first coat, second coat that is mixed with the gloss Oxford white then some kind of clear coat to protect it from turning yellow or “fading” Honestly guys, I’m just glad to get this part done. I get there are pros and cons to all things but I’m actually ready to just drive this Bronco. Had it for over two years and maybe put 100 miles on it. Windows are coming out today or Monday, sent to other shop and should have it done-at least top by end of next week. Sheesh..
Good for you... Can't wait to see it 👍

·
Super Moderator
25,383 Posts
Yo,
I imagine the gloss is easier to clean sea gull poo than stock.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Welp-here it is. Haven’t seen it in person but headed that way in a few hours. Thoughts? The windows are factory “tinted” so I think it will be a nice contrast.
I’m just glad to be getting the damn thing back so I can start to putz around with it. Anybody got a gray cargo cover? Factory molded sidesteps are next.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Right direction! Looking good, I’m sure it was less expensive than mine!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts