Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who alls running MSD?

who all is running it and how much of it do you have? IE, just the MSD box or the coil or dizzy? what all do you have? and if there are others with different electronic controls, lets hear about that. i know the MSD delivers up to 6 sparks instead of just one at lower RPMs. i am happy with the stock electronics and i am just really interested in the add-ons like MSD. i have heard that they are fairly easy to wire. whats up? whatcha got under that there hood son? AXE

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
Um, EFI or non-EFI will make a big difference in peoples opinions and results from aftermarkt ingition box's

I have the SUPER EFI :D and the Crane Fireball ingition box / coil setup.
It's just as good as MSD and cheaper

I'll save my EFI vs non EFI speech for later after lots people respond to this

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok just since i have a non EFI, i guess thats who i am asking mostly, but i didnt want to exclude anyone. any info is relavant if its constructive. Ryan, is the system you have made for non EFI? and if so, is it a multiple spark discharge like MSD? like i said, i really dont want to replace everything. as i understand it, the MSD can be added to existing systems? or is it replacing everything that fires the ford now?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
Both the MAS, Crane, Jacobs, ect can be used on EFI or non EFI.

All those little box's do it intercept the original spark signal to the coil and replace it with lots of smaller ones. So my Crane box can do anything the MSD can and work on EFI or not.

I plan on doing a dyno and millage compair test of a MSD and Crane in a future Bronco Driver :thumbup

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I have an MSD Blaster 2 coil and the 6-Offroad control. It is very easy to wire up. I've heard nothin but good about Jacobs, so that's definantley somethin to consider. As far as feeling a difference, I'm gonna say that I couldn't really tell. Most motors don't make enough power to require what these systems provide. I will say though, that driving through the mountains while towing a very heavy trailer, I was able to maintain decent speeds, and the power never dropped off. That's really were these things work best, by providing plenty of spark ( by means of capacative discharge) even up high in the revs were the stock system begins to drop off. But even then, it wasn't that much of an advantage.
Now, had I been running nitrous or a form of forced induction, then hell yeah, big difference. And, these systems help extend plug life. There's so much juice goin through the plugs that carbon deposits don't have much chance to build up on them. It will also help your gas mileage for the same reasons.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Oh yeah, and you can replace everything or one piece at a time. Right now, my control box isn't working, so I took it out of the loop and am just using the Blaster 2 coil with the rest of the stock system. I can also run the box with the stock coil if I wanted. And later, I can swap out the distributor with an MSD.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i have the MSD 6a with coil and i'm happy with it. i've noticed my idle is smoother and there is a slight increase in power. i've had mine for 3 years and is still running stronge.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Not talking from experience, cause I've had interest in upgrading my system as well, but I'be heard the MSD has a tendancy to fail. As in, when you wire it, don't hard wire it and remove your old system, cause it might bail out and you'll have to switch back.

Again, no experience, just what I've heard. If I'm wrong, please tell me, cause I would like to upgrade as well.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I have the MSD Off Road on my 92. Works great until the day it decided to internally self destruct. Drove it fine. Came out to the garage for a beer and smelled electrical burning. Looked around the garage couldn't find anything. Peeked out side and saw smoke rising from my fender and a real nice sizzling sound.

Anyway, MSD warrantied it but I now have a cheap MSD in the truck as a backup because it gave no prior warning. It was running great for about 8 months.

Apparently others have had similar issues.

I am going to use a DUI distributor on my 79 400M. Have you thought about going that route for your 460. A little more but all your electronics are now housed in the dist.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
msd box, coil, dizz, wires.

both in my truck and my brothers stang.

why? because they both had them when we got them.

my brothers failed a couple months ago, we sent it to MSD, they couldnt fix it, so they send us a new one. Total cost to us: $8 s/h. We didnt even buy it or have a reciept. Turnaround was about 2 weeks.

So thats why I would buy MSD if I needed to replace/build an ignition system.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Yeah, my offroad 6 crapped out on me to while I was towing my dad's truck through the mountains. I had to rewire everything by flashlight on the side of a mountain. She runs great right now though with stock igniton plus blaster coil.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
Oscar said:
Im have Crane ignition box with msd boost retard and that works great and here is my future system
:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
Save your money, get a TwEECer. you can control your timing and fuel ratios, with better accuracy.

I leave my ingition box OFF half the time, trying to find a difference. I can't!

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I have a MSD 6A and Blater coil with the MSD wire harness.

I love it. Gave me way more top end balls out on the highway, and i get a lot more efficient fuel burn.

I dont know why people are always paranoid about the box dying on you, and acting like you would be stranded out in the middle of no where.

The thing is, if it does die, then you simply unplug the box from your wire harness, and plug the stock stuff back in to the coil directly.
I dont see your box and your coil ever dying at the same time so you would be fine.

Once you get home, send it to MSD, they will fix it, get it back and put it back in by simply hooking the wires back into the wiring harness and yoru all set.

I think total time lost by unplugging, and then having to reinstll it after the unit is repaired is about 15 minutes.

:shrug :shrug :shrug

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Well, their warranty doesn't last forever. You have I think 6 months to a year from the day you place the order for it to fail. However, they usually stand by their product, and I imagine it wouldn't be to hard to get them to fix it. What you said about the coil and box goin out at the same time... My coil went out first on the same trip, but I had a spare, so I was safe. That was just a bad trip all together. If you look at my picture in the motor pics thread, you'll see it's a birds nest. But she runs great.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
Save your money, get a TwEECer. you can control your timing and fuel ratios, with better accuracy.

I leave my ingition box OFF half the time, trying to find a difference. I can't!
Humm TwEECer tell me what that is or do you have a link to that product...that migth change my mind... need some thing good my boost retard is not fast enogh:shrug but that Crane box is good:thumbup

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
I have everything MSD including wire looms.

Distributor (8582)
6AL
Blaster II
8.5 customs

I love them

I had a jacobs on my ranger and it did boost performance. My top speed went from 67-75

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have been looking at an MSD box and coil, and i was wondering, it should give me better combustion correct? because the fuel would be burned more completly. I dont know alot about this stuff so thats just what i figured.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts