Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Do you carry a Maglite or fire extinguisher?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Pretty sure there is already a thread on this somewhere but ill play.

I live up in the forest so there are a few things that never come out of the Bronco.

Bible
Mag Lite
fire extinguisher.
Chain saw
Axe
Strap/chain
TP

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
No radio, no nothing in the inside. Also use a GPS for a speedo. Someday a light and fire extinguisher would nice...............

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
A lot of the lands I off road on require you to have one. I have never been checked for one but I have it.

I keep

Tow straps
shackles
first aid kit
flash light
fire extinguisher
basic tools
u joints
some fluids (power steering, oil, and gear oil)
rags
hi lift jack
cell phone
snacks
TP

I am probably missing stuff but that is what I can remember.:whiteflag

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
I always carry a jug of windshield washer fluid (it can always hold a goallon of gas or water if the need arises)
pen or pencil and paper
jumper cables
flashlight
a bag of hand tools
napkins in every place I can stuff them
(since I have wife and two daughters) girly products
tylenol
fire extinguisher in some and not others

·
Mud God - R.I.P.
5,788 Posts
Beach truck

Mag Lite
fire extinguisher
Axe,shovel
Strap,chain
TP :thumbup
Complete tool box
water,oil,gas

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention I always carry a tow strap and jumper cables. I am going to start carrying more tools, and fluids. I lost a coolant hose yesterday on the way to work, and I had two Philips, but not flat blade. I had to use a bottle opener to tighten the hose clamp, lol. I usually don't carry much tools because I am in Orange County, I can break down anywhere and be a 2 minute walk from a gas station. lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maglites are crap. Look into "streamlight". I use these for work and they eat the crap out of mags. Now that I finally got a bronco I will be getting a rechargeable one to mount on the console.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Maglites are crap. Look into "streamlight". I use these for work and they eat the crap out of mags. Now that I finally got a bronco I will be getting a rechargeable one to mount on the console.
This thread is not about what flash light is better or not. Add your list of stuff to keep in it on topic or please dont post. Thank you

·
Registered
110 Posts
This thread is not about what flash light is better or not. Add your list of stuff to keep in it on topic or please dont post. Thank you
Sorry did not know some threads were not open to opinions. I guess I'll keep them to my self.

I have not set my rig up for off road trips yet, so I just carry some very basic things.

Small tool kit
Jumper cables
Cell phone charger
Flashlight

·
Registered
290 Posts
Full tool box w/ Lug wrench
Flashlight
Pen
Jumpers
Chain
Rope
Strap
Rags
Bungees
Fluids
Jack
Knife (s)
And WD40 in the cupholder :toothless

·
ZBEAST
593 Posts
mini mag super leatherman &6" adjustable wrench in the door, 3cell mag in the console,fire ex., jumper cables, 2 shovels, fold up 4way cause you wouldn't believe how many people don't have a lug wrench,tool bag with all the goodies,chem lites,and a couple of hoodies for when the top is down and it gets chilly at night, and a tow strap and a haynes manual in the console. always in the bko and probably some other stuff too:haha

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
In the Bronco, I haven't gotten it completely outfitted yet. I will have a mounted Fire Extinguisher in there and will also have a mag light mounted close by. In my Ram I keep a Mag Lite in the side door pocket, a couple of 5lb extinguishers in the compartments behind the rear seats, and behind the rear seats: Power source battery jumper, various bungy cords, nylon lines, a couple of shackles, oversized umbrella, sometimes a foldout chair, blanket and whatever else I get that I think I might need in the future.

Once I get the more important issues worked out with the Bronco, I'll pretty much do the same for it.

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
Kennedy cantilever tool box
tiny butane torch
tow chain
10lb fire extinguisher (those little ones they sell are worthless, unless you're trying to put out an ashtray)
axe
handsaw
shovel
jumper cables
wool blanket
12'x10' cheap blue tarp rolled up with a few bungie cords
small coil of nylon rope (I think it's 100'~those cheapies you see at HF)
Ka-bar
T.P. (never leave home without it)
jacket (no matter what the weather looks like)

If I'm headed way out I'll throw in the little 009 Stihl chainsaw, some mix gas, and some bar oil

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Duct tape
jb weld
Mag Lite (led)
Batteries for mag light
Bag of various std and metric wrenches
socket set
jumper cables
fixed blade knife (ka-bar)
OBD II Scanner
Cheap Craftsmen multimeter
tarp
couple quarts of oil
gallon of antifreeze
Few tow straps and some shackles
spare starter solenoid
spare vss/rear abs
spare alternator
bag of fuses
emergency bag with some clothes, food, and supplies
48" high lift jack
folding shovel
some 550 paracord

If a hurricane is coming through, I'll carry my chainsaw around until it passes.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i usually keep my maglight in a mount on the b-pillar. but i have seemed to lost it, going to have to get another one. don't have a extinguisher, but i really should get one. besides that, some tow straps and a folding camp shovel stays in the truck with a couple of screw drivers and some pliers. i am thinking about getting a spare front and rear u-joint and hammer to keep in the truck too though.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,409 Posts
Fire extinguisher
Flashlight (Brand to remain un-named :toothless)
Trail tool box with basic tools, small spare parts, tire plug kit, multimeter, 25' test leads, butane soldering iron.
Tow strap
Jumper cables
Hi lift or aluminum floor jack. I'm back & forth as to which to carry.
Wood blocks
1 axle stand
2 spare tires
spare driveshafts
spare hub
CO2
Water (Drinking water & water for the truck) & other fluids
Mummy bag
Chrome tape
Mule tape
D handle shovel
Moving blanket. Multi-purpose. It covers gear in the back, gets thrown on the ground to crawl under the truck, over a winch cable, under a sleeping bag.
Rags & handcleaner
1st aid kit

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Good night U all carry alot of stuff !!! i only load the rig down on a road trip. 5 mile road trip I carry nothing..............

Guess it how I roll, weight is a HUGE issue with me and never had a car catch fire yet...................LOL

Heck, don't even carry a spare tire ???

Over 25 miles its a top box, C02 tank, tire plug kit, cordless snapon impact gun, hose ends, clamps anlst goes on !!! LOL

Keep it simple is how I roll and over KILL is how the build rolls.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,409 Posts
:D Well, I guess it's part of that self sufficient mindset left over from all that backpacking in my younger days. I'm doing my best to get myself out without adding burden to those around me.

I don't carry everything all the time either. That's my list for a trip. 2nd spare, driveshafts, & some other stuff comes & goes depending on the trip. But the Bronco doesn't currently see DD duty, so it sorta stays ready as my "earthquake survival kit". :toothless

The extinguisher is always there. I've never used one on my own stuff, but have put out a couple of car fires over the years. If you can get to it fast, sometimes you can save it. If you wait too long, there's no way with a portable extinguisher. I want to have one early if needed.

And I've never had a flat offroad, but have heard the locopny story. My truck has both the interior & exterior carriers, so 2 spares are easy. Around town I just carry one.

I like Dustin's list from this thread: REQUIRED TRAIL EQUIPMENT (az guys listen up) & use it as the basis for what I carry.
Mainly Im doing this for the AZ guys but this is a good list for anyone. This stuff is going to be REQUIRED for any run that I lead from this day forward. I cant tell you how frustrating and annoying when you cant even hook up to a rig pull it out of a tough spot. Of course not everyone is going to have every single thing on this list but there is no excuse not to have tools,straps, spares etc. If you dont there is no reason to be on the trail in the middle of the desert unprepared.

REQUIRED:
Drinking Water
Food
Fullsize spare tire that FITS your rig
Hi-Lift Jack
Bottle Jack
Shovel
Tow straps
recovery points(hooks, shackles, D-rings etc)
Winching kit (if you have a winch)
First Aid Kit
fire extinguisher
CB radio
Jumper cables
Well equipped tool kit(and anything specific to your rig)
Spindle nut socket

Spare Parts:
Fuses, electrical connectors, electrical tape, 2 spare sparkplugs, spare plug wire, spare relay for air locker, spare airlocker solenoids and airline.
Spare belts and hoses
Extra fluids, oil , transmission fluid, gear oil
Spare hub, wheel bearings, seals and spindle.
Front and rear driveshafts
Assortment of hardware, nuts, bolts, brass fittings
Teflon tape, blue silicon sealer, locktite, JB Weld,
Tire plug kit
Duct Tape
Zipties/bailing wire
Anything thats specific or custom on your rig

Optional but good idea:
GPS
Photo gear
Waterless hand cleaner
Shop towels
Blankets

Feel post up what Ive missed and Ill add it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts