Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not myself, but its a good question because i do drive my f250 regularly on the street. Its not only my bogger, its my recovery rig, its my show truck, and its my maybe not-so-often daily driver. I do drive it to work, to the store, to car shows (up to 50 miles away) this truck serves many many purposes.

Situation here is, I'm looking for a 40"+ tire that'll last me awhile. I don't expect it to be quiet, I don't expect it to have a great ride quality, and I sure as hell don't expect it to be cheap. But I need something that I'm sure will last awhile, and pull me through thick shit clay mud (south jersey is notorious for it)

I've been really up in the air about a lot of different tires recently, and I figured I'd decide on my own. But since I'm such an indecisive person, anyone with 40s or larger i would like to get an opinion from. I've also got 16" rims, 16.5"s, and will purchase 17's if need be.

Again, I'm just looking to see what'll last awhile, and keep this heavy tank from gettin stuck. Tires I've considered:
40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs
39.5x13.50x16.5 IROK Radial
41.5X1350x16.5 Pitbull Rocker (RADIAL)
Or Any Gumbo's 40"+ (if they can be sourced)

I'm sorry I will not consider KM2s, MTRs, MT baja belteds (have them now), or Fun Country bias belted, Nylon or Kevlar. The Lug voids on these are not aggressive enough not to get slicked up in clay. I will also not consider any BIAS tire from the TSL line. I can't afford to replace tires every 10-12k miles, especially on this 8000lb truck. I can tuck 44's on the 250, though I'd like to stay 39.5-42" if possible. I did debate on the new MTR's, and just grab a siper and cut the outside lug off totally where the stepped shoulder is (every other lug set, would have the 3rd lug cut off, leaving a 5"-6" or so void) but the thought of cutting up $1600 tires makes me cringe.

any help is greatly appreciated fellas. If there is a tire i didn't mention, please feel free to add it.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with bias Iroks. They are a belted bias construction with two steel belts, so they are not as harsh as a true bias tire. They do wear faster. My rig weighs 6,000lbs.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
I will also not consider any BIAS tire from the TSL line. I can't afford to replace tires every 15k miles, especially on this 8000lb truck.
Have you considered TSL radials?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Of course, with Denman going tits up, getting anything marketed under Interco "Super Swamper" or "Pit-Bull" brands will be very difficult until someone starts manufacturing them again.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had pretty good luck with bias Iroks. They are a belted bias construction with two steel belts, so they are not as harsh as a true bias tire. They do wear faster. My rig weighs 6,000lbs.
Yea i heard the road just eats up iroks though. I don't often hear anyone getting over 15k on iroks, let alone 20 or 25k. I think 25k miles would be perfect for a set of rubber. I don't expect a lot of mileage, but I'd like greater than 20k. I heard they pull nice through mud and snow tho, so I've felt pretty good about going with the radials.

The largest tsl-r is a 38 or a 38.5, I'd really like to keep it at 40" though I'd settle for 39.5 in the rockers....

Of course, with Denman going tits up, getting anything marketed under Interco "Super Swamper" or "Pit-Bull" brands will be very difficult until someone starts manufacturing them again.
Woh woh woh woh. wait what? Interco isn't producing tires still????

and how do your TSL-R's pull through muck? Have you had them in deep mud?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Woh woh woh woh. wait what? Interco isn't producing tires still????
That's what I understand

and how do your TSL-R's pull through muck?
They pull great through the mall parking lot!:thumbup

:histerica
Seriously, TSL radials should perform almost as good as there bias-ply brothers in mud. The only difference is the carcass is slightly square-er than the bias, and of course they don't flex like a bias.

Have you had them in deep mud?
I had them on dirt once. :toothless

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
They don't make a Pitbull Rocker Radial in a 39.5 but will be coming out with a 41.5

Stolen form Pirate:

" Perhaps new Interco news....

So maybe this is old news to some but it was new to me so I just thought I'd pass on what was news I acquired this afternoon....

4WheelParts Truck Fest is making its nation wide tour and they have an Interco both and rep touring as usual. It's possible that some of you may have even spoken with the same guy and got the same answers but here's the jist of our converstaion and I wanted to share. Im gonna quote the hole convo, and it was 5-10 minutes...sooo...typed out...kinda long post.

Once I spotted the Interco booth I imediatly focused my attention and headed that direction. The interco booth was one of the main reasons I went afterall. They guy was free so I started with a simple question....

Me- "Whats the deal with the bigger rubber? I need some straight facts. I know about Denman and the issues relating, but can you give me a soild answer as to when tires will be coming back?"
Him- "What tire are you looking at?"
Me- "Orginally the 40" LTB, but as of late the 42" Irok."
Him- "All Iroks are still available. They are made in the United States and not a Denman assosiated tire."
Me- "Really?
Him- "Yea, we are a little behind with them, but you should have no problems in getting them in under a month. The 40" LTB will be several, several more months though."
Me-"Well thats great news! But why did 4Wheelparts themselves tell me I couldn't get Iroks about a month ago?"
Him-"Because you couldn't. We were out of 16, 16.5, and 17 wheel sizes and several smaller tires as well for about 2 months. This was during the final negotiations of the new takeover company and we put a hault on US production in hopes to transfer the entire line. But 3 molds stayed in the US and are available again now. What was your wheel size?
Me- "16, but not officially decided yet."
Him- (He flips threw this little print out booklet) "Yeah we have 22 available nation wide for a 16."
Me- " Well thats fantastic news! Thanks! Is there anything else you can tell me as to whats going on with other tread patterns?"
Him-"Well not 100% factually, Im just a rep.....But I usally get accurate reports. I can tell you its looking like Super Swamper will come from China now. We had 4 options for new production and last I had heard it was between Mexico and China, and China had won the bid. I know they where making the SX, LTB and TSL in part already, so it wouldn't suprise me to hear if we went with them for the entire line. China also has a quite large off road community and Interco had offered to make its full line available to them, which is obviously....better for buisness. So Im not absolutly sure, but fairly certain China has taken over and has already begun producing tires."
Me-"Hmmm..intresting. Well, that kinda sucks but at least you are on the rebound."
Him- "Oh yea, Super Swamper will never go away. We just have bumps like any other company to get by."
Me- "Oh I understand, thats how life is for everyone. Just unfortunate for the diehards and others to have to wait for there favorite tire or desired tire for soo long."
Him-" Yea it is unfortunate but... I am to understand all types and sizes should be available again within 24 months."
Me-"Damn thats a bit!"
Him-"Yeah but you have to remember with all the tires and sizes we offer, we make litterally a 1,000 diffrent tires."
Me- "True. And I guess considering that 24 months is really not that bad."
Him- Yea, its not bad at all."
(awkward 10 second pause)
Me-"So the Irok is made in the US huh... and what were the other 2? Why didn't Interco just have the rest of the line made next to the Iroks?"
Him- Because the company making Iroks also has our Bogger and Thornbird molds and thats all that company can handle. Its been that way for years. I dont get the production prices but Im sure if the company could handle all our molds, we would have gone with them."
Me-"Gotcha. So Boggers and Thornbirds are also available?"
Him- Yes. All Iroks, bias and Radial, all Boggers and all Thornbirds are all made in the United States and are or will shortly be available. "
Me-"Well the Birds and the Boggers are useless to me..."
He interupts and laughs- "And most other people.."
I laugh-" But that's good to know about the Iroks."
Him-" Yea, yea...still around. Get your 42's."
Me- "I probably will! Thanks for your help man!"
Him-"No problem. Glad I could help!"

SOOOO....

Maybe old or new to some, but directly from his mouth....
ALL IROKS are available. And I concur. 4wheelParts has (13) 42" roks for 16's, available as of yesterday at about 3 and they are expecting shipments regularly according to the sales guy. I didn't buy, but it seems no hurry to.

Just thought Id share... "

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,593 Posts
I ran my TSL radials in the mud in south Louisiana on my first bronco. They always pulled like a champ and didnt wear too quickly either. But personally I am gonna go over to the TSL SX for my next set on my new bronco since I am in a sandier place and need more flotation and also since I know that I wont have to worry about tearing up sidewalls when I go home.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i have driven my bronco pretty regularly over the last 3 years since i put on TSL bias plys, including a 2500 mi round trip journey to mexico and back like a month after i got them. they have quite a few miles on them, i'd say close to 15k by now and are just nearing the swamper standard 50% tread wear bars (which i will groove thru and run them for at least another 18 months). the only limits i have found to them in mud is 1) my weak stock motor and 2) they can dig and dig and dig no matter what, so if there is a bottomless pit, they will try to find the bottom (all good mud tires do this from what i've noticed).

go with 17s, less sidewall squirm yet they still have a safety bead which is essential to airing down a heavy truck.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is the first i'm hearing about this whole interco/denman situation. I'm glad atleast for the time being iroks and boggers are still being produced. I really would go with tsl-r's but they're only 38's like i said. They wouldn't fit my wheel wells correctly. I'd rather run tires that rub, then tires that look too small.

Anyone know how much a decent groover/sipe gun would cost? I think I really might just grab a set of mtr's and cut off the stepped shoulder lug. Anyone know how rockers or iroks take the mud? I can see Iroks pulling through nice, but with a total of like 6 large outside lugs on each side of rocker, that kinda scares me a bit. Although i hear a lot of success in almost all terrains with them, i'm still a bit hesitant.

Or again, I'm open to any input.

·
Registered
664 Posts
A buddy of mine had these on his k5. I don't recall him ever getting stuck in deep mud, and I am positive he got 60+ miles out of them. He rotated them every 3K on the dot. Will this be the same case for you if you get them, :shrug, but if you took care of them with the right air pressure and rotation it very well could. :beer

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you, you've been nothing but helpful. Much appreciated.

A buddy of mine had these on his k5. I don't recall him ever getting stuck in deep mud, and I am positive he got 60+ miles out of them. He rotated them every 3K on the dot. Will this be the same case for you if you get them, :shrug, but if you took care of them with the right air pressure and rotation it very well could. :beer
Yea I mean to be honest, I had a buddy with a k20 silverado on 38" tsl-r's and he pulled out my bronco one night before i had the 250. and the mud was like a mix between mash potatoes and baby shit, and had to have been atleast 1.5 feet deep and didn't seem like he had much of a problem. I just never personally had any experience with them. and they don't have prominent shoulder/sidewall lugs like regular tsl's, kinda deters me a bit. Plus I really want 40" or larger. I may just go with the tsl-r's. I'm gonna be upset with 38's tho. I hate downsizing.

Anyone use groundhawgs? I heard they're about as round as a stop sign in the morning, but last incredible amounts of miles. or maybe cut mtr's is the way to go. I'm just worried that if i cut the 3rd lug off (the stepped shoulder lug) its gonna make them sound like a jet airplane taking off. Maybe its worth a try. I just don't wanna make a mistake with tires that are over $1500

·
Premium Member
1996 FSB
551 Posts
I have ran 4 or 5 sets of Hawgs. I love them. They last forever. I got about 60K from them. Had them on my F150,bronco, wifes ramcharger. My 35s dryrotted before I wore them out and I sold my 40s before I wore them out. I see them around town on a F150 ex cab and still have a lot left on them.(sold them 4 years ago) I never got stuck with them. I played in clay and sand.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have ran 4 or 5 sets of Hawgs. I love them. They last forever. I got about 60K from them. Had them on my F150,bronco, wifes ramcharger. My 35s dryrotted before I wore them out and I sold my 40s before I wore them out. I see them around town on a F150 ex cab and still have a lot left on them.(sold them 4 years ago) I never got stuck with them. I played in clay and sand.
^^^ exactly the kinda things I wanted to hear...

and honestly, how would you rate them vs the rockers your running right now?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ttt

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Considered Nitto Mud Grapplers?

They're a bit heavy, but they've lasted me a long ass time.
I heard they arent too bad in mud, but are mostly for street queens and dont self clean all that well in poopy clay mud. They do however, have wide lug voids and I did takethem into consideration until I saw the price at like $2000 for a set of 4. I mean I'm willin to spend the cash, but not on a tire that won't stand up to everything i can throw at it.

Have you had them in any clay?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I heard they arent too bad in mud, but are mostly for street queens and dont self clean all that well in poopy clay mud. They do however, have wide lug voids and I did takethem into consideration until I saw the price at like $2000 for a set of 4. I mean I'm willin to spend the cash, but not on a tire that won't stand up to everything i can throw at it.

Have you had them in any clay?
considering they dont have any teeth they are definately for street queens. the guy with the superhcarged h2 and shitty lift has some, hes a poser.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
considering they dont have any teeth they are definately for street queens. the guy with the superhcarged h2 and shitty lift has some, hes a poser.
This supercharged h2 you happen to be talking about, its not orange is it?? B/c there is a orange supercharged h2 with mud grapplers around my way that has a shit lift on it.

The more and more I research it, I'm starting to like the plus size rockers. at 44" they are supposed to be decent as far as road noise and wear, and from what I understand pulls through mud decently well. Its comparable to a "plus size all terrain" said a 4x4 mag I picked up. Anyone have rockers in thick slop mud?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts