Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to everyone's definition of a small town/school. No particular reason...It seems lots of people are from "small" towns. Sometimes weird crap is on my mind:doh0715:

My town was/is bout 600 people. One school K-12 one building 268 total students. I was one of 16 in my class. We had TWO foreign exchange students in my class.

How bout the rest of y'all?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
I didn't come from a small town (I was a Navy brat, born on a Naval Air Station), but when I went to high school from September '79 to June '83, we lived in a small town, surrounded by other very small towns, on the Kitsap Peninsula in Western Washington, and back then, the towns all had their small-town attitudes. Over the last 3 1/2 decades since I graduated, the towns have all grown considerably, between the Navy and people working in Seattle across Puget Sound but living in Kitsap County.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I consider where I live to be small, but I wouldn't call it a small "town". Small city I guess (50k people maybe).

The towns around this one I would call small towns as they're more like you described with populations ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand. We even have one near where I went to grade school for a while where after something like 4th or 5th grade they bused the kids over to our school as they didn't have a middle school or high school. Funny stuff. The city I live in has grown a lot in the last 20 or so years though. I think it had a few elementary schools, two junior highs and one high school when I was a teenager and now I have no idea how many school there are, but they made a second high school like 6 or 7 years ago and have built at least 3-4 elementary schools in the last couple of years.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I grew up in a small community with two churches and two stores. My K-12 school had 150 students in it and by the 5th grade we were riding our dirt bikes to school. I even took my 870 wingmaster to school on the bus and no one batted an eye. (in the early 80's). Most of us carried Buck 110 folders and no one ever got shot or cut.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We currently live in a community with a population of 666 as of the last census report. But since then several people have died. We have no industry except small cattle ranches which employee very few. There is a community store, auto parts store, tire shop, hotel with café, and the Young Public School with 38 students. Last year‘s graduating class consisted of four students. The school is the largest employer of the community with 32 employees. Most of the people living here are retired.

·
Foolsize Member
1,521 Posts
I live in a town that has a population of between 1500-2000 people, my graduating class was just over 150 IIRC. The only stoplights in the whole county are the two in front of the courthouse:thumbup

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
grew up on a small town (Taberg NY 5k-6k), where the family farm is, even tho I lived in the nearby small city of Rome (35k) and now in a suburb of Syracuse NY 250+K :( But ("I Hold On" Dierks Bentley) small town hart

·
Registered
895 Posts
Small town of Interlachen Florida. Graduating class of 112... I knew everyone I graduated with. Kind of sucks that now I'm razing two city kids.... but you have to live where the money is if you want to earn a decent living.... at least that is what I keep telling myself.

·
Super Moderator
23,174 Posts
Yo,
When in NJ, our small town has a Pre-K through 8th grade school that was dwindling down to ~200 students in late 90s, but now have 404 students with student–teacher ratio of 10.0:1.

The New Jersey Interdistrict School Choice program provides the opportunity for
non-resident students to attend our school at no cost to their parents/guardians.
This program also includes transportation options for School Choice students.
We were of the first 10 districts statewide to participate in the program. Seats in the program for non-resident students are specified by the district and are allocated by lottery, with tuition paid for participating students by the New Jersey Department of Education.

In last Census, the borough's population was 1,885, reflecting a decline of 87 (-4.4%) from the 1,972 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 209 (-9.6%) from the 2,181 counted in the 1990 Census.

Our town is included within the New Jersey Pinelands National Reserve, a protected natural area covering 1,100,000 acres, that has been classified as a United States Biosphere Reserve and established by Congress in 1978 as the nation's first National Reserve.

Our children loved the area for swimming and fishing within footsteps of a string of fresh water lakes and beaches. State stocks the lakes with trout, so it was good there!

·
Addicted to Junk
10,200 Posts
Born, raised, and still living outside of a town of 500-700, Hoyt, KS. We are about 20 minutes north of Topeka, which is about 120k. We're about 75 minutes from the Kansas City metro. I live on 80 acres, 70 of which is a Prairie Woodland so thick a rabbit couldn't run through it. The other is native grassland containing multiple grasses, flowers, and scrub.

We have a full service gas station, a school, a pizza place, a funeral home and now a dollar general. The DG came in and the local grocery closed down. We've got a feed store, a welding shop, and not a single stop light.

Our one policeman is just a county sheriff.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Small town of Interlachen Florida. Graduating class of 112... I knew everyone I graduated with. Kind of sucks that now I'm razing two city kids.... but you have to live where the money is if you want to earn a decent living.... at least that is what I keep telling myself.
I hear ya! I keep telling myself the same thing with both my kids living in a Cul-de-sac development.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I grew up in a small community with two churches and two stores. My K-12 school had 150 students in it and by the 5th grade we were riding our dirt bikes to school. I even took my 870 wingmaster to school on the bus and no one batted an eye. (in the early 80's). Most of us carried Buck 110 folders and no one ever got shot or cut.
Sounds like my school. One of my senior pictures had my best buck and my slug gun in it. Now days, I would be arrested!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even though we are from all over the country... It sounds like we are all the same kind of folks! Good hearted, hard working, red blooded Americans!

Side note-I was not disrespecting anyone not raised or living in a small town! Sometimes my mind just wanders and I am curious.

·
Eric
2,437 Posts
I live in a metropolitan area/city with about 5.1 million people. Everything feels very close and driving in traffic makes you want to run people into a concrete median really ruffles your feathers. I have 3 Wal-Mart Supercenters, 4 grocery stores, a Cabela's, a hockey arena, a football stadium, an entertainment district, 2 industrial areas, 7 gas stations, a strip club, umpteen restaurants, a 1/2 square-mile public park with a fishing pond, 2 high schools, 2 grade schools, 2 AutoZone's, 2 O'Reilly's, 1 NAPA, 3 shopping centers, and one left-over dairy/corn farm from this area's not-so-distant past within 3 miles of my house.

Too much is not better and my favorite part of the day is driving by that dairy/corn farm going to and from work. The smell, in 113* summer heat, doesn't even bother me one bit because it hasn't changed in 40 years. That makes me happy.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Even though we are from all over the country... It sounds like we are all the same kind of folks! Good hearted, hard working, red blooded Americans!

Side note-I was not disrespecting anyone not raised or living in a small town! Sometimes my mind just wanders and I am curious.
As I've gotten older I've apparently lived in smaller and smaller communities. I grew up in a suburb of Seattle as a young kid, then my family moved out to bfe Idaho, so it was quite a change. I lived a couple of blocks from where Nintendo of America's headquarters is and would ride my bike down there to look at the Mario shaped flowers as a kid. I went from doing that to watching a dude in his swather come and cut our 5 acre field behind our house in Idaho. My mom let us go to school late so we could watch him do it. lmao. "Wth is he doing?!" Then weeks later came the baler. lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was from a "village" it was really just a crossroads. 8 miles to the nearest stoplight. Lived in one area and the mailing address has us in a town a few miles over.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts