Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
1500 people on the Mississippi in communist Illinois. 110 graduates in my class from 5 communities. 40 percent of the males became suddenly ill for week when deer season opened. Oh, and rusty Chevrolet pick ups out numbered Pontiacs.
HAHAHA in my area opening day school was just cancelled. They knew no one was coming in. Teachers included. :histerica

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,849 Posts
My Uncle Marsh now lives in Hayden (insert white supremacist d!¢khead joke here), but he and my late Aunt Vicky had a condo just north of downtown CdA, right off US95. And, when his and Dad's grandparents lived in the same area as Twin Falls (Buhl, actually), they had a turn-of-the-century farm that they ended up losing around 1915 or 1916, because the president of the local bank in Buhl cleaned out the safe of all cash and headed to South America.

DING! DING! DING! I think we have a winner!

As my dear old grandma used to say " $hit don't get no smaller than that"

:goodfinge

·
Registered
933 Posts
HAHAHA in my area opening day school was just cancelled. They knew no one was coming in. Teachers included. :histerica
I wish they'd do that with the Fair over here. Every damn year. The county fair starts the week after school does and kids ditch school, every year (as did I 20 years ago), to go to the fair. The surrounding, smaller counties, do it right and have their Fair a week or two before school starts. It's like they wanna eff every juan's tendon's record on porpoise.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This girl. Born in Montreal, raised in South Jersey, Wildwood, just about the southernmost tip of the state... 45 minutes south of Atlantic city...Around 4000ish people... In the off season. During the 18 prime weeks of summer however the population exploded to probably over 40000 because of the tourists. Life growing up in a beach resort town :thumbup my parents use to own an arcade on the boardwalk and after that had various games of chance, so pretty much raised by carnies :histerica i was one of their best shills :rofl: after a while my dad opened a few Beach stores (u know tee shirts sundrys shit like that) so i got off the boardwalk and ran one of his Beach stores...if I wasn't working, i was surfing. Growing up a beach and boardwalk brat was a great childhood :thumbup ...there were 4 schools, public grade and highschool, and Catholic grade and highschool. I graduated the Catholic hs in 88 with around a hundred in my graduating class. So...a few years after that i left Jersey and lived in several small towns thru Pa mostly in Schuylkill county (nothing but small towns, bars, and churches :histerica ) eventually landing around Erie PA. The biggest little city in PA :histerica i live in the county now. My little boro has maybe 2200 families... 1 grade school 1 highschool my oldest boys graduating class was maybe 90 (12 of which went into various branches of the military :thumbup ) so, still small town, still near the water... Next move will be another small town somewhere in Alaska, still near the water for retirement
So... Yeah... :grin2:

·
Registered
104 Posts
This girl. Born in Montreal, raised in South Jersey, Wildwood, just about the southernmost tip of the state... 45 minutes south of Atlantic city...Around 4000ish people... In the off season. During the 18 prime weeks of summer however the population exploded to probably over 40000 because of the tourists. Life growing up in a beach resort town :thumbup my parents use to own an arcade on the boardwalk and after that had various games of chance, so pretty much raised by carnies :histerica i was one of their best shills :rofl: after a while my dad opened a few Beach stores (u know tee shirts sundrys shit like that) so i got off the boardwalk and ran one of his Beach stores...if I wasn't working, i was surfing. Growing up a beach and boardwalk brat was a great childhood :thumbup ...there were 4 schools, public grade and highschool, and Catholic grade and highschool. I graduated the Catholic hs in 88 with around a hundred in my graduating class. So...a few years after that i left Jersey and lived in several small towns thru Pa mostly in Schuylkill county (nothing but small towns, bars, and churches :histerica ) eventually landing around Erie PA. The biggest little city in PA :histerica i live in the county now. My little boro has maybe 2200 families... 1 grade school 1 highschool my oldest boys graduating class was maybe 90 (12 of which went into various branches of the military :thumbup ) so, still small town, still near the water... Next move will be another small town somewhere in Alaska, still near the water for retirement

So... Yeah... :grin2:

I would think AK is an expensive place to retire to Mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
In the south... you have to have more single wide trailers (mobile homes)... than actual houses to be considered a small town. Once the number of houses surpasses the number of trailers (mobile homes) you are in the city.

Just in case you guys from up North don't know what I'm referring to. Uncut grass and window AC unit optional

that's one of the nicer ones too

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hell, our cities look like that! Really! Well not the whole thing, but some of it. Absolutely common to see one getting pulled by a tractor. We had a guy buy a lot where the house burned and he wanted the garage. He drove his tractor inside through the g door, trussed up the walls, welded up some angle inside, jacked it up, bolted it to his tractor and drove it to his farm looking through the back window of the garage. When I was young any body who had a double wide was considered middleclass and a stick built home was the upper class. We have villages and townships. I grew up 10 miles from a village that had 960 people. Class of 69 students approx. 300 total in a k-12. Now there's 1100 people, 1 stop light, the school is split to k-8 and 9-12, about 250 students, a Mcy D's " dollar G, family dollar, three gas stations, a grocery store and more places to eat and drink than an average person could visit in a month. Summers here the pop. goes up into the 20K range. Every where I go, even Disney world I will run into someone that says "You must be from Wisconsin!" I got a Brother, cousin whatever that has a cabin 5 or 6 miles from there. It's starting to feel a little too big for me now. That's why I go to the UP every weekend. By the way. Wisconsin deer season just happens to coincide with Thanksgiving so the school is shut down for that week. It would have been empty anyway when I was young, but not so much anymore.
P.S. there weren't many around so when you saw a window AC unit sticking out a window you knew the people had money.
Swamp

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would think AK is an expensive place to retire to Mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey @Gunny4Sawx It's actually pretty on par with where we're at now in Northwest PA except for housing, ( https://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/alaska/kenai ) but our plan is to buy a couple hundred acres and open a veterans retirement ranch (lots of grant money to be had there) then on the front of the property have a bud n breakfast with like 600sqft pods along the water for tourists who want a more rugged experience. U can get 1200-1500 a weekend air BnB'ing those out. Then once u add the hunting, kayaking dog sledding and other outdoor adventures it'll be a good income generator. So it'll be a non conventional retirement... And the state pays you to live there (anywhere between 5-12k per year). So I think it'll all work out ok.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Broncmom, that would be right up my alley! I haven't seen any land near anything that was affordable for me and since I'm not a resident I can't get in on the Fed and state lands sales. Most of those fed and state lands are waaaaay back in the pickers and only a few are available to out of staters when nobody bids on them. I haven't got real serious about it, but I looked into it a couple of years ago.
Swamp

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maquon IL!

Where men are men and sheep are scared........

That's my mailing address.

I actually live outside of a town (Rapatee) that used to have three houses on one side of the hard road (feel free to admit that U call that ther hiway the same thing) and maybe 10 on the other. I say used to because one of the 3 blew up back in June.

·
Registered
895 Posts
We forgot one of the easiest ways to tell if you are truly from a small town. If your mailing address starts off.... Route 2 Box 616..... You live in the sticks!!

Or according to the internet just try and find a Starbucks and order a Latte...

Want to know if you're in the city or the country? According to America's Secret Slang, all you have to do is try and get a cup of coffee. "When we map the nation's coffee shops, it reveals that our coffee shop density corresponds to the map of the largest cities," says the show's host, Zach Selwyn. "The farther you travel from a city center, the harder it is to get some coffee or a latte — a sure sign that you're headed into the countryside."

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,501 Posts
We forgot one of the easiest ways to tell if you are truly from a small town. If your mailing address starts off.... Route 2 Box 616..... You live in the sticks!!"
Used to be that way here...but then the USPS went and got all proper with Street addresses in the country. The "good ole days"..
I just have a PO Box #.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hey I'm all about taking advantage of the new laws on recreational mj... It's a HUGE money maker. I have a friend in Oklahoma who just opened a medical grow facility, his first season growing and sold EVERYTHING before it was even off the plant. Over 200lbs and that's not even including the extraction room profits for thc oils. He's now in a competition being offered by hightimes for a 30k grant to expand his business. It's the next gold Rush.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Broncmom, that would be right up my alley! I haven't seen any land near anything that was affordable for me and since I'm not a resident I can't get in on the Fed and state lands sales. Most of those fed and state lands are waaaaay back in the pickers and only a few are available to out of staters when nobody bids on them. I haven't got real serious about it, but I looked into it a couple of years ago.
Swamp
Hey @Swamp do you live in Alaska? I've mostly just been looking for land on realtor.com and have found some great deals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
We forgot one of the easiest ways to tell if you are truly from a small town. If your mailing address starts off.... Route 2 Box 616..... You live in the sticks!!

Want to know if you're in the city or the country? According to America's Secret Slang, all you have to do is try and get a cup of coffee. "When we map the nation's coffee shops, it reveals that our coffee shop density corresponds to the map of the largest cities," says the show's host, Zach Selwyn. "The farther you travel from a city center, the harder it is to get some coffee or a latte — a sure sign that you're headed into the countryside."
Our address began with Rural Route 2...LOL :histerica

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm not sure if everyone appreciates just how lucky we are. If Dorian would have gone straight instead of turning North it would have destroyed the North Florida small town community. When one of these cat 5 monsters cuts across North Florida it will be Biblical.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,197 Posts

As a kid in the early 90s, it was our name and Rural Route 1. Now it's just Hoyt, Ks, po box 133.

Another way is road names. Jackson county starts at "A" rd on the western border. Every mile is another road, B, C, D etc. If there is a road in between its A2, A3, A4 etc, depending on how many roads are between A and B. Perpendicular roads are numbered, starting from the river in shawnee county to the south. The southern Jackson line is 94th. Its super simple to know where you're going.

Other things are fence posts with catfish heads hanging from em; Christmas light up all year; more dead vehicles than running in the yard; Brick paved mainstreets; little white churches; full-service service stations; dogs running free; coon dogs on top of their doghouses; pickup bed trailers

41 - 60 of 62 Posts