Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am getting 10 different answers from 11 different people. I have a 95 fsb xlt with a 4"lift. I have 4 shocks in the front. (2 on each side) (is this considered quad suspension). and 2 in the rear. I recently changed my balljoints and all my bushings in the fornt end and noticed my shocks are in bad shape. Soo looking to change them out all 6 to get a nice clean ride. So the question is which brand rancho, rough country ect. should I get. Also a model number would be nice if you know it so I can price shop.
All input is useful. Mainly a street rider but do a lot of towing (19ft. inclosed trailer):doh0715:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Alot of people lately have been reccomending Monroe shocks, not sure if its because they can be had local or if their really that good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just got 8 skyjackers from pepboys fairly cheap and they had them in stock , 4 front , 2 stabilizers , 2 rear . Like 3 bills total , made a big difference !
With boots

·
Registered
98 Posts
find a monotube shock and you should be ok. the twin tubes go bad real quick, at least on our trucks they do. I think people have been recommending Monroe's because of the lifetime warranties and the fact that local shops will replace the bad ones for free (at least O'Reillys does). Personally, I would go with Bilsteins, but some people dont like the firmer ride they give.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
When you are ready to buy try EShocks.com, if you buy anywhere online go to Retailmenot.com for coupon codes

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
retail me not is awesome, i run pro comps on my truck but i really want billsteins.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i just have the procomps that came with the lift kit.. i also have the quad shock setup and if your ever gonna jump your truck you'll crush the rear of the set... at full compression they get crushed between the shock tower and the coil. but! my shocks are still not blown after heavy off roading and dozens of times jumping it. the 2 crushed shocks i still use because they still work. just the body is squeezed in on either side. they still dampen the ride as they should and all that good stuff. not sure on the price they'd be but i cant imagine they'd cost too much.

if you were goin for a coilover or even coil and shock setup for a performance or long travel setup i'd say fox. stock replacement i'd say bilstein. lifted i'd say procomps or bilsteins or fox. im not a king fan cuz price.

as far as KYB shocks go i heard from a friend who pre runnered his truck that they blow right after you buy them but then if you have them rebuilt there damn near bullet proof. couldnt tell you why though...

·
Super Moderator
26,972 Posts
Yo,
Changed from OEM shocks to KYB Gas-a-just and they were much better than stock. Less harshness over road & bridge expansion joints/strips, RR tracks, etc.
However, they began to rust on the tubes due to road salt; contacted company and they said the rust is Not normal, but would not honor a return or offer an adjustment.
pic of the rust a year after install;

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
ive got bilsteins on my truck, and after putting those on i will never use another type of shock...they are awesome. if you just wana get a shock at a local parts store, then KYB's or Rancho is what i would reccommend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts