Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm talking about a 1993, 302, E40D, bone stock.

I just took the Bronco on it's first big trip since I've owned it, drove to an motocross track 150 miles each way. The trailer I'm pulling is about 1400lbs give or take with the two atvs on it. I was on I-84 in CT for those of you from around here, and it has some decent hills on that highway, and the Bronco was struggling pulling that trailer. Some hills I was topped out at 65mph, others I couldn't get over 55!!!! Yes it was shifting out of overdrive, I had the pedal to the floor and I was still getting passed by tractor trailers! Am I down on power or is this a common problem with the 302? I just did a full tune up on it, and its running well, even pulls pretty good with no load, but with that trailer it's just a dog.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have an 85 with an 302 in it and have experienced the same problem. I'm doing changes within the weekto my engine in order to remedy my lack of power.

·
Dead Horse
5,933 Posts
with my 302 i towed a dual axle 16 foot trailer, with a motorcycle and a golfcart (they weight more that you think) and it was loaded full of luggage, chairs, anything you could think of that you would want at the beach for 2 weeks, and the bronco loaded with luggage, kept it out of overdrive, and it did fine, with some power to spare. that was when my truck was completely stock. i wouldnt know about hills, we dont have those in sc :cry

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
i pulled a 14' fullcovered trailer with some appliances (2washers, 2dryers, fridge) i did ok- but i didnt get on it too much. itll bog down a bit goin up hills (it does without a load).
im doing an SAS and sterling axle swaps- then im going to some 38" tires- and re-gearing to 5.13s. so- towing is gonna be a fun experience.

BUT im also gonna do a high-flow exhaust, and a snorkel to get some ram air... itll open up the engine, let it breathe better...more power...

just search on here- youll get alot of good ideas for opening up your engine- so you dont bog so much...
hope that helps,
ace

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i just towed a fully loaded uhaul tailer w/about 4,000 lbs in tow inc trailer, my 93 bko 302 w/tow package, did 75-80 easilly on the mass pike, and 70 on i-91 in vt. and my 302 has over 170k miles on it

and vt doesnt have hills, they have moutians. she pulled fine, i was passin tractor trailer trucks.

guess it just depends on the condition of your engine.

Edit: i wasnt using od either. i kept it out of od the entire time sucks down more gas, but your tranny and wallet will thank you later

G

·
I just towed a 8x10 trailer with the Bronco to the dump. I'd guess it weighted about 4,000 lbs. It pulled alright on straight roads but when I was going up a hill at the dump it struggled pretty bad. I had to drop it down to D and just work my way up. Next time I'll probably stick it in 4wd before I go up and hope the extra traction helps.

·
Dead Horse
5,933 Posts
Ranger said:
I just towed a 8x10 trailer with the Bronco to the dump. I'd guess it weighted about 4,000 lbs. It pulled alright on straight roads but when I was going up a hill at the dump it struggled pretty bad. I had to drop it down to D and just work my way up. Next time I'll probably stick it in 4wd before I go up and hope the extra traction helps.
was is it over drive before? if so, it didnt change anything to drop it into drive, cause its the same thing as drive, until u hit 45-50, then overdrive kicks in, if its just in drive, overdrive wont come one a 45-50

ps. i thought u were going slow, cause here the hill at the dump is only 5mph

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
hmmm- i dont know if id put it in 4wd, with the extra weight in the rear, and the pavement on the tires- youll get some bad wear up front in the tires...
ace

·
Dead Horse
5,933 Posts
btw, a/c has something to do with it too, when i turn mine on, my truck gets real sluggish, and my mpg drop

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
i hate my a/c. its drains my voltage- and bogs my engine... i like rolling down all three windows... works good (but i would like to have a/c for those 115degree days here in texas)
ace

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I had ac off, no fan, just the windows cracked. No radio either, still have to wire mine up (didn't come with one, the guy I bought it from screwed me). I've been reading up on ideas for the engine, if I keep the bronco around I'll do the K&N filter and I'll probably have some custom 2.5' duals made once I find a decent set of shorty headers. I know from reading most of you guys are against duals but if a 2.5" exhaust is dyno proven to produce the most power for my N/A 4 cylinder then I think I'll go with 2 of those for the 8 cylinder. Hopefully that will wake it up some, it seems like it's struggling to breathe. I was just laughing on those uphills when she was topped out at 55, I couldn't believe it.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
the truck is heavy on its own man... bronco= dog on highway...
ace

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
jb77714 said:
with my 302 i towed a dual axle 16 foot trailer, with a motorcycle and a golfcart (they weight more that you think) and it was loaded full of luggage, chairs, anything you could think of that you would want at the beach for 2 weeks, and the bronco loaded with luggage, kept it out of overdrive, and it did fine, with some power to spare. that was when my truck was completely stock. i wouldnt know about hills, we dont have those in sc :cry
I-26? Doesnt take a large grade to slow a truck down hauling stuff.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts

·
Dead Horse
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I pull a 14' boat with the 302 and never had any issues, granted its not that heavy. I can hold 70mph in overdrive with no problems.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
This was right around 16k lbs combined weight-

The F-250 had a 302/C6 and 4.10's and it did reasonably well on flat ground and slight inclines, averaged 8 mpg if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
When towing with the 302 it is very important to have the proper gear ratio. And having the 5 speed gives you much more speed hp the hills than what the auto does. Having all that, the 302 is an excellent engine for towing. One place where the 302 shines, is in the upper RPM range. So why not use it to your advantage and don't be afraid to let the tach point at that 4000 line for extended periods of time. As long as you watch the temp gauge, your not going to hurt anything. When I tow with my F150 any hill over about 4% I need 3rd gear. But 3500 RPM's in 3rd gear is still like 50 MPH, and the truck will do that easilly with the pedel down maybe 20% of the way. Want to pass someone up that hill...?....just give her some gas and speed right up.
Thats where the 302 really wins over the 300 - if you want speed. The 300 might be able to pull that same hill in 4th gear, but its going to be lugging down doing it and still not able to pick up as much speed.

I tow this setup all the time through the mountains and I have no probem with the weight. GCWR here is about 13,000 pounds

1 - 20 of 39 Posts