Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I want to change mine because, strangely enough, my wife frowns upon my Bronco marking it's territory on the concrete driveway.
Anyway, I priced out a transmission jack and at $200.00, I decided to go to the local mechanics shop to see what they would charge me.
Once I heard 6.5 hours just in labor, a $200.00 transmission jack is starting to look like a sound investment.
So, if anyone is in Palm Beach County:
I have a full drive on lift, beer, tunes, and the garage has a big fan and air tools.
The only thing I am missing is talent...

·
Registered
262 Posts
You wanna bring it down to my shop?

Have a nice two stage transmission jack that worked wonders when i took out the ZF5/transfer case combo to do the rear main in my truck.

edit: just thought about it. Really needs to be cool to do the job... You wanna do the front main on the pump while you're there?

·
Registered
126 Posts
How much beer are we talking about?
Cooking anything on the grill?
Not sure about just having a fan... No air in the garage? Have to be a lot of beer.

J/K

Sounds like ya got a hell of a garage.

If you don't want to buy the jack, can't ya rent one?
Been some years, and I'm tired as hell. Doesn't the rear seal fit in the main bearing cap? Gotta pull the pan. Wouldn't it be easier to pull the engine?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I can do the crab boil if needed.
Crazy Asian, I was thinking the same thing about the truck needing to be cool to work on it.
The front main on the pump? I did not even think about that.
Would you suggest that I do that also?
I was thinking about fixing the "clunk" as long as I have the rear driveshaft out.
Dr Jekyl,
The AC in the garage is only on the third floor and it is not strong enough to push down to the first floor unless it is running wide open all day long with the garage door shut completely.
The fan moves enough air to keep things cool.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well if ya come down to my shop to help me load the tranny jack we can use mine. Its heavy!

When i usually do a rear main, i will pop new expansion plugs in if they are still original and usually a front seal on the transmission pump. Murphy's law usually applies here. So for the cost of two expansion plugs and a front pump seal (unless the trans has low mileage or was just rebuilt recently)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if ya come down to my shop to help me load the tranny jack we can use mine. Its heavy!

When i usually do a rear main, i will pop new expansion plugs in if they are still original and usually a front seal on the transmission pump. Murphy's law usually applies here. So for the cost of two expansion plugs and a front pump seal (unless the trans has low mileage or was just rebuilt recently)
I will submit to your superior knowledge on this one.
It sounds like you have some experience with this and I am old enough to know when to shut up and listen.
OK so.. I need to order
Rear main seal
Expansion plugs for the Transmission
Front seal for the transmission pump.
Transmission pan gasket
Transmission filter
Lots of tranny fluid.
Did I miss anything?

I bought this rig for $400.00 about a year ago.
I have no idea the history of the transmission at all except that it appears to be original equipment.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I change mine without a tranny jack. All I did was put a 2X4 across the truck for the front of the tranny to sit on. In my case, I was able to tie short pieces of rope around the 2X4 and the nerf bars. If you dont have nerf bars, you can support the 2X4 on two more 2X4's and slide the whole mess on them. I left the back bolted to the crossmember. Unbolted the crossmember at the frame. Then you just slide the tranny back far enough to work. A freind told me about this. I swear it is not as goofy as it sounds. I have since bought a tranny adapter for my floor jack from Harbor frieght. But I havent needed yet. I am assuming you have a E40D. If you have a AOD or C6, disreguard and just use a floor jact. They are not that heavy and can be managed a whole lot eazier.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry i loled there for a minute. Years ago i dropped a e4od while trying to change the flexplate on my 7.3 diesel on the ground... My foot still isnt the same. Maybe i'm spolied but i wont work on the ground anymore. I have a full shop, lifts, tools, etc. Anyway Bill there are freeze or expansion plugs on the back of the block between the engine and transmission. They're easy to hammer out and to drive new ones in while the transmission is out. The last thing you need is to pop a freeze plug and overheat the motor 2 weeks after you replace the rear main... Its all precautionary. There is also a seal on the transmission front pump that seals against the torque converter. If you ever have a transmission fluid leak from between the engine and trans you know thats where its from. The filter kit, and fluid is a good idea. The coolant can be reused if its clean.

15 qts of good old Mercon, though the Mercon name has been obsolete now. But just 15 qts of the cheap stuff thats not type F or Merc V is just fine. I usually change mine so often that it doesnt matter anyway.

Let me know before you buy the stuff. If you end up coming down to Boca to help me load the jack we'll hit up a parts store down here... Commerical shop discount!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If you were to get it down to his shop, put it up on the lift, and turn some fans on it. Within about an hour you should be good to go. Plenty of time to set up and crack a few beers.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry i loled there for a minute. Years ago i dropped a e4od while trying to change the flexplate on my 7.3 diesel on the ground... My foot still isnt the same. Maybe i'm spolied but i wont work on the ground anymore. I have a full shop, lifts, tools, etc. Anyway Bill there are freeze or expansion plugs on the back of the block between the engine and transmission. They're easy to hammer out and to drive new ones in while the transmission is out. The last thing you need is to pop a freeze plug and overheat the motor 2 weeks after you replace the rear main... Its all precautionary. There is also a seal on the transmission front pump that seals against the torque converter. If you ever have a transmission fluid leak from between the engine and trans you know thats where its from. The filter kit, and fluid is a good idea. The coolant can be reused if its clean.

15 qts of good old Mercon, though the Mercon name has been obsolete now. But just 15 qts of the cheap stuff thats not type F or Merc V is just fine. I usually change mine so often that it doesnt matter anyway.

Let me know before you buy the stuff. If you end up coming down to Boca to help me load the jack we'll hit up a parts store down here... Commerical shop discount!
I will take you up on that commercial discount.
Probably better then my 10% veterans discount.
I work off of Yamato and 95 so getting to your place is easy enough.
I am just trying to get everything lined up before I dig into this.
Currently at my garage I have a GTO stuck on the rack for at least the next three weeks or so and I am going out of town this coming holiday weekend but, I do hope to do it this summer sometime.
I will ping you when I am ready.
Just to give you an idea of what we are looking at.
Here is the lift

And here is the leak.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Positive its the rear main???

I'm just north of Yamato on 441.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
You sure its coming from the rear main and not the rear of the valve covers?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Positive its the rear main???

I'm just north of Yamato on 441.
Pretty sure.
The upper half of the engine is clean and the oil pan is not showing any signs of leaking.
The transmission is not loosing any fluid so I was simply going with the elimination theory.
If you have another theory, I am all ears.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Look up the rear of the engine block and make damn sure there is nothing coming down from the valve covers. I pulled my tranny thinking the same as you and it was the rear of the valve covers.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look up the rear of the engine block and make damn sure there is nothing coming down from the valve covers. I pulled my tranny thinking the same as you and it was the rear of the valve covers.
176K on the clock and valve covers are cheap enough.I should probably change them anyway just in case.
That would REALLY piss me off if it turns out it is valve covers and I yank the tranny.
On another note, I am headed up to Eglan this Memorial day weekend.
My big Brother is retiring in...10 days (but who is counting?;)) and he is having a party.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Get it up in the air and have a look. Make sure its not leaking out the back of the intake or V/C's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts