Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Bronco XLT 302 EFI with an EEC controlled ignition TFI/IV. this truck has been on the road for a year now after storage for five years, and has run fine. It is my daily driver. I bought a ford code reader for it and tried it out. passed the first test, got an 11 code then a 10 code, separation code then an 18 c code, loss of tachometer input/IDM circiut failure / SPOUT circiut grounded. The truck was running fine at the time so did nothing. About a week later, on my way home, it started running a little ruff. The next morning I went to start it, it was hard to start and ran really ruff and whould not idle.I whent through my Haynes repair manual and could not find anything about SPOUT circiut excect that you have to disconect it when adjusting the timing. The truck will start and run with a miss at 2000 rpms and up, but will not idle. What I have done so far but did not help, needed it any way, new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Jumped the fuel pump and it worked and tried to replace the fuel filter, but the filter and placement in the manual is not the same as the truck. Is the 18c code why the engine will not run, and what about the fuel filter? On the truck there is no filter before or after the fuel pump like the one in the manual. There is something after the pump, I don`t know what it is, it`s covered by the braclet. Could this be the cause? In my research some one mentioned a broken timing gear tooth with this condition.

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,627 Posts
My copy of Haynes Manual has a pretty good write-up of the ignition system. It also has a section for checking the SPOUT circuit in Chapter 5. There are several things that can trigger a Code 18. The Haynes manual covers what to check. It's a pretty good starting point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts