2,977 Posts
Ahhh... Somebody got a new toy 👍

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No trades. I'm still a hoarder.

Non ecoboost 3.3L V6 to not have to pay for turbo replacements 10+ years from now.

Six speed auto because you can't get stick. The ecoboosts come with 10 speeds, but that's just more money.

Id'a been fine with crank windows, but its the XL decor group with the fluff power windows and wifi.

Regular cab, 4x4, AC, and cruse control were my only requirements.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
840 Posts
No trades. I'm still a hoarder.

Regular cab, 4x4, AC, and cruse control were my only requirements.

Adrianspeeder
Very Nice, In another lifetime I would buy work F-150's from Con-Edison (local utility company) at auction and they where all equipped like these. Neighbors and friends that I would subsequently sell these to swore by these, less things that can go wrong and they lasted forever...

·
Super Moderator
25,795 Posts
Yo Adrian,
Congrats, good fortune and enjoy!

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dad would have called it, "Fluff." Also why he ordered everything with a stick.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,743 Posts
Nice truck now get it dirty!

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,516 Posts
@adrianspeeder - Is there a known issue with the Turbo's? I ask because shortly after I read this, I got a call from my Mom who's broke down on the road, hauling a 5th wheel. They just recently bought a used F250, I think maybe a 2017 or so. Anyway... said they couldn't drive over 35 mph after something went wrong. The small town they're in is totally shut down for Sunday but has a dealership to check it out first thing Monday morn. From what she described, she was concerned about the engine being blown and I told her it's probably just the Turbo gone or they'd have been stuck where it started.
I'm also curious because my lil' lady picked up her '15 F150 2.7 eco TT last year and I'd read about potential issues with the 1st gen direct injection but nothing about the turbo's. I'd appreciate any info you can share.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
@adrianspeeder - Is there a known issue with the Turbo's? I ask because shortly after I read this, I got a call from my Mom who's broke down on the road, hauling a 5th wheel. They just recently bought a used F250, I think maybe a 2017 or so. Anyway... said they couldn't drive over 35 mph after something went wrong. The small town they're in is totally shut down for Sunday but has a dealership to check it out first thing Monday morn. From what she described, she was concerned about the engine being blown and I told her it's probably just the Turbo gone or they'd have been stuck where it started.
I'm also curious because my lil' lady picked up her '15 F150 2.7 eco TT last year and I'd read about potential issues with the 1st gen direct injection but nothing about the turbo's. I'd appreciate any info you can share.
I worked on a GMC sierra 4 door long bed dually turbo diesel that wouldn't go over 75 with a 1500 lb trailer. The charge pipe had popped off and was leaking all the boost out. Blown engines typically make lots of noise or don't run at all, but a blown turbo will throw a code, it will know it's under load with the throttle down but making no boost.

·
36,516 Posts
Appreciate that follow through bud. I'll find out today what the stealership in the Dalles, Or. has to say/do. Hopefully it is something simple like that and not a big, $5k deal. I had something to do with them selling a Chevy 1500 and buying a Ford F250 and then this happened within their first thousand miles.

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
278 Posts
Appreciate that follow through bud. I'll find out today what the stealership in the Dalles, Or. has to say/do. Hopefully it is something simple like that and not a big, $5k deal. I had something to do with them selling a Chevy 1500 and buying a Ford F250 and then this happened within their first thousand miles.
It is most likely a popped off charge pipe. I have a friend that is an engineer for Ford and works on the warranty stuff. He was showing me a tool he is developing that will keep track of the spring hose clamp things to make sure that all of them had been popped because apparently the people on the line have a habit of missing a few. I hope that is all it is!

·
36,516 Posts
Spoke with Mom's old man earlier. Apparently they bought a 2010, significantly older than I thought. Bad news is Ford is a few days out before they'll get it in to check out, leaving him stuck in the Dalles for awhile. He and some helpful randoms checked under the hood and everything looks ok... but we'll see where it goes.

Sorry for the hijack @adrianspeeder I'll leave it alone.
Congrats on the new rig. Hope she serves you well.

·
Premium Member
4,517 Posts
Spoke with Mom's old man earlier. Apparently they bought a 2010, significantly older than I thought. Bad news is Ford is a few days out before they'll get it in to check out, leaving him stuck in the Dalles for awhile. He and some helpful randoms checked under the hood and everything looks ok... but we'll see where it goes.
2008-2010 6.4s were terrible trucks with disposable 150k engines. If that is the case sounds like they only half followed your advice. Any diesel engine after 2003 you really need to be a forum "expert" to own. Gas engines not so much on the 6.2; but the 3v tritons yes.

the 5.0 f150s were great trucks dispite some of the direct injection models having engine problems. New stuff you never know what can creep up from a manufacturing design defect. Friend got a great deal on a XL 2wd F150 5.0 with 5k miles from the salvage auction with minor cab corner damage. Was a uhaul truck came with a clean title and only 5k miles!

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If that's a 6.4L that popped, you scrap the truck and walk away unless you have 15k to throw in a built one. I've meticulously maintained mine, but they are throwaway motors.

Adrianspeeder

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the old ladies 2.7. Overall they are very reliable. There's a 2.7 on the F150 forum with 400,000 miles. Aside from normal maintenance the only part replaced was a purge valve solenoid.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
We had a lot of trouble with our 6.0 turbo diesel collapsing the turbo intake boot. It would act the same way you describe Pepe', but when at idle it would look normal.
I've been running a 3.5 eco TT in my last 2 trucks. Other than programming issues with turbo lag, poor gas mileage etc on the 13 the engines have be solid. So far not one problem with the 17. The 13 gave us fits with crappy mileage. Avg was about 16 which isn't bad, but not anywhere near what it should have been. Every time it went on the computer for diagnostics the mileage would go up around 19-20. After about a 2 week period the computer would drop out of the "learn" mode and then mpg would go right back to 16. They finally got it right shortly before the wife got T boned. Once it was fixed we traded it. I have pulled some pretty big loads, for me anyways, with the 3.5TT including a 79 super cab on a 5K lb. trailer and it never missed a beat. I'll be pulling a 10k dump with gravel in the next couple of weeks so we'll. Good luck with the F250. keep us in loop
Swamp

·
36,516 Posts
I think they got a 5.4L, not the diesel but I'm guessing, as I really didn't pay much attention. I'll update elsewhere when things settle a bit more and I can get more details. In the meantime, I appreciate the info and again, apologize for accidentally hijacking the thread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts