Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,008 Posts
I think they got a 5.4L, not the diesel but I'm guessing, as I really didn't pay much attention. I'll update elsewhere when things settle a bit more and I can get more details. In the meantime, I appreciate the info and again, apologize for accidentally hijacking the thread.
Uh oh if its a 5.4L. I think i know that feeling. My 08 f350 with a 5.4L all of a sudden started running like absolute dog crap, and would only go more than about 35 if I dropped into a lower gear for more torque (ZF 6 speed). Driving it how I normally drove, I could barely even get to 35 and it sputtered and choked the whole time. Threw p0018 and p0022 codes having something to do with the timing gears, belt, and phasers. Could be a simple bad sensor or could be toasted phasers. Pray for the former! Er hope for..

I haven't investigated as its too damn hot and I have the ol creeper van to drive.

And like Adrian's its a white regular cab 4x4. But with an 8foot bed.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,529 Posts
Lookin' good. First thing I did with the lil' ladies was too pull that front, bottom wind deflector... curb findin', dirt draggin' piece of plastic. Hopefully many smiley miles ahead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@adrianspeeder - Is there a known issue with the Turbo's? I ask because shortly after I read this, I got a call from my Mom who's broke down on the road, hauling a 5th wheel. They just recently bought a used F250, I think maybe a 2017 or so. Anyway... said they couldn't drive over 35 mph after something went wrong. The small town they're in is totally shut down for Sunday but has a dealership to check it out first thing Monday morn. From what she described, she was concerned about the engine being blown and I told her it's probably just the Turbo gone or they'd have been stuck where it started.
I'm also curious because my lil' lady picked up her '15 F150 2.7 eco TT last year and I'd read about potential issues with the 1st gen direct injection but nothing about the turbo's. I'd appreciate any info you can share.
was it out of DEF or a regen issue. if that happens you will go into limp mode.. I put 250k on 6.0 powerstroke with zero issues other than egr cooler issue.

·
36,529 Posts
Since it's come back up... I spoke with Mom again and asked a few more "mom" kinda questions. 1. It's auto-trans so it should be the 6.4 but I don't know diesel or not. 2. Ford dealer said it was the turbo gone out, not just disconnected or something. Apparently they have to lift the cab to work on 'em, so he won't be on the road again until Tuesday. What a pain in the ass. Can't imagine doing that kind of repair at home. Repair will run around $5k as suggested... so that sucks.
She also started to go on about selling it as soon as he gets back. I advised her not to be so quick with the emotional re-sale. Since they've invested to fix this issue already... why sell it off, now that it's freshly repaired/replaced and shouldn't be a problem for another 10 yrs or ump-teen many miles? Anything else I should know?

Again... I am sorry for the hijack @adrianspeeder If I were still on staff... I'd rip this thread apart to separate it and make a specific one for my "quick question" to you that's turned into this ongoing hijack. I know we don't "chat" much directly around here but I respect your experience and your service and regret being a pain in your a... er, thread. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
If they are taking the cab off it’s for sure a diesel. Any work on ford diesels requires cab off. So it’s starts at 1k before addressing the real issue. But, and this is a big one. The turbo is accessible without cab removal. My guess is that there may be a head issue also.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Pepe need to find a powerstroke forum. there are several of them; and read the 6.4 section maybe make a thread there. Next SD you need to research the engines and find the low repair cost ones such as the 2v tritons and the 6.2 coyote GAS.

99-04 5.4 or 6.8 2v triton GAS
2011-2019 6.2 GAS

·
36,529 Posts
Never been into diesels. Glow plugs aren't a thing anymore but they turned me away long ago. See plenty of 'em, can't stand riding behind them... especially when some over-powered young punk's "rollin' coal".
With the load you tow to go have fun... I'll take that sage advice but to be honest, I'm not going to get setup and deal with another forum, research, bother people I don't know or trust (like this place) just to have the "parents" blow me off and do something totally different. I'm sure you can imagine, if you haven't been there.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Never been into diesels. Glow plugs aren't a thing anymore but they turned me away long ago. See plenty of 'em, can't stand riding behind them... especially when some over-powered young punk's "rollin' coal".
With the load you tow to go have fun... I'll take that sage advice but to be honest, I'm not going to get setup and deal with another forum, research, bother people I don't know or trust (like this place) just to have the "parents" blow me off and do something totally different. I'm sure you can imagine, if you haven't been there.
On the last part....I know exactly what you're talking about. My parents are in their 80's and twice in the last few years I tried to convince them that they didn't need a new vehicle. Now here we are, they have 2 new (not brand new) vehicles. Now mom can't drive anymore. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with yor new ride Adrian

21 - 29 of 29 Posts