Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who's planning on going to the SCORE race at Primm on Sept. 5 &6.
Don told me a couple weeks ago that my dues are paid in full with the Moss Brothers race team and I will be co driving for my first time at this race. I'm super excited and looking forward to this race more than any other. I bought my race suit and helmet at contingency at the vegas to Reno race so I'm all set. I'll be towing my Bronco down with the new super duty and we will pre run the course Friday morning. So far we have two other entries in class 3 and this will be the 2nd race of the class 3 cup. Unless the powers that be decide to change it again.:twak

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Next week? Geez time flies. Well, the rig is not ready, but I'm planning to be there. If there's anything you need, just drop me a line Rick. I know where you can get catheters for cheap!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next week? Geez time flies. Well, the rig is not ready, but I'm planning to be there. If there's anything you need, just drop me a line Rick. I know where you can get catheters for cheap!
Geez Brian, I know I'm getting old but I really think I can handle 1 lap of 70 miles without wetting my pants.

·
Registered
809 Posts
you will have the time of your life!!! just some advice... relax and be calm, a nervous rider makes the driver nervous, so just sit back and enjoy the ride. good luck and can't wait to hear the full report.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rick, have a safe trip. By the way, how long of a drive from Nor Cal out to Primm? That sounds like some serious distance.

Chris
Its just a hair under 500 miles one way but in the new 08 F-350 crew cab it seems more like 50 LOL. I'll be towing my Bronco down for the first time. I'm anxious to see what kind of MPG she gets. We averaged 16.7 MPG for the entire Vegas to Reno trip which isn't too bad.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What an awesome race at Primm. It wasn’t all fun and games for me though. I learned a few things as well.

For several years I’ve been watching Don motor past our camp sites along the many courses in Mexico and each time he would go by I’d say to myself “ I know I can beat those guys”. Yeah right. This was my first race in the truck and Don gave me one heck of a ride. I started with him on the first lap. The sun was just coming up and with the heavy dust visibility was near zero. I did my best for a rookie to call out the corners off the GPS but I really don’t think he needed the help. The guy has radar like a bat or something. No matter how heavy the dust and the glaring sun tried to blind him he just kept hauling the mail. When we reached the short paved section he opened the black beast up for real and I watched the MPH climb. We finally hit a top speed of 102 mph and just to see if I was paying attention he puts the two tires on my side into the dirt around a sweeping right hander. I don’t know about sucking up any cushion but I did hold my breath for a couple of seconds for sure. We closed up a lot of ground on Rod Hall in his Hummer but we were back in the dust as the pavement ended. Don kept after it and soon we were on Rod’s tail jockeying for the pass. I layed on the horn as we got closer thinking to myself “This is so cool” as we passed the Hummer at over 80 mph as we were coming into pit B and we didn’t see them again the rest of the first lap. Don is so silky smooth and super fast I learned I have a long way to go in developing those kinds of driving skills.

The other thing I learned is never trailer your pre runner to a race. For the last five years I’ve been driving my Bronco down to Mexico from the Bay area for every race. I’d beat the heck out of it on the course and drive it home again without ever having a problem. The first time I trailer her down she craps out on me near race mile 47 while on our prerun. We checked the obvious things like plug wires, vacuum lines etc. all seemed OK. While I was changing the fuel filter Dave Moore (Gunit) stopped to check on us and foolishly we sent him on his way. After trying everything Danny and I could come up with I see a big super duty coming up the course. It was Cameron Steele and Adam Ashcroft; they stopped to see if we needed help and were gracious enough to tow us to an access road. Now mind you it was no ordinary tow. He was pounding on that super duty pretty hard while dragging us along all with no power steering or power brakes on my end. The whole time I’m hoping he doesn’t stop too fast because I didn’t think we could. We finally reached a side road and Danny called the Old Horse crew to come and fetch us back to town. Danny came up with some serious red neck engineering consisting of an empty water bottle we filled with gas, a few wire ties and a vacuum hose off the intake manifold that allowed us to reach pit C where we loaded up my Bronco onto Dan’s trailer with a little tug from a BLM truck. A big thanks to Dan Wright and the Old Horse crew for getting us back to Primm you guys are super. I hope my Bronco and I can work through our trust issues that have developed.

Thanks to Don and the rest of the team for giving me the ride of my life. I’m so grateful to you for allowing me to be a part of such an awesome crew. I’m very proud to call you all my friends and team mates.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Thanks for the report, Rick. It sounds like it was a blast (even with the breakdown). So I take it the fuel pump took a dump again? If that's the case, replace it with a Motorcraft. We (at work) have had a lot of bad experiences with aftermarket pumps.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Good stuff Rick! It was good seeing you. Got some new C3 news to share shortly. ;) Wish we had more time to hang out, but we were smelling bad and had a long drive home. Ha!

We arrived in Primm around 7:30am and hooked up with Gunit and the Vanderway crew about 9. Gunit's assignment for the race was to monitor the laptop, IRC and take race notes, so we joined him in the main pit and watched the race from there. Not much action with a 50mph pit speed limit, but they were even impressive a mile out. TT84 had a great race. They were in 6th position overall before getting a flat a couple of miles out of the pit. They nursed it in sideways and lost a couple of minutes changing it out. 2 TT's got by them in the pits, but they held their own for the duration of the race. It was an impressive finish being what I believe was the third race on the truck.

Here's some clips I took with my pocket camera from the pit. Sorry for the goofiness. I just discovered Windows Movie Maker! Ha!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the report, Rick. It sounds like it was a blast (even with the breakdown). So I take it the fuel pump took a dump again? If that's the case, replace it with a Motorcraft. We (at work) have had a lot of bad experiences with aftermarket pumps.
Yeah you called it right Steve. No more aftermarket fuel pumps for me and I'll be carrying a spare pump from now on. Its just kind of ironic that the one time I towed the bitch to a race she lets me down. Stupid truck.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Its just kind of ironic that the one time I towed the bitch to a race she lets me down. Stupid truck.
Give the old girl some credit. Maybe she knew she held out until there was a truck and trailer available to get you home! hahaha.

If you need help getting a pump let me know. My Motorcraft vendor has one in stock. If you want I can ship it to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts