Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,857 Posts
Do I have one at the moment? No, but I will. When I do my SAS I will be swapping in a 78 D44 from a Bronco and I'll be rebuilding it with a minispool, chromo crosspin, and 4.56 gears. With lockouts you'll be fine. Don't think about driving it on the street with both hubs locked, but if you needed 4wheel in town you could just get out and lock a hub. I live in Iowa so I'll probably hate myself for it, but I don't need 4WD that often anyways, and when I do I already just lock in 1 hub. As long as both hubs aren't locked you won't have breakage issues. With both hubs locked, I'd hope you were in the slick stuff.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Or better yet, why not just save your money and get a real locker? I'm sure the world is not going to end if you wait a couple of months or more before locking the front end, and then you will have a proper locker. I don't understand why someone would run a spool when they could simply wait and get a real locker.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm running one in the front of my 150. Not SFA but I don't see how that bears relativity here. I love it. Bluebronco(?) helped out on a thread of mine about front minis in TTB and said that people have had problems with spline fitment with some minis while Richmond minis haven't gotten any bad reviews interms of fitment. I bought a no-namer off eBay and my axles don't slip all the way in so needless to say I'll be getting myself a Richmond mini after the rest of the build up is done.

Or better yet, why not just save your money and get a real locker? I'm sure the world is not going to end if you wait a couple of months or more before locking the front end, and then you will have a proper locker. I don't understand why someone would run a spool when they could simply wait and get a real locker.
Ford or Chevy? Red or blue? Dogs or cats? Who cares, it's a matter of preference. I will say this: you're right, a spool is not a real locker....it's a spool. :goodfinge

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
OffRoadPoser said:
im sorry, but i fail to see how a spool is not a real locker. mini or full, they both lock the axleshafts together 100% of the time, under throttle or coasting. explain to me how that makes it not a real locker? because its not an ARB or a detriot? spools are great because they are cheap, fool-proof (no compressors or solenoids to muck with), and if you break a shaft, you still have 3 wheel drive until the other one breaks. installing a mini is as simple as pulling the spider and side gears, and a full is the same as installing a carrier or locker. catch my drift?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
jrdbronco said:
im sorry, but i fail to see how a spool is not a real locker. mini or full, they both lock the axleshafts together 100% of the time, under throttle or coasting.
Ummm....incorect. A locker such as a detroit or a lunchbox locker, will allow one tire to spin faster than the ring gear. But no tire can spin slower. The outside tire, in a lo or no power turn, will unlock, turning faster than the ring gear. Thats how an auto locker works. With the hubs locked, and the T-case in 2 hi, a auto locker in the front is almost completly transparent.

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
you misunderstood me gack, i was talking about mini and full spools locking the shafts together 100% of the time. i know lockers like detroits and lunchboxes dont do that, hence why some "ratchet" though turns while coasting

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
jrdbronco said:
you misunderstood me gack, i was talking about mini and full spools locking the shafts together 100% of the time. i know lockers like detroits and lunchboxes dont do that, hence why some "ratchet" though turns while coasting
ahhh, you confused me using the word locker.

I typicaly dont consider a spool a locker, It's a spool :toothless

You confused me thats all :beer

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,857 Posts
OffRoadPoser said:
Because for the same effect I can have a locked diff and 200+ dollars in my pocket or into something else on my truck. 200 bucks is almost half way to deaver springs in the rear of my truck =).

I've actually pretty much decided (90% of the way there) to go Detroit in the 9 that I swap into my truck in the spring. I was going to minispool/crosspin it but decided that with my highway miles that wouldn't be the greatest idea. And if I'm going to be putting it in there, then I'm not going to just put another open in there - do it once do it right.

Btw..that's a recommendation for people doing the 9" Minispool. Or any minispool. You're putting pretty much all the torque on that crosspin, so rather then putting in the stock 20-30 year old stamped peice, spring for the new steel/chromo crosspin for reassurance. You can still get the minispool and crosspin for the 9" for about 40 shipped. 65-75 shipped for a D44.

Another advantage of the minispool is that since its replacing the spiders its removing one of the 3 great weaknesses of hte D44 - Shafts (ears), Joints (ear of shafts again), and the spiders.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have run spools in the back but I never have and never will run a spool up front. That is just my personal preference though. Running a spool up front is just a pain when you have to make a sharp turn on a trail (while coasting, such as coming off a hill) and you end up having to do a 16 point turn or having to unlock a hub because the spool gives you the turning radius of the Titanic. Of course a spool in the rear doesn't help the turning radius much either but it doesn't have as bad of an effect. They will also eat through the rear tires on-road but off-road they can be a little easier on the drivetrain then a Detroit since their is no shock loading from it engaging and disengaging.

·
Registered
42 Posts
installing a mini is as simple as pulling the spider and side gears, and a full is the same as installing a carrier or locker. catch my drift?
Well since your talking about a D44 front, you still have to pull the axles and remove the carrier to get the ring gear off to get the cross pin out of the 44. Not much difference in labor.

Personally I wouldn't run a spool in the front diff. I bought my Detroit EZ locker for $225. Thats not a lot of money for a diff. Even with the locker I still use my twinstick a lot for trail use. Fighting the locker can be a PIA. But if you knock the front out of gear she turns like a dream. You can't do that with spool. Not to mention that the only time the locker is stressing the axles is under power in a turn, the spool is going to bind the axles any time the wheel is turned and hubs are locked.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
I run a mini in the 9" with no problems.

Drexelsteve runs front and rear mini's and has had nothing but good results.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Saurian said:
Btw..that's a recommendation for people doing the 9" Minispool. Or any minispool. You're putting pretty much all the torque on that crosspin, so rather then putting in the stock 20-30 year old stamped peice, spring for the new steel/chromo crosspin for reassurance. You can still get the minispool and crosspin for the 9" for about 40 shipped. 65-75 shipped for a D44.
Got a good (read cheap) link for that bling cross shaft?? (I already have the minispool)..

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
You guys must all be running mud. A fully locked front axle totally sucks anywhere you have good traction (rocks, hard dirt) because your steering goes away. It blows to try to make a tight turn and you can't even budge the steering wheel. ARB is the way to go, even a Detroit isn't any fun when you're bound up, and getting out to unlock a hub all the time gets old in a hurry.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,857 Posts
Yep, I'm aiming solely for mud. If I were messing with Rocks (Iowa...almost no rocks, just sloppy trails and mud) it'd be a different story. I wouldn't mind the spooled rear, but the front would probably have to be selectable. But Rocks cost alot more then mud =P.

Ox, You mean the 9" you were buying just the open carrier for? Uhm, I'm not sure if you can get one from 4wheelcustoms here on this forum, but on Pirate I'm 98% sure that CCOR or Shaffer's could get the chromo crosspin in the rear. I got quotes from CCOR and I am pretty sure they had one (And Shaffers can get you just about anything), but I've since decided to go with 4wheelcustoms on this board when I start buying stuff (within the next two weeks). I like FSB more then Pirate, so I figured I'd support this vendor. Prices were close.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Larston said:
You guys must all be running mud. A fully locked front axle totally sucks anywhere you have good traction (rocks, hard dirt) because your steering goes away. It blows to try to make a tight turn and you can't even budge the steering wheel. ARB is the way to go, even a Detroit isn't any fun when you're bound up, and getting out to unlock a hub all the time gets old in a hurry.
In my case it is my beater winter snow wheeler (rock crawler is getting a narrowed front and rear, and a cage real soon, so it will be down for quite a while). Also use it for mild trail riding and a legal local wheeler. Jersey you need at least 2 rigs, one wild monster for private property mudding (44's are entry level) and one smaller sreet legal rig for state land (again mudding). And since neither of those rigs are worth squat for extreme rock crawling, you need another for that. Then if you rock crawl sometimes with stockish trucks, you need yet another rig so your not board running your extreme rock rig on mild trails. At least that is the best excuse I got for why I need 4 rigs. :rockon

But anyway, in my case, I welded the front and was gonna weld the rear, but I got a mini-spool for 20$. But I agree, front detroits and spools suck in the extreme rocks. Unless you got a really bulletproof front axle and lot of power in which case you can steer with short bursts of wheelspin.

One thing on the east coast is there are lot of trails with very little traction, or big rocks with dirt, leaves, logs and other crap that unbinds everything a little better. Or like tellico where the rocks are polished bowling ball smooth, so it was real tough to get bound up there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts