Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Gear Driven!!
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OffRoadPoser said:
Or better yet, why not just save your money and get a real locker? I'm sure the world is not going to end if you wait a couple of months or more before locking the front end, and then you will have a proper locker. I don't understand why someone would run a spool when they could simply wait and get a real locker.
Easy Dude,I was just asking opinion's?If I wanted to I could buy a ARB right now,but I'm not wanting to spend alot of $$$ on the 44 that I may replace with a 60 at anytime!

Keep it coming Guys!:popc1:

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I haven't ever run a spooled front, but I did break a lockright and it acted like a spool cuz the pins were sheared and jammed in between the drivers. I wheeled it like that for quite a while because I had Warn alloy axles and CTM ujoints that could take the abuse. Stock shafts won't hold up I guarantee it.
If this is purely an economic decision, get a rebuilt D44 L/S carrier or a lockright and run it until you do the D60 swap. You can recover the cost when you sell off the D44.
The savings in the spool will get eaten up in busted axles and ujoints in a hurry. Not to mention the fun of replacing them in the mud and goop. BTDT.
EDIT: You "unlock one hub" guys ever actually dunnit with the front in a bind? Even if the knob does turn, the hub don't unlock till it's not in a bind any more. That's never in some places.

·
Registered
783 Posts
78bronco460 said:
You "unlock one hub" guys ever actually dunnit with the front in a bind? Even if the knob does turn, the hub don't unlock till it's not in a bind any more. That's never in some places.
Thats true with any good locker..........

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Larston said:
You guys must all be running mud. A fully locked front axle totally sucks anywhere you have good traction (rocks, hard dirt) because your steering goes away. It blows to try to make a tight turn and you can't even budge the steering wheel. ARB is the way to go, even a Detroit isn't any fun when you're bound up, and getting out to unlock a hub all the time gets old in a hurry.
I was thinking the same thing. I would hate life if I could not lock and unlock the front dif at will..the difference in turning and maneuvering ability is not just large..it's radically large. I would not be doing half the stuff I can do now if the front was permanently locked. But then I play mostly all on rocks and super-tight trails.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm running a fully welded front on mine and I love it for the traction. It's true I've had to pull some multi point turns but for the traction it's worth it. That being said some day I'll buy a selectable locker for the D60. I like the look of the Eaton locker. I don't know if I'd spool a D44 though. I've been lucky enough not to have heard that metalic ping of an axleshaft snapping. If you go this route make sure you have plenty of spares and wheeling friends with patience.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts