Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
radius arm bushings bad? Mine were and it was clunking

Edit: wait is it clunking when you put it in gear, or when you put it in gear and start rolling?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Check tranny fluid level, grease slipjoint in driveshaft, look at your rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If ujoints are bad they won't hold the joint in place tightly. So when torque is applied it'll let it slip as the bearings are no longer tightly packed. That could be the clunk. Usually you'll get some vibrations through driveshaft if ujoints go bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yaa and ive heard u joints last the life of the car but in trucks i know its typically a different story
ill give that a shot an hope it helps

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Make sure your driveshaft is bolted tightly to the transfer case. I was getting a clunking sound...turns out thats what it was.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
Does the clunk come from the front or rear of the car?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
U joints it forward/reverse does it (without touching the brakes)

if pressing the brakes makes it clunk, it's ball joints or radius arm bushings.

my guess is U joints. (then radius arms, ball joints being the least likely)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well when i push on the brakes and the car moves forward then back as it comes to a halt you hear a clunk that is metal to metal sounding
almost like a grinding noise

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive got cluncking in mine to it sounds like its coming from the trans wen its put into gear but turns out its my pinion bearing in my rear end mite wanna check that while ur at it

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Mine was caused by the spider gears being worn real bad, The mechanic that went to install my Detroit Truetrac showed me hou bad they were. The Truetrac eliminated these parts so all was fixed, The problem was worst when actually leaving a stop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts