Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 89 302 Eddie Bauer I noticed that the heater was bypassed. The hose going through the firewall to behind the glove box to heater core is looped back. I was wondering the purposes of bypassing the heater? What I want to figure out is what should I assume about the system before replacing hoses and parts.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
10:1 the heater core is leaking and the previous owner bypassed it so they didn't have to replace it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The "heater core bypass mod" is worth at least 50 hp! ;)

Jk, like was said, only real reason to bypass is leaky core.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
In any case, the heater core is going to be bad, either leaking or clogged. Its not too hard to replace, and its one of those things that's cheap enough to buy new.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Two reasons possible. Leaky heater core, or to keep vent air cooler in the summer. I'd bet on leak.

·
Registered
446 Posts
In any case, the heater core is going to be bad, either leaking or clogged. Its not too hard to replace, and its one of those things that's cheap enough to buy new.
Yep, why someone would bypass on an ol Bronco is beyond me, just lazy I guess.

Vehicles that you have to take the entire dash out, 'nother story. Dont need heat that bad in Fla, or someone needs to be paying me to do it! :toothless

·
Man of endless projects
9,288 Posts
when I first got my 88 it blew up while driving. had it bypassed for a year or 2. never knew how easy it was to change. did it in 30 mins and IIRC cost like 30$ and I was kicking myself for going through winter without it. I may be in Florida but driving to school with my head out the windows cause a frozen solid windshield still sucked

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will pick up a heater core today thanks for all the replies. I live in North Florida (current temp 48), it does get cold enough to need a heater and because it's cheap I can fix it! My local parts store has one for $25

·
Super Moderator
26,057 Posts
yo R,
After core is inspected for leak(s) and before replacing it with new core;
Consider a sys flush if coolant looks murky

·
Super Moderator
26,057 Posts
yo,
Forgot to mention to do a coolant sys pressure test, incl the cap test; most parts stores have a loan a tool program for cooling system pressure tester for a fully refundable deposit.

Some charge around $75.00 deposit... call a few before you go to pick one up

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would try the old one first. It might be just clogged instead of leaking. You can put an air line in there to blow the crap out. Turn the pressure down to about 40 psi, though. Use one of those air blowers with a rubber tip. They cover the hole well so all the air goes out the other side. If it blows through easily, then most likely it is leaking and time to replace it. Also, if it is full of gunk.....do like Miesk said and flush your system or your head gaskets will be toast in the near future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just replaced and it was one of the easier jobs to do. The cover behind glove box required some funky angles to get out and in but took 2 minutes to figure out. I tested the old core by simply filling it with hose water and I saw several drops of water forming around the top part of the core. I left it in the garage tilted at an angle so as not to leak back out in and out hose fittings. After an hour it was sitting in a puddle with not even being pressurized so it was definitely leaking which was good news because that's why the previous owner bypassed the thing. Obviously he didn't know how easy it was. I did prefill the core with coolant and that saved me some time as well. One other thing to mention to anyone doing this job is have a sealant on hand for where the unit inputs go through the firewall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts