Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I curently have a 600MHz Pentium III
I am looking into getting a faster CPU, but...

the directions to my Motherboard says:

Socket 370 connector
Celeron up to 533MHz
Pentium II or III up to 750MHz

Why can't I get a faster CPU???

·
Registered
403 Posts
motherboard chip set and bois were only programed to take up to a 750 mhz cpu probably when the 750 was the top cpu you could get at the time... I have a p-3 733 mhz cpu I will sell you for $40 shipped

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
just because a mb says X cpu is the fastest does not mean it will nto work with something faster.

I have put in p3-1ghz in boards that said 750's were the max and they worked just fine @ the cpu speed.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
key is socket, what chipset will run it, fsb speed, and try to find a bios that will work with it. However, spend like 100 bucks and get a 2.0ghz/mobo combo. they are out there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You may be able to flash your BIOS to a newer version that accepts higher CPU speeds. I've done it on my ABIT KT7A RAID quite a few times to run faster processors.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'll tell ya with price of puters today, and depending on the shape of the rest of your system in may pay to just buy a new state of the art system and :smash the old one ??

Maybe last minute Christmas Gift for Ryan :rockon

·
Only the Bronco
975 Posts
as long as it's an ATX cpmpatible case, and an ATX motherboard, you will have no problems..... if it's an AT.... well........ that's another story

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also got a 250watt power supply. That's doesn't need upgrading, Right?
I ahd a friend that put in a cooling fan, and when the CPU heated up the whole thig would shut down, too small of a power supply. But I forgot what he had / upgraded too. So that's in the back of my mind too. :shrug

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Starting adding more things, you need a bigger PS. If I were you, buy a new power suply, and a mobo combo. Find a combo with the ram, cpu, and motherboard. Take the old one out, screw the new one in. Reformat the harddrive, and your good to go. Might as well upgrade the hard drive while you are at it, they are cheap, 120 gig 7200 rpm 59.99 at comp usa until christmas. Then you should upgrade the video card, perhaps a radeon 9600 pro will do fine for you. Through in a dvd burner while you are at it.... 10/100/1000 network card... dunno splurge I guess for the 19" LCD monitor whil eyo uare at it. :histerica

·
Only the Bronco
975 Posts
I'm running a 250 watt P/S with my Athlon XP 2500+/Gigabyte GA-7VAX motherboard combo w/ Thermaaltakes Volcano 9 and I have had no problems with shutdowns duw to lack of power..... although I would like to upgrade my p/s in the near future....

·
Only the Bronco
975 Posts
hmmmm, mini........ that's a tricky word right there, if that is the case then you will need to be looking for a motherboard to fit a mini atx case...... if it was just an atx case, there would be no problems there....

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i_alone said:
hmmmm, mini........ that's a tricky word right there, if that is the case then you will need to be looking for a motherboard to fit a mini atx case...... if it was just an atx case, there would be no problems there....
It "says" mini on the pamplet that came with the case, but it looks like every other normal sized stand up computer.
I got: 3 - 5" bays, 3 - 3.5" bays, 2 case fans, 3 slots for memory, and lots of expansion slots in the back. Pictures here:
http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=99676&toggle=fullsize&f=computer1.jpg
http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=99677&toggle=fullsize&f=computer2.jpg
http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=99678&toggle=fullsize&f=computer3.jpg
I have the giant version of those pics on my superford site.

SquattyD said:
tell ya what, you build me an efi setup and ill build you a new computer.
I can do this ;) Time for me to actually open the case and learn. Embasesed I haven't done this yet, this computer was built for me, cost $600 by a friend.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
i think the computer is just acting slow because you spend too much time with your trucks computer, it is jealous

or

it is just your damn meds kicking in

:)

·
Only the Bronco
975 Posts
Yeah, it's just a regular ATX case, same as mine...... so there is a wide array of mobo's that you can put into that, due to the fact that it is ATX

1 - 20 of 23 Posts