Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
DogFuzz said:
There are two types of C-6s as well. One for the W, and one for the M. Or big block and small block, but those are really misnomers.
actually, there are three. You forgot the FE bolt pattern

·
Registered
413 Posts
Small block on the left 6 inch center top bolt to top bolt
Big block pattern on the right 7 3/4 inches top bolt to top bolt

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Chuck said:
Sorry if that wasn't clear -- I wasn't trying to imply that the Cleveland and M blocks were the same (or similar), though I was in error in listing the Cleveland with the big-block bellhousing pattern. There are in fact some significant differences between the C and M even aside from bellhousing pattern -- they have very different main journal sizes, for one.

What I originally meant by that arrangement was that the 351M and 400M are the same block. They're very oddly put together -- they actually share everything except crank and pistons. The really weird part is the fact that they share the same rods, and the engineers made up the difference by using pistons with a VERY tall compression height in the 351M. Don't ask me why. Definitely not the way I would've designed it.
:thumbup Not a problem man... :beer

Just as long as we keep the person who asked the question THOROUGHLY confused for as long as we possiby can!!! :wacko :histerica :wacko :histerica :chili: :clap

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
didja know you can use 351C pistons on a 400 crank with a little machine work?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
well guys you have been alot of help. I can now die in piece and not buy the engine i wanted so bad. now it is up to me to mod my own engine and yes i have been confused for the last few days. If it wasnt for your helpful pics and comments i would be up shit creek with one paddle and a engine that didnt fit.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
jopes said:
didja know you can use 351C pistons on a 400 crank with a little machine work?
Actually, the fun combination is:
400M Crank
Windsor block & Pistons, overbored
300-I6 or Dodge 318 rods

This combo makes for a budget 408ci Windsor. :thumbup

The Cleveland heads will also bolt onto either of the Windsor blocks (351W, 302) with minor modifications (drill out one water passage) and the correct intake manifold. The 4V C heads are VERY similar to the Boss 302 heads (read: nearly identical), and have the same ungodly huge flow capacity. This combo is typically known as a "Clevor." :toothless

Combine the two and you get a 408 Clevor with a really serious set of cylinder heads, halfway on a budget (still some machine work required).

I wouldn't use the 4V heads on a truck, though.

The 351M/400M heads have the same huge ports and valves as the Cleveland, and will also bolt onto the Windsor with the same modifications. However, the M heads and 2V C heads are all open-chamber heads, and have no quench to speak of. You have to run low compression to keep them from pinging themselves to nonexistence. Hence, this combination doesn't work well, which is a shame since the M heads are so easy to come by.

·
Registered
2 Posts
THE 351W i found is bolted on to a c6 trans on a 68 ford f-100 that came with a 460 and thy swaped it with the windsor. wont that 351w bolt to my 351m trans c6. I am confused. or did they make a 351 w that bolted on to a big block bell housing
Yea that's what I run in my 1985 bronco.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts