Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, l'm currently doing a 1-ton SAS, and once I finish, I'll be swapping a (351 or 460)/ZF5/NP drive train from a '97 F350 into my '90 Bronco to replace my worn 302/AOD/BW one. My question is, since Im swapping the tranny and T-case regardless, is there any reason not to go with the 460 over the 351?
Ill build either motor to put out a little less than 1 HP/cubic inch, going with EFI, and a D60/Sterling combo (also '97 F350) and 35's with 4.11s will already be underneath.
This truck is not my primary means of transportation, but I still want to maintain good drive ability and reliability.
Ive searched and the reason most give for going with the 351 is cost, but because Im doing the whole drive train, Im not sure that money would be a defining factor.
Thanks!!:thumbup

·
Registered
258 Posts
Go with the 460!!!!!!!! Make sure you get the wire harness and computer for either way you go. If you plan on going to the 460 w/carb (you can do EFI) you can buy a Painless Universal wire harness if you need. I think they have a EFI version as well.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
The 460 is def a HOSS!! but something to think about is the added weight. How much HP and TQ do you need for your build? (I know you can never have enough) You already know the 460 is $$$ to build. Just some things to think about. Good luck with your build.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
$4/gallon gas would be the reason for me. I would also think with the 351 (I am assuming W) the cost of parts for the motor would be dramaticly less since there is a larger aftermarket for them.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go with the 460!!!!!!!! Make sure you get the wire harness and computer for either way you go. If you plan on going to the 460 w/carb (you can do EFI) you can buy a Painless Universal wire harness if you need. I think they have a EFI version as well.
I will. Im pulling the ECU, harness, clutch setup, crossmember, and as many accessories as I can. Id love to get a donor truck, but that doesnt look like its in the cards right now. Ive heard good things about painless too. I think I will be going that route. Thanks :thumbup

The 460 is def a HOSS!! but something to think about is the added weight. How much HP and TQ do you need for your build? (I know you can never have enough) You already know the 460 is $$$ to build. Just some things to think about. Good luck with your build.
Yeah, its about 100 lbs over the 351W, correct? Im putting an extra 1/2 inch of lift in the front in anticipation of running a heavier engine...Im not sure what I can do other than that. Id like to end up with 330-430 HP and at least that much or more in TQ. Whats really important, though, is for those peak numbers to be low in the rpm range as possible. Im interested in real world power, not numbers Ill only hit if I take it to the local drag strip. Yes, I am aware that the 460 is a bit more to build, but Id think that the 351W would require a much more elaborate build to reach those numbers, especially in that RPM range. This also makes me think that the 460 would be the more reliable one after the buildup. However, I am not an experienced engine builder by any means!!! Given those goals, do you think the big block still be that much more expensive?
Good input so far man, thanks :beer

$4/gallon gas would be the reason for me. I would also think with the 351 (I am assuming W) the cost of parts for the motor would be dramaticly less since there is a larger aftermarket for them.
Well, Im trying not to make gas mileage a determining factor, since all that pretty much went out the window with the lift, tires, and 1-tons. Besides, in searching, I've read multiple times that mileage stayed the same, or in some cases, actually improved after a big block swap.
Also, I know that the buildup for the big block should be more expensive, but is it really that much of a difference??? Ill probably end up doing most of the building myself, minus the machine work. Plus, take into account that Ill be needing more mods for the 351W (yes, W, sorry forgot to clarify that earlier) to achieve my power goals.

Thanks for the input so far guys!!!! :rockon

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
If i had it to do again on my '89 I would have gone with a 460
I am also planning a 460 when I ge through the current sas project, and my future twin stick 205......

You were asking for the negatives, so I provided whay I though were negatives. I am also planning the same at some point in time.....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well the big issues I see are the fuel millage, cost, and space to work around the big lump. I doupt weight will be a huge factor in that truck, with the mods you are doing.

Also what about passing state inspections?? Any issues over engine swapps???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok guys, l'm currently doing a 1-ton SAS, and once I finish, I'll be swapping a (351 or 460)/ZF5/NP drive train from a '97 F350 into my '90 Bronco to replace my worn 302/AOD/BW one. My question is, since Im swapping the tranny and T-case regardless, is there any reason not to go with the 460 over the 351?
Ill build either motor to put out a little less than 1 HP/cubic inch, going with EFI, and a D60/Sterling combo (also '97 F350) and 35's with 4.11s will already be underneath.
This truck is not my primary means of transportation, but I still want to maintain good drive ability and reliability.
Ive searched and the reason most give for going with the 351 is cost, but because Im doing the whole drive train, Im not sure that money would be a defining factor.
Thanks!!:thumbup

I'll just say this. The company I work for owns a ford f350 stake truck with duallys, and yes it has a 460. That truck makes me want to never drive anything smaller than that engine. The low end grunt is ridiculous. You can smash on the gas in that thing and just light the heck out of all FOUR tires as if it was some crazy muscle car. And this truck has almost 200k miles. and is on it's last leg.
If I end up swapping out the 302 from mine, I'm going to end up putting in a 460. I'd say go with factory EFI if you can, but whatever you prefer. just my 2 cents

:beer

·
Registered
897 Posts
How is the OE FI system on the bigblocks?? Is it as adaptable as the small block systems?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't know if it is adaptable, but the throttle response is quite amazing. Did your cold air intake make any noticeable difference compared to stock?
Not sure, it was on there when I got it. Sounds cooler though. :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the big issues I see are the fuel millage, cost, and space to work around the big lump. I doupt weight will be a huge factor in that truck, with the mods you are doing.

Also what about passing state inspections?? Any issues over engine swapps???
Hmmm, from what Ive read, the truck is held to the requirements of the newest part whether its engine or chassis. Since Ill be going for EFI, my engine will most definitely be newer than my chassis. Im not sure if its a problem that Its not an engine originally available for the Bronco. Honestly though, Ive never had an Inspector ask me anything about my engine at all. That being said I am definitely NOT an expert in this avenue. Anyone with a 460 ever had an issue??

I'll just say this. The company I work for owns a ford f350 stake truck with duallys, and yes it has a 460. That truck makes me want to never drive anything smaller than that engine. The low end grunt is ridiculous. You can smash on the gas in that thing and just light the heck out of all FOUR tires as if it was some crazy muscle car. And this truck has almost 200k miles. and is on it's last leg.
If I end up swapping out the 302 from mine, I'm going to end up putting in a 460. I'd say go with factory EFI if you can, but whatever you prefer. just my 2 cents

:beer
I seem to be leaning that way (460 w/EFI I mean) :thumbup

Basically what Im getting is that the cost of engine buildup would be the major deterrant against the 460. My plan was to just take the block to an engine shop and tell them I need minimum of 330HP at 2800 to 3000 RPM, while keeping it very street able and reliable; Then, have them machine the block, pick out the parts, and then take it all home and assemble it.
A 351W is cheaper to modify, but I would think it would need MUCH more modification to get those numbers compared to a 460. Any engine builders out there who could give me a ballpark cost difference? I know thats kind of a steep request, but that would really help me out. Thanks :thumbup:thumbup

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
I'm going with a 460 and I can't wait to start on it. Already got the transfer case, and I got a guy waiting on me to pick up the Transmission. 460's can handle so much. The stock crank alone can handle around 800hp. 460ford.com check it.

I'm gonna try and get mine in the 550hp/600tq. range. All on pump gas.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spec'd out my 460 to have 600+ hp (closer to 700+) but I got a little side tracked when I bought my bike. I was just a few days from buying the stroker kit. I was going to stroke it out to a 545 (.30 over).
Damn:shocked
Thats a little crazier than I wanna go, but go for it. That suckers gonna scream...

Anyone have an answer as to the ball park price difference between building the two???

·
Try it now!!
9,124 Posts
I've never had my truck inspected since I did my 460 swap. Florida didnt require them. Now that its in NC, I hear that you dont need an inspection, other than the safety inspection so engine is a non-issue. So theres 2 states it wont matter.

Check your laws in Texas.

To answer your other questions, definitely go with the 460. There is 0 reason not to. And if you think an extra 100 pounds of weight will actually matter, it wont. I weigh 170 pounds and when I sit on my hood, the springs dont compress anything noticeable. So the extra 100 pounds of the 460 is even less. I didnt (and wouldnt in the future) even account for the extra weight.

Big block performance parts are more expensive, because the small block parts are more available. I rebuilt my stock 460, bored 030 over, with a RV cam for 2000 dollars by a very reputable builder. Nothing fancy so I dont have gobs of power. But its extremely reliable, and with a little work it should really wake up (exhaust mostly).

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going with a 460 and I can't wait to start on it. Already got the transfer case, and I got a guy waiting on me to pick up the Transmission. 460's can handle so much. The stock crank alone can handle around 800hp. 460ford.com check it.

I'm gonna try and get mine in the 550hp/600tq. range. All on pump gas.
Hey, nice site. Thanks:thumbup

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Hey, nice site. Thanks:thumbup
Your gonna want to spend days and days reading as much as you can on this site. It's just about convinced to take the 460 .80 over. My block can handle up to .110 over. THAT FAWKIN RIDIC! To make the bore size 4.440in.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your gonna want to spend days and days reading as much as you can on this site. It's just about convinced to take the 460 .80 over. My block can handle up to .110 over. THAT FAWKIN RIDIC! To make the bore size 4.440in.
Dude, you're not kidding!! I've been going over it the last hour or so.....great site!:thumbup

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.