Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
What about 4 high, do use 4 high in the snow, or on muddy roads? then you don't want it locked at those speed, it eats tires.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
i run a ffront arb because trying to steer with a locked front end is a PITA in certain situations, plus it will add to the wear and tear when you dont need a front locker. i do a large portion of my 4 wheeling with the front open, and really oly lock it when needed. there is not really any reason you cant or shouldnt, but if you havent tried to steer a rig with a locker in the front, go try it out first before you buy

·
Lurker
617 Posts
You are right in that as long as your hubs are unlocked, you will not notice it. Back when I knew I was going to eventually go SAS, I welded the front diff. for shits and giggles. I broke the axle shaft on the first trip out and steering was awful. But I didn't learn my lesson and now have a Detroit on my front 60. I haven't driven it yet, so we shall see.

On a side note, before I broke the shaft, the locked front got me up and over just about everything I pointed it at.

·
Banned
22,024 Posts
Yeah, but on those rare occasions, you can just lock one hub and use 3WD - it won't eat tires, and will only affect steering slightly.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
yeah well, a buddy I wheel with has that set up and I always laugh everytime he gets out and unlocks a hub. i suppose it depends on your trails. Out here on the rubicon and dusy ershim, things are very tight and it is a PITA IMO

T

·
0 Posts
We always did the 3 wd thing also. It doesn't pull unless you are on slick enough roads for the tire to spin.
As long as you are hooked up, you can cook along at any speed you want.
We always locked the hub with the shortest shaft. On a Ford the driver side stays locked.

A locked front end is sweet as long as going sideways doesn't bother you, but hey sometimes you gotta have it.

·
Banned
22,024 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
3wd? Wouldn't it pull to one side teribly at speed????
No, like Traveler said: Speed has nothing to do with it. If all the tires are grabbing, then they're all pulling the truck along at (almost) the same speed, so it won't pull much if any. It's only when some of them LOSE traction that it might pull (depending on which ones slip & which ones grip), but of course... If they're gripping, shift to 2H until you need 3! ;)

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
IMO---Driving in 3wd is a PITA. Steering a front spooled/locked vehicle isn't that bad, IMO. From my experiences it's easier to drive w/ both front hubs locked in as opposed to one.

·
Full to Empty 6.5 Seconds
2,579 Posts
Wouldnt turning with a locked front be a PITA because the front tires want to keep goin forward even while being turned? Ive never tried the 3WD thing and its not that often that you hear someone mention 3 Wheel Dig on a 4x4 site.

P.S. Why does my bronco move faster when in 4L and 1st without the hubs being locked? I know it is geared low but how does it crawl like that when the hubs aren't locked?

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
The Yak said:
IMO---Driving in 3wd is a PITA. Steering a front spooled/locked vehicle isn't that bad, IMO. From my experiences it's easier to drive w/ both front hubs locked in as opposed to one.
my experience also.

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
78Bronco4x4 said:
P.S. Why does my bronco move faster when in 4L and 1st without the hubs being locked? I know it is geared low but how does it crawl like that when the hubs aren't locked?
Locking the hubs simply connects the "power" to the tires. Shifting the t-case into "4" send it the axle. Shifting into Low range simply adds additional gear reduction. So, regardless of your hubs, if you're in 4-lo, you're in 4-lo.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Locking any axle front or rear reduces steering ability. I have argued with several people on this issue and some day I will drive into an open field and measure turning radiuses, all open, rear locked and all 4 locked. Just a seat of the pants estimate is that the all open radius is about half or maybe even one third the radius of all locked. Just the rear locked is somewhere in the middle. I love selectable lockers. Last saturday we were driving our trucks down 4 wheel atv trails and with the hulk unlocked I could squirm between the trees better than most, all of the sudden the trail drops into a big washout with vertical sides, push the locker buttons crawl in and out, no drama. Selectable lockers cost but they are worth it. If you don't mind getting in and out of the truck to unlock a hub you will get the same effect, it's just a little more hastle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the 3 wheel drive method on the road would be really annoying at BEST......and dangerous in the right situation...when you start slidin', and NEED all the traction you can get (which is very little)....you try to "get it", and just the one front wheel grabs, jerks the steering wheel from your hand, and sends directly to the ditch....do not pass go...
not to mention....w/ a welded frontend in a fullsize truck w/ any real rubber to speak of under it....you're NOT going to be able to steer with both hubs locked.....w/o a juiced up pump, or hydro assist or something...

just pony up and buy a cheap lockrite or something....

--Berne

·
Full to Empty 6.5 Seconds
2,579 Posts
Ok answer this for me. When in 4 wheel dig, most of the power goes to the left front wheel right? When it starts slippin does the right front tire start turning? I cant remember the name of the company but someone makes a thing that looks like a locker but its not a locker, its a limited slip type of locker.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts