Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:whiteflag:banghead:whiteflag

ok working on a 87 fsb 302 motor.
story i was told was about 1 mnth ago truck was being driven and stalled. would not start back up.
this is what i found out 2nite.
1) truck has 36 psi of fuel key on engine off. (good)
2) truck has spark nice blue spark. (good)
3) truck has power at fuel pump relay. (good)
4) truck has power at eec relay (?) on all wires while cranking. (good)
5) truck wont fire even with starting fluid (bad)

gonna change the cap wires rotor and coil sunday. (hate working on vechiles not at my house)

this bronco is acting like mine did when it didnt fire on starting fluid, and the dealership found it to have a bad eec relay and plug. other then probing the wires while cranking the engine how else would i check it? and does the 87 even have a eec?

any suggestions? like i said i dont like working on vechiles that are not at my house. dont like the driving back and forth to work on the cars and then not knowing what parts to get.

:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag:whiteflag

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Are you getting spark at the spark plugs or just off the coil? There's a big difference. I'd test the wires' resistance individually with an ohmmeter (it should be <5000 ohms per foot).

Does the fuel pressure maintain at least that amount even while cranking? 36psig is borderline for calling it bad, imo.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
are the injectors firing?
i had a ranger that did the same thing, running down the road, stalled and wouldn't fire. i was pretty young then and didn't know much about ford efi. i threw parts at it with no improvement. eventually the battery went dead from cranking the engine, and i took it out to charge. when i reinstalled it, bam it fired! i never did figure that one out.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Was work done to it prior to it not running? If so, what?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
nothing was done to it to my knolage. its a friend of a friends fsb. i only know what i typed. just dont understand why not firing with starting fluid. and i have spark. blue spark is good right?
Blue spark = healthy spark.
Is it not even trying to start? I would start with the easy stuff, like check the firing order, then make sure the timing is correct, maybe the timing chain skipped a tooth. I don't think a compression test would be of any help, but if you tried everything else, it wouldn't hurt.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
yes it wont even try to start. and i dont think if the wires were run wrong or it jumped a tooth on the timing chain that it would not even try to start on starting fluid.
What do you mean by that? If the firing order is wrong or the timing chain jumped, I don't care what you are using to spray into the plenum, it aint gonna fire. Think about it, if the pistons were firing on the exhaust stroke, for example, how do you suggest that the motor will even be capable of trying to start?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
also noticed that when i try to start the truck i am only getting the battery light on the dash. shouldnt i also be gettting a check engine light also?
While you are cranking it over, I'm not sure. Does it come on when you turn the ignition on, without cranking it over? Even then I'm not sure, I would have to go out and check my truck, which i'm not, but I think it should go on with the ignition on

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Who cares what's on the dash...

If you say that you're getting good spark at the cylinders, and it won't fire on starting fluid AND you're getting confirmed injector firing; you're getting fire to the cylinders too far from the entry of fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would like to see the payoff on this thread. I got good spark down to the new spark plugs, but still will not fire with starter fluid. The bronc has been sitting for two years and really wanna bring it back to life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts