Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Does everything else on the truck stay powered up as well? (radio, heater, etc)
Did it get harder to start at the same time--had to turn the key just a bit farther?
When my 91 did that, it turned out to be the actuator that is behind the ignition lock--it moves the rod that moves the ignition lock.
The part is available at the dealer or places like autozone, but it's a pain in the butt to replace since you have to disassemble the column to change it

Hunt down a post from Steve83 and check out his Supermotors album--I think he has a exploded view of the column in there

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jimzbronc said:
Does everything else on the truck stay powered up as well? (radio, heater, etc)
nope.. that all turned off.

Did it get harder to start at the same time--had to turn the key just a bit farther?
turned on the same. no extra effort at all.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Are you talking about deiseling? That is a matter of getting higher octane fuel. If that is what you are talking about...wow, that isn't good for your motor.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
waltman said:
Are you talking about deiseling? That is a matter of getting higher octane fuel. If that is what you are talking about...wow, that isn't good for your motor.
glad u said it, same thing i was thinking

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a quick google search tells me that dieseling is when the engine will not turn off after the key is turned off. If so then thats what it was doing.. Another link also mentioned it being on but wanting to turn off, like when its running out of gas and it sputters but stays on.. If thats the definition of it then no, thats not what the truck was doing. It kept running normal as if the key was in and the truck was on. It shut down as i walked back outside and it didnt sound weird. sounded as if someone had turned it off normally but the damn keys were in my pocket...

a little more info. Im in the process of a e4od to c6 swap and i replaced the stock computer with that of a manual tranny mustang of the same year. (because of the MAF thing). the first time i fired it up it turned off just fine..

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
waltman said:

thats not possible.... the injectors shut off way before then. besides, its an electric fuel pump.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
If the truck is dieseling put it in drive and cut the motor off it will shut off like nomal then. From what he is explaining it isn't dieseling it is continueing to run.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Its pretty hard to diesel a FI engine, but it is possable. Raf, Id check the connections at that new ECM you put in, aswell as all the wiring you recently did.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it wasnt chugging though.. it was running as if the key was in and nothing out of the ordinary had happened. then it shut off 10 minutes later with the key in my pocket. didnt chug and turn off. just turned off as if i had turned it off..

like someone mentioned earlier (in another thread) maybe just maybe....

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
79F150 said:
Could it ba a stuck relay keeping power to the ignition system??? Has it done it more than once???:doh0715:
:thumbup
Steve83 said:
Your EEC PWR relay is sticking, and your FP relay probably isn't far behind it. Cut the sumbidges off & replace them with Bosch/ISO relays & sockets, available from anywhere - even Wal-Mart. Here's how.
:thumbup

1 - 20 of 36 Posts