Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the benifits of huge wide tires over narrower ones?

How well do narrow tires do in bad weather and 4x4ing?

My buddy told me to get some 8 to 10 ply tires marked E or D on the sidewall, what do you all think of these types of tires for a '94 EB that will stay stock but defenitly do a little 4x4ing?

Tony in Boise Udaho:beer

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Meats

I ran 38 12.5's on mine because the stock radius arms really hang up on anything
wider.
Im gonna go a little wider now after the SAS cause the RA are more out of the
way.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Get a 'C' rated tire. I went from a 31x10.50, to a 33x12.50. After the swap, it felt more stable on the highway, and performed better in most off-road conditions. On the downside, the 33's don't seem to do quite as well in the snow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I personally have seen many cases where my 35x14.5" tires absolutely DESTROY my friends with narrow tires, and occasionally I can even see an advantage over 12.50's. For example, saturated sod or crop residue, too-thin ice, and semi-solid snow will often support my vehicle (if I'm light on the throttle) when all the "narrow-school" guys are fighting (and breaking parts) for every inch of forward motion. I also love the appearance much more than narrow tires, for what that's worth. BUT, honestly, on a 90% street-driven Bronco, I think a 12.50 radial is the very best compromise for all-purpose use. Much less wandering and you miss more of the bumps on the road, yet there is still some flotation to be had.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I hate narrow tires

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
First, wide vs narrow and C/D/E rating are totally different subjects.

Most off road tires (not hauling a heavy load and needing some sidewall flex) tend to be C or D range.

wide or thin....Wide pushes (mud, sand, snow, anything in front of it) and so you need more power/gearing, and will reduce your mileage. Wide with offset creates havoc on wheelbearings. Wide weighs more and is more likely to break parts. Wide floatates better under certain conditions. And then the long argued wide creates less actual pressure contact on the ground vs. thin, thus making grip less even though there might be more surface area. Wide tire, means wider rim, again related to more weight, lower mileage. All in all, unless you have a sand buggy, wider is not better IMO. But to be fair, I prefer a taller thinner tire for the reasons stated (37x12.5 on 8 inch wheel)

·
Registered
983 Posts
it depends on driving conditions for width of tire. wider tires will increase surface area at all 4 corners, under conditions like serious mud or a lot of sand riding, wider tires should in theory help, as you would want to stay on top of the terrain as much as possible while also getting as many lugs to bite as you can, although going too wide can cause problems and traction loss.
narrow tires will do a lot better in snow and water provided you are driving on pavement, the narrow tire will have less surface tension and the tire will "sink" until it hits pavement, or anything that will provide traction and bites, or under the truck is sitting on the frame, depending how deep the snow/mud/sand/whatever is. also do a lot better in the rain because they don't tend to hydroplane as easy.
imo, if you're going to use your truck for strickly off road mudding, rock crawling, dunes or something along those lines, go with something wider. if you're going to be using the truck on the roads more than you will in the shit, you'll see better gas mileage, less wear on parts due to less rotating mass, and better traction with a narrower tire (on roads).

·
Registered
273 Posts
The whole idea in airing down your tires is to get more surface area of the tire to grab the ground. There are compromises in every decision. Wider tires will generally provide more traction and thinner tires will have less rolling resistance.

·
Registered
610 Posts
two schools of thought. Best option is to find people with both types, and see if they'll let you go for a drive. Watch the mud competitions...you've got the tall skinny tires sinking allthe way down to the solid dirt, slicing through the mud, and you've got the guys with the big wide tires skimming across it....figure out which feel you like best

i personally like my 10.5's. They've got enough surface area to get me the traction i need, but arent too wide and floaty. And i have less tire to avoid sharp rocks

·
Registered
82 Posts
this is all good info for the masses, can anyone post pics of a Bronco with 38x12.50's , I can get a good deal on a set but I'm afraid they maybe too skinny for what I'm looking for, so pics would help, anyone got 37X14.00?

sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
-

My avatar should give you an idea. Those are 38/12.5/15

·
Registered
82 Posts
avatar is a little small to see, but does give me some idea.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
i have 35x15.5x15 swamper tsl sx on 12 wide wheels if i can get my usb port to work tomorrow i will post a pic, only prob i have is at full lock the bumper touches a bit with 6 inch lift. will be putting on 2 inch body that should do the trick. by the way i love these tires.:beer :drinkbud

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
hey low, they arent 38s they are 36s but they are 36x12.5x15 so it is an idea...all pics are with a 4" suspension lift with 10" wide wheel....and no rubbing on the RAs

before the trimming and paint

no good flex shots of before...not enough clearence in the fenders, but its what i got

and as a reference 31x10.5x15

im so bored...i need to get to work on the computer i am suppose to be building

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I got 16" wide boggers on 12" wide rims. They rub like a bastard on the radius arms at full lock. They also don't tuck in the wheel well at full stuff like a 12.5" tire, they just rub the hell out of the fenders. They look killer though, and help in the mud and snow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
sweet pics, keep em coming!

·
Registered
91 Posts
smileybry said:
two schools of thought. Best option is to find people with both types, and see if they'll let you go for a drive. Watch the mud competitions...
Mud happens to be one of the condition where wide tires can really shine. I have 245/75R16s, and as you can guess if there's a mud on the road, I'll usually just drive around. ;) That size serves me well on forestry roads, BTW.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts