Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking into getting a FSB for construction stuff. How big is the cargo area with the rear seat removed?

I need to know how wide the floor is between the wheel wells. Will a 4' x ... plywood / drywall sheet fit back there? and how far does it stick out the back?
How long is the cargo area from the rear of the front seats to the back door while closed?

Also,

what should i be looking for / expecting when looking for a FSB? leaks from certain areas, replacement / maintenace records, etc....

Thank you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
this is from automotive.com for a 96. should be the same for all 80-96
I converted them from MM to inches for you.
Cargo area dimensions: length: 62 inches and width between arches 50iches

This is basically "bed" space..if you imagine the back being a pickup bed with the top off.
Cargo capacity: rear seat up; to lower window: 50 CuFT, rear seat down; to lower window (liters): 79 CuFt and all seats in place (liters): 50 CuFT

so it looks like some 4x plywood will fit. Also note that if you take the spare tire carrier off (or get the one that doesnt have it) you can drive it with the tailgate down. I've toyed with the idea of one of those bed extenders for the f150s (a tube cage that folds out and cages off the tailgate) Or if you wanted to drive with the gate closed, you could put some 4x whatever length plywood hanging out the back window (driving with the window down, red flag tied on).

Basically you're space is going to be the same as an f150 pickup bed from the same years. Just your length is limited if the tailgate is closed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great reply.

I am doing an addition on my house so it will be from just time to time when I need the 4' wide area, but it will be handy when needed. Also will be using it for camping so i can sleep in the back without having to setup a tent.

I like the bronco because of the removeable top.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
610 Posts
right on. do a search for Sixlitre on here. He's got a killer setup with a tailgate tent on his. (you cant technically use the tailgate tents because the FSB doesnt have the window that lifts up like on a truck cap..he improvised a solution). If you run into something that's too big during your project, rent a trailer from uhaul..its like 9.95

·
Banned
11,499 Posts
You can carry ~6 full sheets of 3/4" plywood if you remove the back seat (completely) & rest them on the top of the t/g (or spare if you have a swingaway), but the window won't go up. You can carry 10 2x6x10s inside with everything closed & the windows up (in the rain).

On the roof with a stock 4-door Explorer roof rack cut down ~10", you can carry ~20 2x8x16s, or ~60 metal studs & tracks up to 20' long. All of that assumes that you understand how to distribute the load AND secure it to the roof.

Mine did 4 years of commercial construction duty making quick runs for materials & I usually didn't have enough need for a trailer, so I found out exactly what I could haul just on the truck. :D Sometimes, I had to put a MAJOR load up there...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts