Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I started my '87 and after it started, the starter stayed engaged. So I turned the ignition off and removed the key and the truck was no longer running but it continued to crank and crank and crank. I scrambled around for a wrench and unhooked my negative cable which obviousely stopped the cranking. Hooked it back up and for the last 10 starts or so its been fine. It happened to my wife a couple weeks ago and toasted the starter so I replaced it. Also last month I had the ignition apart to replace the broken ignition rod in the column and threw in a new lock cylinder. Any ideas on what could cause this? Maybe replace the fender mounted relay or am I gonna have to crack the ignition back open? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
"Search" Starter Freak Out. Check/replace the starter relay on the passenger side fender well and check all grounds and voltage etc. I had the same thing on my 86 and it fried to relays so I had to replace the starter and relay and all is fine now.

It's a real PITA.

:enforce

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I was also leaning towards the relay being screwed so, I'll throw a new one in tonight. Think I'll still keep my 1/2" wrench handy for the battery cable for a while just in case! Man, talk about an embarrasing and helpless feeling! Later!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update:

well after a 7 week absence the problem has returned :cry The first time it did it today was the same as before, started, continued to crank, turned key off and removed, continued to crank, scrambled around like an idiot for my wrench, popped the hood and unhooked negative battery cable, waited a minute or two while cussing uncontrollably, hooked battery back up, fired up as normal. The 2nd time was the same as above except on my way around the truck to pop the hood it decided to stop cranking, again fired right up as normal. So, I have a new starter and fender mounted relay so maybe it is the ignition switch at the base of the column? Not sure because I would think if that was the case, it wouldn't reset itself after a minute or so. What do yall think? maybe I got a crappy relay, it was some brand I haven't heard of (can't tell right now 'cause I'm at work.) If any ideas, please chime in!

Jason

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
To rule out the your ignition switch and the rest of your ignition system, unhook the small trigger wire on the relay, the next time this happens.

If it continues to crank, you have another sticking relay. Probably just a cheap one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kf4amu said:
To rule out the your ignition switch and the rest of your ignition system, unhook the small trigger wire on the relay, the next time this happens.

If it continues to crank, you have another sticking relay. Probably just a cheap one.
Thanx alot, I'll try that, maybe dumb but the small trigger wire is the one with the 90 degree boot that presses on right?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
oregonian said:
Thanx alot, I'll try that, maybe dumb but the small trigger wire is the one with the 90 degree boot that presses on right?
Yeah. The "small" one ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another wierd question. How many volts are you working with? Iv seen some setups that use 2 batteries in sequence for 24 volts. Over voltage can cause some relays to stick, since thay are nothing but an elctromagnet aith contacts in them.

Post back with any results you get.

Kyle

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
didn't forget about this thread, it just took all the way up 'til today to repeat the problem. I unhooked the small wire and it stopped the cranking. Hooked it back up and started as normal. So, I guess I have a problem somewhere in the column or maybe ignition switch itself. I would think this would be more of a mechanical sticking and not electrical so still baffled as to why it would reset itself after killing power. Anyways, I may try tri-flowing all the linkages and such and see if it happens some more. If any other ideas feel free to post 'em up!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanx steve, if you can't remember than its probably a pretty rare problem. In the morning I'll recheck the wiring at the relay and make sure its right. This is really a drag 'cause it happens so rarely , but it does seem to happen more if it has been recently driven. I have also noticed that occasionally I will be cranking and it wait to fire 'til I let off the key, which is when it decides to fire. not sure if that makes sence or not but its the only way I can describe it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve83 said:
Have you checked the actuators inside the column between the lock cylinder & the ig.sw.? They're famous for cracking on cruise/tilt columns. There's a recent writeup about them in that forum.
if your talking about this actuator:

yes, I replaced it a while back. a few weeks after fixing this is when the problems started. but still, sticking is few and far between. Maybe just replace the ignition switch to be safe? Or is there something else I should look at?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,568 Posts
Okay, a couple items. First, get a 12V test light (cheap @ Harbor Freight or
other tool place) and when the drive is engaged, pull the "little" wire (red/blue
stripe) and check for voltage. If there, the next step is to drop the column,
unbolt the switch, set in the "off" position (locked or unlocked) and check for
12V; power there means a new switch is in order. No power means resetting the switch position. Hope that helps, and good luck!

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
lol, I remember when that happened to me on my old '86. I had boughten a '93 ranger 4x4 to use as a DD, and I was going to park the '86 and slowly work on it... It had always ran and started fine... Never a problem, till the day I bought the ranger and brought it home, Went to start the bronco to put it in the backyard, and that's when it happened. I had no tools handy or anything, I had to run all the way to the garage, run back, pop the hood... by that time there was smoke rolling out from the hood, I finally got it diconnected, but the starter was fried, solenoid was fried, as well as the battery cables had been melted quite a bit!

Aaron

P.S. I believe in my case, it was the solenoid, not surprisingly, because that truck had gone through about 5 while I had it! Then, so did the Ranger, lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Next time it happens try putting it in reverse or drive and see if it quits turning over. If it is in the switch I would think it should stop turning over if the nss is working. Just a thought.

Steve

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
...Ya know... I never did think of that. That definently would be a good try.

Thankfully, I don't think my '92 will do that anytime soon.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts