Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 XLT. Installed a Wilco Off Road Offset Tire Carrier today. ((NEW) Hitchgate™ Offset). It has a license plate re-locator with a light. I ran out of daylight as I started to fumble with it. I need to splice three wires to another source, tail or 3rd brake light. Just looking for the easiest option. This is my 2nd 90s FSB but I have never pulled a top. Hoping that maybe someone has done one of these or had to splice into the running lights for another reason and can suggest the best access point. I'm pretty good with hanging parts and basic maintenance but electrical has always been my weakness. I found a lot of discussion on the forum about the Hitchgate product but none on wiring. I can confirm that it clears a 33' with the tailgate down no problem if anyone is curious. Just make sure you get the Right not Left offset or you may cover your rear window key hole.

Thanks.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,231 Posts
Under the bed and behind the bumper you can access both tail light connectors
& the Trailer lighting connector also.

If you absolutely have to get at the 3rd light harness you "could" run all the way back to driver side & up through the driver side tailgate pillar (behind tail light) the thru the bulkhead to Interior & get at the 3rd light & cargo light harness.
(Long wire run)

Either way, Good Luck.
Dragon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate it White Dragon. I decided to wire it to a 4 pin trailer harness and just use a splitter if I actually do tow anything so that I don't need to dig into the rig wiring and potentially have to undo it if I pull the carrier for any reason. And yeah Travis, it is definitely not cheap. Went with the Wilco because I can just pull it off and sell it if I need to, no mods to my FSB. The truck is very straight, only 87k miles and I didn't want to modify it. I need to carry a 33 and this seemed like the best option. The Bronco specific bumpers with tire carry actually seem to cost more than this rig and the Wilco will have a wider customer base for resell. Lots of built 4Runners where I live.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,486 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts