Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im debating between 44 inch hawgs or 42 inch swampers.
Should I have any problems with the hawgs rubbing my RA's (cage offroad) at full turn with 12 wide wheels?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,612 Posts
44's are 18.5" wide your going to need a back spacing of 2.5" to kick them out but still at full lock its going to rub no way of getting around it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,109 Posts
They'll most likely hit the firewall before they hit the radius arms, and no, I'm not kidding. Turning the other direction they'll hit the radiator support body mount first.
 

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
Joined
·
6,012 Posts
Larston said:
They'll most likely hit the firewall before they hit the radius arms, and no, I'm not kidding. Turning the other direction they'll hit the radiator support body mount first.
remember he already has 10 inches of lift and is going for more... so his situation is a little dif than yours
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I only have half tons now
Im going to keep the 44 in the front and beef it up a bit
but the rear will be swapped out for a sterling or a 14 bolt later

I have two wheeling trucks, this one is just for cruising around on the sand,
probley will rarely even be in 4 wheel, so im not really concerned with the axles
I hate to say it but it will be mostley for show.......

but I should have roughly 14 inches of suspention lift and a 3 inch body, so the only thing im concerned about it the tires rubbing the RA's

should getting 14 wide wheels make a difference?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,612 Posts
imo the biggest id run with a d44 with warn shafts and ctm's are 40's and thats pushing it. 44's will literally break knuckles on a d44
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a friend of mine has been running 44" boggers on a SAS'd toy with a d44 for a couple years and has never had a problem
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,109 Posts
I still bet the tire on one side will hit the front body mount before the other hits the radius arms.

On my D60, the stop screws would turn out enough to keep the tires off the frame, but I lost a lot of turning radius. I doubt even 10" of lift will change that much.
 

·
Dead Horse
Joined
·
5,931 Posts
kevinj said:
a friend of mine has been running 44" boggers on a SAS'd toy with a d44 for a couple years and has never had a problem
toyota- light vehicle
bronco- heavy
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,025 Posts
kevinj said:
yes I only have half tons now
Im going to keep the 44 in the front and beef it up a bit
but the rear will be swapped out for a sterling or a 14 bolt later

I have two wheeling trucks, this one is just for cruising around on the sand,
probley will rarely even be in 4 wheel, so im not really concerned with the axles
I hate to say it but it will be mostley for show.......

but I should have roughly 14 inches of suspention lift and a 3 inch body, so the only thing im concerned about it the tires rubbing the RA's

should getting 14 wide wheels make a difference?
So you don't mind getting laughed at? When folks..be they off road fanatics, or even on road sensible people, point out all the goofy stuff with your truck? Monster tires, even more monster lift, too weak of axles for the tires, then what? no lockers for actual use, a true mall prowler? Will this even be street legal? To each his own, but if this truck isn't going to meet Oregon legal highway requirements, I hope you run into major law enforcement issues.

And he worries about rubbing radius arms......:doh0715:
Is there a comedy forum on this board? I hate slammin' people but this just sounds like the silly azz post of the month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
hey man, why is it silly? me of all people shouldnt be posting about a 4x4 since i dont even own one, but if he likes it then why fight him on it. keep 40's and cromo and ctms for the front and you should be fine if its open. get a sterling with a detroit and go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shadofax said:
So you don't mind getting laughed at? When folks..be they off road fanatics, or even on road sensible people, point out all the goofy stuff with your truck? Monster tires, even more monster lift, too weak of axles for the tires, then what? no lockers for actual use, a true mall prowler? Will this even be street legal? To each his own, but if this truck isn't going to meet Oregon legal highway requirements, I hope you run into major law enforcement issues.

And he worries about rubbing radius arms......:doh0715:
Is there a comedy forum on this board? I hate slammin' people but this just sounds like the silly azz post of the month.
I honestly dont know why anyone would laugh at me, or what would be goofy on my truck?
As I stated above this isnt going to be a hard core off road rig, its basicly just for show,and light use on the sand, I have 2 wheeling trucks I dont need a third, and is there anything wrong with enjoying driving a lifted truck?
Half ton axles will hold up just fine for daily driving untill I replace the 8.8 with a sterling or 14 bolt.

I completely aware of the above issues and Im glad you could highlight them ever so suddely for me and everyone else to read.

thank you, kevin
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,109 Posts
Shadofax said:
So you don't mind getting laughed at? When folks..be they off road fanatics, or even on road sensible people, point out all the goofy stuff with your truck? Monster tires, even more monster lift, too weak of axles for the tires, then what? no lockers for actual use, a true mall prowler? Will this even be street legal? To each his own, but if this truck isn't going to meet Oregon legal highway requirements, I hope you run into major law enforcement issues.

And he worries about rubbing radius arms......:doh0715:
Is there a comedy forum on this board? I hate slammin' people but this just sounds like the silly azz post of the month.
If the guy wants a mall crawler or show only vehicle, what do you care? Kinda harsh to wish ill will on him. If he builds it bad, and people laugh at him or the truck breaks, he will have learned and he'll fix it. What the hell? I've seen plenty of street trucks that do just fine with "bad builds" and mismatched components. Not something I'd ever own, but my priorities are different.

Perhaps it shouldn't be your job to slam people :popc1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,386 Posts
Larston said:
If the guy wants a mall crawler or show only vehicle, what do you care? Kinda harsh to wish ill will on him. If he builds it bad, and people laugh at him or the truck breaks, he will have learned and he'll fix it. What the hell? I've seen plenty of street trucks that do just fine with "bad builds" and mismatched components. Not something I'd ever own, but my priorities are different.

Perhaps it shouldn't be your job to slam people :popc1:
+1

He's not the first to put a big heavy truck on weak ass axles. You can flip thru any of the Fourwheeler or Petersen's mags and see it all day long.

We all dont come to this site with the same intentions for our rigs.

Come down off the high horse for a little while.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top