Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if i could hook up a E4OD tranny on my 86 bronco it ras a
351w with a 3 speed tranny in it right now, it is also 4x4. i was just wondering because i want better gas milage

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,917 Posts
1st. Visit the Introductions forum and introduce yourself!

2nd. Yes but you will need a new trans crossmember, a standalone controller for the tranny and new driveshafts.

It would be a lot easier to swap to an AOD, which just requires a throttle valve (TV) cable be installed instead of the kickdown for the C6 you have now. You can get one of those from Lokar that hooks up to your carburettor. You will also need to order a flexplate (flywheel) for an 87 Crown Victoria with a 351W and an AOD since the Bronco never came with this combination. I am running a 351W and an AOD now and I love it. This setup uses the same crossmember, driveshafts, shifter, etc. as the C6 you have now. Very straightforward install.

P.S. Every Bronco ever produced by Ford Motor Company in the USA is 4x4. Only converted Broncos are 4x2.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
an AOD ain't gonna get you much better mileage. unless you run on the highway all the time. and that won't even be much. the savings in fuel will never surpass the amount of money spent on the swap. if you want better mileage, search for sixlitre's ignition upgrades, its easy to find.

also, Seafoam the crap out of it. sorry, but, these things are gas hogs, no way around it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone done a real world analysis of the fuel milage gains before and after C6 to E4OD/AOD Swap?

I too am considering such a swap, but am looking primarily at the E4OD only since it is a HD trans while the AOD is light duty, although I don't do any towing with the bronco, so the AOD may suffice and is certainly easier to neccessitate.

~Jeff

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have to disagree, the benefits of having an overdrive are limitless. Even if it is 1-3 mpgs more (which I am sure it is as a minimum) when you're talking 10-12 mpg's to start with, that's a 10-30% gain, and you can't deny that.

as well, an overdrive trans will allow you to really gear it up, 4.56's, 4.88's, etc.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Not to mention the reduction in engine wear by reducing the rotational speed. :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
I asked here a while ago and people told me that there is no way to get an AOD behind a 351w, why is that, I want to know because if by some chance my E4OD goes I still want OD, but I don't need a heavy duty trans, I just need some thing with overdrive for highway until I get my C6. This is very confusing can anybody clear this up for me? And I know that was a big runon but I don't care I'm not in school. Thanks

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
chevysuck said:
I asked here a while ago and people told me that there is no way to get an AOD behind a 351w, why is that, I want to know because if by some chance my E4OD goes I still want OD, but I don't need a heavy duty trans, I just need some thing with overdrive for highway until I get my C6. This is very confusing can anybody clear this up for me? And I know that was a big runon but I don't care I'm not in school. Thanks

clarko just ran you through everything you'll need to make an aod work. Whoever told u they won't work, doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'm not sure, but I believe you may need an aod for a 4x4, not from a mustang, maybe clarko can clear that up.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You can run any transmission you want (within reason). It's just a matter of finding the correct flexplate, microcontroller (if necessary), and adapter (again, if necessary). I sure wouldn't put an old factory-stock AOD behind a 351, but with some relatively minor upgrades, it should live a good long life.

·
Registered
809 Posts
i have an aod behind my 351... but the ordeal with the mechanic... (shudders in horror) 6 months of hell

·
Registered
961 Posts
I understand that a stock AOD might have some problems but I would imagine if I find all the rightparts for the hook up it will probably be alot cheaper that a new E4OD with the upgrades and things even if I have to tweak the AOD, correct?

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,917 Posts
An AOD can be built to withstand 1000+ Horsepower. I am running THE EXACT SAME AOD that was behind my old 302!!! So far 11K miles on the Engine and 145K on the Tranny. The one the factory put in behind the 302! I have no problems and I DO TOW a fair amount! I tow car trailers and junk like that with cars on them and did it with both my 302 and my 351. My AOD works awesome. The AOD has a lot of upgrade parts for it. My buddy has a 600 hp Mustang that has a built AOD in it and including a new T/C, shift kit, etc, etc. and a core charge. Total cost to him: $900. E4ODs cost more than that for a decent rebuild. AODs also have a higher overdrive (.67:1) than an E4OD (.71:1) so if you're spinning 3K RPMs on the freeway with a C6, you'll be doing 2K with an AOD.

Hey Chevysuck: That is correct. Whoever said that is a dumbf*ck. Me, Gacknar, Kemical Burns, etc. are running that combo.

Also, like v8only said, get an AOD from a 4x4 Truck, it's just so much easier than having to change the tailshaft and the valve body and such to make it work in a 4x4.

·
Registered
961 Posts
So will I need new driveshafts if I go with the AOD, because if the E4OD goes it lookes like I will be going with the AOD.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,917 Posts
Yes, If you go from the E4OD to an AOD, you'll need different driveshafts and to move the trans crossmember. Also, the t-case shift linkage is different if you have a manual t-case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts