Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 130A 3G for my bronc off of eBay.
now i'm wondering that since it's not stock, whether or not it'll catch anything on fire

tell me why or why not

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Um...it shouldn't, because if you wire it correctly and it's a working part, it's designed to maintain system power and battery charge.

If this is for your 1995MY, then you have nothing to worry about. I was under the assumption you were replacing a 2G alternator. Now THOSE alternators are fire-starters no matter what. But your situation is this: replacing a 95A with a 130A, right? NO PROBLEM. Did it myself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Story #35 Alternator. While moving the truck in the driveway (lucky it happened at home), I see smoke pouring out from under the hood, I thought: steam/radiator. I shut the engine off and it was still pouring white smoke like hell. Opened the hood to see the Alt. burning up, no flames but hot, hot. I happened to have some wrenches handy, so I disconnected the battery, it did not stop smoking. I ran to get the small fire extinguisher. But as I was about to shoot it, the smoke slowed. Later I pulled it out, a great deal of damage; the melted and burnt wires! My answer is: Yes, it could burn up and burn up the truck, but the chance of this happening is rare...happened to me though. I am now keeping a fire extinguisher in the truck, hope I never need it.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Pete, Are you talking about a 2g or the 130 amp 3g ? just to clarify-

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I have an Auto Zone 95 amp alternator in mine, and I replaced the alternator plug too. Is this combination still prone to catching fire? Or are the OEM Ford Alternators the problem?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Dave, I wouldn't trust it if it were my rig. The design is just a disaster waiting to happen, IMO, and I've put out WAY too many fires started by them to even consider a new plug design an adequate safety measure. They've tried using better-quality (brass) plug terminals, and wider output terminal blades. But the crux of the problem is, and always has been, the heat cycling and corrosion, causing the plug to loosen and the connection to be poor.

That said, there are many here that will disagree with me, and they're running a 2G right now without any problems. I still offer the evidence of numerous Fords going up in flames because of the 2G design, and there is no valid argument against the 3G's superiority, especially with regard to the battery terminal. When one considers the cost differential, which today is little to nothing in most cases, it's not worth the risk of fire. It's not difficult to find a 3G that will fit in the 2G's place, and the wiring change is almost nothing. IIRC, the bracket may need some minor grinding to clear the casing, but that can be accomplished with a Dremel very quickly.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
:doh0715: Oh... so this is just a rebuilt 2G alternator? I keep forgetting that Auto Parts stores just rebuild OEM parts. That is a PITA to hardwire in something that is not originally meant for the vehicle, but I wreckon there is a good write up here on FSB Forums to direct me. I suppose I should do it, since my Bronco is garaged most of the time.:toothless

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Um...it shouldn't, because if you wire it correctly and it's a working part, it's designed to maintain system power and battery charge.

If this is for your 1995MY, then you have nothing to worry about. I was under the assumption you were replacing a 2G alternator. Now THOSE alternators are fire-starters no matter what. But your situation is this: replacing a 95A with a 130A, right? NO PROBLEM. Did it myself.
ok so i'm safe since my truck originally came with a 3G, albeit a smaller one?
how much risk is it to not go to a 2ga charge wire and larger megafuse?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Yes, you'll be fine.

You don't need the larger wire unless you're going to be demanding 130A continuously. Larger wire is only necessary in that circumstance because of the heat generated (actually, it's the ampacity issue and related stuff, but that's a simplistic way of looking at it). But looking at it on an intermittent peak-amperage basis, which probably 99.9% of us encounter 99% of the time, it's plenty.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm using a 130A 3G with the factory wiring, and I've never burned a single fuse or fusible link, even with underdrive pulleys, low speed pulling in winter with the brights on & blower on high with defrost going. :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, you'll be fine.

You don't need the larger wire unless you're going to be demanding 130A continuously. Larger wire is only necessary in that circumstance because of the heat generated (actually, it's the ampacity issue and related stuff, but that's a simplistic way of looking at it). But looking at it on an intermittent peak-amperage basis, which probably 99.9% of us encounter 99% of the time, it's plenty.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm using a 130A 3G with the factory wiring, and I've never burned a single fuse or fusible link, even with underdrive pulleys, low speed pulling in winter with the brights on & blower on high with defrost going. :D
strangely that does make me feel better :thumbup
continuous power or not, would the larger cable be safer?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Yep, the one designed for the swing bracket. :thumbup

Stock equipment for 1994-95 Mustang GTs, IIRC.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so under stock conditions, no extra lights, sound, etc..i AM safe with the stock setup? i think if i tried to wire something new in i'd mess it up somehow. This is my DD and i don't want to f*ck it up

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
You're over-thinking it. ;) Just put it on.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
so under stock conditions, no extra lights, sound, etc..i AM safe with the stock setup? i think if i tried to wire something new in i'd mess it up somehow. This is my DD and i don't want to f*ck it up
No. I understand Sig's point of view, but disagree with him. Bottom line is this; you have a safety concern. You know that the right thing to do is upgrade to a 2 ga alternator output cable. So do it. It's not that expensive, and it'll let you sleep better at night. Can you get by with the stock cable? Probably. But it's just not rated for the job, so replace it. That 2 ga cable is a lot cheaper than an under hood fire.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're over-thinking it. ;) Just put it on.
haha i did last saturday

No. I understand Sig's point of view, but disagree with him. Bottom line is this; you have a safety concern. You know that the right thing to do is upgrade to a 2 ga alternator output cable. So do it. It's not that expensive, and it'll let you sleep better at night. Can you get by with the stock cable? Probably. But it's just not rated for the job, so replace it. That 2 ga cable is a lot cheaper than an under hood fire.
but i got scared and took it back off :banghead
now i have some 2 ga cable and need to pick up a fuse and whatnot but finals have me too occupied right now :barf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts