Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a pair of complete axles. They are a dana 44 front and ford 9" rear. I can get the pair for $200.00 I am wanting to put them into my 95 bronco. will these work. I have been wating to put 37 " tires on it so bad but the darn TTB sucks. I work at All4Perfomance in Longmont, CO and thats right down the street from Crane High clearance. so i can have them build me some dana 60 inner and outer knuckles for the front. also put one of their bad a$$ diff covers on it. But I want to know whats the max size tire for the 9"

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
The main thing you will run into is that on a '95 your speedo is operated by the rearend and a 9 inch won't do this. So you'll have to say to hell with it (if it's trail only) or put in an aftermarket speedo...:shrug

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
its more than just the speedo thats operated by the VSS Blaze. the VSS tells the E4OD when to shift. you can't just put in an aftermarket speedo and call it good.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
mechanically, the 9" is pretty much a bolt on. AFAIK, you will need a new driveshaft or a 1310/1330 crossover U joint. newbronc has done the swap and can give you more info.

since you have the VSS in the rearend, you will either need to modify your 9" like stoked said, or you could just keep your 8.8 and save up for a 10.25, since those also have the VSS you would need. the VSS helps your computer tell the tranny when to shift, and its supposed to have some control over your engine as well, but that has been debated. the 9" is a great axle, but the limiting factor for you is the VSS, so in reality you may not be able to run a 9", unless you custom graft a VSS ring into it.

as far as the strength of the 9", the shafts are the same size as a 8.8, but you don't have to worry about c-clips and the ring/pinion/carrier/housing is by far stronger.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Blaze said:
The main thing you will run into is that on a '95 your speedo is operated by the rearend and a 9 inch won't do this. So you'll have to say to hell with it (if it's trail only) or put in an aftermarket speedo...:shrug
DAmn iwasn't even thinking about the tranny...:duh Long night :banghead

1 - 11 of 11 Posts