Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am switching to a carb and I want to put a set of stock rebuilt heads on my stock 94 351. The heads came off a 80's 351, will these work on a stock 94 351 short block? I don't know much about small block heads and what the differences are. I have always had big blocks in the past for mud racing, I'm new to a small block. I also want to put the biggest cam and carb the stock 351 can handle. Any suggestion what size cam and carb I should go with? I have money but I want to keep this project low budget, and where is the best place to buy the parts cheap?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all stock 351 heads will fit all stock 351 blocks. There are difference from head to head in terms of flow but I *think* you're OK for interference. In fact 302 heads will fit the 351 and are used as a performance mod.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all stock 351 heads will fit all stock 351 blocks. There are difference from head to head in terms of flow but I *think* you're OK for interference. In fact 302 heads will fit the 351 and are used as a performance mod. Why not use a stock cam with stock heads? You could RV cam it if you wanted a bit more low end. I would think any 650 cfm carb would be adequate but what carb/cam you used depends a bit on what you want to do with the truck. You'll also have to think about what you want for an intake. I've got a 650 cfm Edlebrock street performer intake/carb set-up that's somewhat reasonable on fuel - all on my 85 Full Size.
Thanks for the response, just like you said my concern is the flow/combustion chamber wondering if the air flow would drop or possible lower the compression. I'll try them and see how they work. As far as the cam, I meant to say I want to step up alittle other then stock. I'll check into the different RV cam kits. If anybody has a good aluminum intake for sale please let me know. As far as the carb, I'll post back once I figure out what cam I go with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you'll have to watch the valve springs if yours is a roller cam. Why go to carb?
I was kind of thinking the same thing - I might convert to EFI for a bunch of reasons. I've read that, theoretically, you can generate more power from a carb'd set up but you basically have to be at the Drag level so apart from that, I can't think of a good reason to run a carb set-up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you'll have to watch the valve springs if yours is a roller cam. Why go to carb?
This motor that I want to use for the time being has a ton of miles on it so I want to freshen the top end. And since its down to the short block, I would rather go back to the simplicity of a carb and get rid of all the electronic BS for the ease of working on it and tuning down the road. It is simply going to be a summer cruizer and its going to the SL sand dunes often. We might put 3,000 mi. on in the summer.

Honestly I have not had the heads redone yet and it does have roller lifters. Do you think if I set it up with the same springs as the 95 heads i'll be ok? Or does it all depend on the cam I use? I wouldn't think a RV cam would have that much more lift would it?

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
I would be more concerned with getting my truck to crank up & drive with that e4od after swapping to a carburetor. Because if you think you can just crank up & drive... you can't.

Honestly, running non E7TE heads and a carb, the sky is your limit as far as cam profile and LSA. You are not limited to the typical 114° LSA that everyone else is. You will NOT manage any kind of fuel economy, and your powerband will float up a few thousand RPM's.

If you're looking for basic head/cam combos just search around a little bit. If it were me, I would probably run a set of Patriot Performance heads with an aggressive cam, moderate midrange power grind, and a low rpm intake.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be more concerned with getting my truck to crank up & drive with that e4od after swapping to a carburetor. Because if you think you can just crank up & drive... you can't.

Honestly, running non E7TE heads and a carb, the sky is your limit as far as cam profile and LSA. You are not limited to the typical 114° LSA that everyone else is. You will NOT manage any kind of fuel economy, and your powerband will float up a few thousand RPM's.

If you're looking for basic head/cam combos just search around a little bit. If it were me, I would probably run a set of Patriot Performance heads with an aggressive cam, moderate midrange power grind, and a low rpm intake.
I am actually going old school on everything. I'm swapping over to a C6, 9", and a 1345 TC. I would like to use the heads I have because I have them with no expence and I want to keep the price down on this motor because I will have a motor built with alot of HP to swap in down the road. Can I treat these 80's heads like the ones I took of the 94 block? I do realize I may have to get different push rods but my thought is a small block head is a small block head right? My biggest concern is the cam and the lift and if I may run into issues of coil bind but but the rocker ratio's should all be the same right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts