Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need you guys who are much more nerdie than me.

Was working on the CIO's computer here and noticed when I used the scroll bar in task manager, the task manager itself would jump up to 80+ % of the processor.

Hadn't seen this before in 22 years of geekieness. Next to impossible to search on google as the phrases 'task manager' 'problem' ect. brings up every suggestion of using task manager to locate any other issue ever put on the net.

Any thoughts would be appriciated

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
does it immediately fall back down, or does it hold at 80%?

click the "processes" tab in the task manager to see whats running, it sounds like he has something running in the backgroung

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It immediately falls back down when you stop moving the scrollbar.
'task manager' is the process thats taking all the %

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
they all do that.

every computer i have ever run and worked on spikes when you bring up task manager.

if i leave task manager open, grab the scroll bar in FSB and move it up and down it spikes at about 18%.

Is it a stand alone computer? or is it on a network?

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I need to clarify.

When you look at the processes in task manager, 'task manager' is one of them. While looking at the processes, if you move task manager's own scroll bar, the process 'task manager' jumps to 80+ %.

Usually I'll only see 3-4% for the 'task manager' process, even when moving the scroll bar, but this one system goes way up.

Does that make more sense?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Does it do it onl under his account or all?

Does it do it in safe mode?

If it acts normally under another account or in safe mode double check drivers (especially video) and for spyware.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
On my parents machine I can make iexplorer spike over 85% with the scroll wheel, but taskmgr stays at 0%
:shrug

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On this machine I can make iexplorer spike over 75% with the scroll wheel, but taskmgr stays at 0%
ah, but close IE and everything else, then bring up taskmanager & see if you can hit 80%.

No viruses found on the system & nothing is broken, I've just never seen the task manager scrollbar cause that kind of a spike before

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I get a large spike in IE7 WinXP when scrolling. It's just the video refresh. Nothing to worry about. It can be the screen resolution, refresh rate, colors displayed.

Built in video cards tend to use shared memory which will use more resources to redraw the screen.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
On my personal machine I can make iexplorer spikes to 45% with the scroll wheel, but taskmgr stays at 2%
ah, but close IE and everything else, then bring up taskmanager & see if you can hit 80%.
Did that and everything totaled adds up to only 2%

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I'd bet it's just a glitch in the drivers, and during the refresh, it's going into a loop and drawing up a ton of resources for nothing.

I get the same effect in shareaza, when I stretch certain bars, each pixel movement of a bar causes every function going on to make an active refresh, so you see stuff like the bandwidth rate change with every movement of the bar, even though it should only be refreshing once every two seconds.

During that, it'll drive the load from 8-12% to 92%. It's just something funky with a driver and the programming. For you, it happens to be taskman.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts