Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is has anyone mounted a winch behind the stock bumper? I got a Jeep XJ for my DD and it came with a warn winch. I want to put it on the bronco but cant afford a new bumper. could I get a peice of steel and bolt it to the frame rails behind the front bumper?

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i asked about this for our body style, nobody seemed to know of any
bossind and a couple peeps have done it for the 92-6 bumper though
also what size is it? may be too small for self recovery of the bronco

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
this is what i was thinking about.

1/4" flat steel would fail miserably in that application.

Shadofax i *think* did one. but you're going to want to use some type of channel for support. The flat steel would more than likely either fail, or warp horribly the first time you tried to pull yourself anywhere.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The jeep is the new DD. no need for a winch on it.. its like putting on slippers to go to bed.. pointless. im also selling the 33" that came with it.. there is no need.. I got it for the gas mileage.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts

Shadofax i *think* did one. but you're going to want to use some type of channel for support. The flat steel would more than likely either fail, or warp horribly the first time you tried to pull yourself anywhere.
what if it were a piece of 1/4" plate bent to a 90* with a decent bit of depth andsufficient space to mount the fairlead to the front

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
what if it were a piece of 1/4" plate bent to a 90* with a decent bit of depth andsufficient space to mount the fairlead to the front
anytime you bend steel, you have to use heat. heat weakens steel. you're much better off buying a piece of steel that has been extruded bent or buying a piece of channel, wide enough to fit your winch in, and long enough to connect to the frame rails.

modifying the front bumper to cover it is going to be a project, but it is possible.

i dunno what the frame horns are like on the 89, as i've never seen then, but on the 92 and up we have these wonderful crumple zones, so we kind of have to box the frame or we may do damage to the frame rails.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The place where I plan on placing it there is no crumple zone. what if i was to weld some side rails on the flat piece of steel. instead of bending it. I think it should be strong, at least to hold the wench when pulling. correct me if I'm wrong. but would that work?

p.s. thanks for all the help, this saves me alot of time with trial and error

·
Registered
136 Posts
how many pound winch is it? you might be wasting your time even trying this if it's not big enough.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
how many pound winch is it? you might be wasting your time even trying this if it's not big enough.
That's a good point. don't forget our rigs are kind of heffers in the world of offroading. Much heavier than a jeep.

The place where I plan on placing it there is no crumple zone. what if i was to weld some side rails on the flat piece of steel. instead of bending it. I think it should be strong, at least to hold the wench when pulling. correct me if I'm wrong. but would that work?

p.s. thanks for all the help, this saves me alot of time with trial and error

Anything you do to take the flex will help to support that winch. I don't know what kind of welder you are though, and that's not a shot, i swear.

The problem is, if the welds aren't up to par, and you start pulling on that, you're talking extreme amounts of pressure. (Weight of your truck x What you are stuck in holding you). Welds don't bend or give, they just flat out break, or crack, and over time break.

In my opinion, one solid piece beats three or four pieces welded together.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i dunno what the frame horns are like on the 89, as i've never seen then
pic from ssgttex's supermotors should give some idea, the horns are a bit different so the shadofax and bossind hidden mounts will need some adapting

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

Yeah, shadofax did one too. I have seen it in person and it looks good

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
pic from ssgttex's supermotors should give some idea, the horns are a bit different so the shadofax and bossind hidden mounts will need some adapting
the pictures help, but i am still kind of useless, cause i really can't see how much space you have to work with in the pictures, and i don't want to blindly tell you how to do something without seeing it up close.

PM Dave's Bronco 90, and nicely ask him to take a look at this thread, with a link. the frame horns should be the same as a 90, and i know he's done some work on his front clip to adapt things, he might have some better suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,517 Posts
but you've got the boxed frame which is nice and wide and gives a good place for you to mount your L brackets
The only reason we used L brackets is because we didn't have enough surface area to bolt the C channel to because of the crumple zone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts