Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10000lb Warn winch that I want to install on my truck.I am going to use a hitch mount plate for the winch.That will work for the rear.How have you guys mounted the winch to the front with a stock bumper? Do you build a trailer hitch to fit the front behind the bumper or below the bumper? I don't mind if I have to cut the bumper to scrifice clearance when I am offroading.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
10k and bigger winches need to be mounted feet forward.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120346&highlight=bossind's+bumper+build

Also check out Bossind's bumper.

Both of those are behind the bumper installs, first is 87-91, bossind is 92-96.

Justin
:twak

yes it you want to use a hitch plate to transfer the winch from front to back you will need to custom fit a receiver to the front, you can either do it under the bumper and sacrifice clearance or cut through the bumper and install behind the bumper.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well call me an idiot :doh0715:

I read his post and totally missed the reciever part. basically read "winch, mount, stock bumper" and jumped to conclusions.

Justin

·
Registered
754 Posts
Winch mount

I have a 10000lb Warn winch that I want to install on my truck.I am going to use a hitch mount plate for the winch.That will work for the rear.How have you guys mounted the winch to the front with a stock bumper? Do you build a trailer hitch to fit the front behind the bumper or below the bumper? I don't mind if I have to cut the bumper to scrifice clearance when I am offroading.
Thanks
============
Exactly. I trashed the sway bar and built a receiver that pokes thru the stock bumper. I just slide the lis plate up and off and plug in the winch. Good luck with doing this with a 10k. Mine is a 6k and still pretty heavy. Modified the winch and the bracket that holds it for more strength and ease of lifting. Sorry no pic of the winch.
I have moved on and the setup in the pic is for sale cheap. Ha. it would cost more to ship than I would get for the stuff. Its for a 96. I will be darned if I will throw away something as good as that setup, so I just store it waiting for a needy Bronco guy.
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
there are going to be advantages and disadvantages to every setup. With your hitch mount idea you really should stick to a winch that is 9k max. I just don't think any hitch setup you produce will be strong enough to be pulling more weight than that. The whole idea of hitch mount is to be able to easily move the winch from front to rear as you need. I also like the idea because the thought of buying 2 winches is scary to me. If you then devise a nice quickplug setup this would be great for most situations you might see yourself getting into.

For me, a winch behind the front bumper bolted nicely to some C channel was the way to go. I had thought about having a receiver front and rear but just didn't think I'd need all that. Again though, the hitch idea is nice since you can pull the winch when driving around town, less weight to be lugging around....well probably not much less weight if you have to build the receiver hitch for the front and the rear.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DAMN. This winch is huge. I mean massive.I got it from my Dad who had it bolted to his F-350. She is a old winch but it is a big winch.It looks like I can hang the truck into a tree if I wanted too. I did find that the cable is pinched between the spool and the end support.I will have to do some minor work to it.I will get pics up soon.

The hitch idea would not work for this. It took me and my brother to lift it.I guess I will have to make something for a front bumper on my truck....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. So to fix the winch was only $125.I had to get an end support bracket from Warn.Then I cut about 50' of bad cable and I am still left with 100' of cable.That should be good enough for offroading.I will have to remove the stock front bumper and build a new bumper for the truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts